Welcome Guest
You last visited December 14, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dos Lottery Software 16 bit

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MillionsWanted.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3175 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Every so often I get an idea and drag out a copy of an old dos or win 3.1 software to test it only to be stopped by the error message it is not a 32 bit application.  Some dos programs like GH and LD do run under XP, but say not the original Super Lotto Master.  Outside of setting up a dos machine, any ideas? BobP

Brazil
    Member #51781
    April 24, 2007
    384 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

You could try DOSBox. Several programs will work if you use a DOS emulator ...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      20147 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2007, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Many of the programs I use was originally written on my Tandy1000 years ago, I've made changes to them over the years but never any to make them run on a 32 bit OS and they still work fine in a command window for DOS.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3175 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

You could try DOSBox. Several programs will work if you use a DOS emulator ...

The problem is I can't even get them to copy from the 3.5 disc to the hard drive.  Windoze sees the files, but refuses to bring them over. When I try to run them on disc or create a dos pif I get the Not A 32 Bit Application error.  When I drop to dos or use the dos prompt I get a abort, failed, retry message.  The discs are good, I setup a temp dos machine with an old hard drive, but what I copy from that drive to disc and bring to the new machine won't copy to the new machine.  Win 95/98 had a feature to convert a 16 bit hard drive to 32 bit, but these are 3.5 discs. Any ideas?

BobP

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
          Member #9517
          December 10, 2004
          1380 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2007, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

The only solution seems to be buying an old 486 and install Dos 6.2 or Windows 95 and see if it works then.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            20147 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2007, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

My Tandy 1000 was working fine when I stored it away years ago, but I doubt if I could still read that RGB monitor it had now that I'm use to better.  I'm still using First Choice, a spread sheet and text editor  program a friend gave  me when he moved up to Lotus.  I think the Tandy uses the 8086 chip.

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2007, 9:26 am - IP Logged

The problem is I can't even get them to copy from the 3.5 disc to the hard drive.  Windoze sees the files, but refuses to bring them over. When I try to run them on disc or create a dos pif I get the Not A 32 Bit Application error.  When I drop to dos or use the dos prompt I get a abort, failed, retry message.  The discs are good, I setup a temp dos machine with an old hard drive, but what I copy from that drive to disc and bring to the new machine won't copy to the new machine.  Win 95/98 had a feature to convert a 16 bit hard drive to 32 bit, but these are 3.5 discs. Any ideas?

BobP

I'd try to verify that the disks are actually still good, first. They do die, sometimes.

There may be a newer version of that program somewhere, too.

If none of the emulation options work out, and you decide to go the "old machine route", check for a "freecycle" group within a reasonable drive from you.  Plenty of people have an old unused machine they'd be happy to GIVE away.

Finally, it may be the least amount of trouble to just fire up the editor and write a new app.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

user044's avatar - Lottery-016.jpg
                Upstate New York
                United States
                Member #48358
                December 23, 2006
                152 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

As Yukio said DosBox will run the 16 bit programs. Just google it for the download and the visit thier forum for the "60 second guide". Just this morning I installed it an ran a couple old dos games and after using thier guide had em up and running in no time. If I can be of help on getting you up and running on it give me a holler.

Much Regards

jeff

United States
                  Member #41846
                  June 23, 2006
                  472 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

BobP

Bob

Old machine can read these disks, but newer computer cannot!

I would suspect the disk drive in your new/old computer.  take the disk drive from the old computer and install in the new computer then try loading the program.

older disk drives were not as stable as todays equipment.  I've had several instances where files writen on one disk drive would not work on another drive.  

This does not sound like a windows issue.  windows may be able to read the FAT table (see the files) but can't read the files without errors.  Hope this helps.

p8 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1960 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2007, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Have you tried running the program from the command prompt?

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20147 Posts
                      Posted: August 12, 2007, 12:05 am - IP Logged

Have you tried running the program from the command prompt?

Can you run a DOS program on a machine with Windows any other way?

Evil Looking       

Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3175 Posts
                        Posted: August 12, 2007, 1:20 am - IP Logged

Can you run a DOS program on a machine with Windows any other way?

By creating a PIF for the dos exe or com file you can go directly to the dos window and automatically open the program without going to the dos prompt first. Of course the open window shows the dos prompt in the upper left corner. 

Gail Howard and Lottery Director are dos programs that run in a dos window without having to switch to the dos prompt to open.

My problem is Win XP converted the Win Fat  files to NT files when I switched from win98 to XP. The files on the computer made the conversion just fine, but the files on my tapes and discs are now the wrong type.  Like in the old days when some programs wouldn't run on windows-nt.

I'm running two machines, just don't have the room for two setups.
                        BobP

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1380 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2007, 6:35 am - IP Logged

Just as an experiment, if at all possible, try copy the files to an old FAT16 harddrive and copy the files from the FAT16 drive to the new NTFS drive.