Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Just wanted to share...

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54138
August 6, 2007
15 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I have been on here a few times and this is the first time that I really felt compelled to post. A poster mentioned somewhere that he wanted to give 20% to the church if he ever won the lottery......I wanted to post about Malachi 3:10 but HennyBogan beat me to it!!!!(Great post btw) 

Sooooooooo,

I am responding to DoubleDown's post on the "do you pray" thread which read.... No.  I don't think God has any control over the lotteries.”(I did not post under there or the "mystical" thread if this is incorrect, please forgive ok....)

DISCLAIMER: I do not support any form of addiction.  I believe that addiction is a form of idolatry and I think most of us know what God has to say about that.  I believe that most people who buy a lottery ticket know that if they do not win, it will not take away from their life or their joy (in other words, they do not live for it, they do not idolize it).

With that said:

I just wanted to share this.  I have a love for God and his word…..and you really can find just about anything in the Bible including “lotteries”.  I wanted to shed some light on God’s sovereignty when it comes to the “casting of lots”

The book of Esther: 

Recap: Haman wanted to kill the Jews and Esther, who was Jewish and had been selected to be Queen, found out about his plan…her action saved her people and to this day, our Jewish friends celebrate Purim as a result of this.  Purim is a feast that includes gift giving, celebrating and the reading of the Book of Esther:

Esther 9:24

Haman, the enemy of the Jews had cast Pur (that is the lot) to determined the date in which he would destroy them….

Esther 9:26…”so they call these days Purim….(Purim is usually celebrate before Passover)

Jonah and the Whale

Recap: God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and warn the people of his coming wrath, Jonah ran from God instead.  Trying to hide on a ship, God sent a storm to get his attention and the sailors acting in fear cast the lots to see who was to blame:

Jonah 1:7

Come; let us cast lots that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us.  So they cast the lots and it fell on Jonah.

There are so many more example of casting lots….. too many to mention (the most disturbing is the one in which the soldiers cast lots to see who would get Jesus garments after the crucifixion).

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying that the Bible supports gambling.  The casting of the lots spoken of here was use as a form of divination.

What I am saying is I was just moved to post in that I truly do believe that God answers to no one...He realy is Sovereign....And in His sovereignty, He does answer prayers........Sometimes the answers are "Yes".............sometimes "No" but the bottom line is He does answer.

God says that his thought for us out number the grains of sands (Psalm 139:17-18)

I know that even thought He refuses to violate our “free will” He is still sovereign in spite of what we do.  He knows what is in our hearts and what we think and speak even before we do. 

I think a lot of people will agree with DoubleDown the God has nothing to do with the lotteries (and know that I totally respect your opinion).

But there is one scripture that leads me to believe that God CAN exercise control in all things:“The lot is cast into the lap, but it every decision is from the Lord. (Proverbs 16:33)”

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Hello there Perfect Timing

I thought sure you were going to mention these:

When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots

Matthew 27:35

And they crucified him. Dividing up his clothes, they cast lots to see what each would get.

Mark 15:24 

Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

Luke 23:34

"Let's not tear it," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it." This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said, "They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing." So this is what the soldiers did.

John 19:24 

This verse makes me think of those with gambling problems:

1 As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.

Proverbs 26:11 KJV

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2007, 1:27 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post Perfect Timing!  Thanks for sharing...

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
        Member #51688
        April 19, 2007
        200 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2007, 2:30 am - IP Logged

I have been on here a few times and this is the first time that I really felt compelled to post. A poster mentioned somewhere that he wanted to give 20% to the church if he ever won the lottery......I wanted to post about Malachi 3:10 but HennyBogan beat me to it!!!!(Great post btw) 

Sooooooooo,

I am responding to DoubleDown's post on the "do you pray" thread which read.... No.  I don't think God has any control over the lotteries.”(I did not post under there or the "mystical" thread if this is incorrect, please forgive ok....)

DISCLAIMER: I do not support any form of addiction.  I believe that addiction is a form of idolatry and I think most of us know what God has to say about that.  I believe that most people who buy a lottery ticket know that if they do not win, it will not take away from their life or their joy (in other words, they do not live for it, they do not idolize it).

With that said:

I just wanted to share this.  I have a love for God and his word…..and you really can find just about anything in the Bible including “lotteries”.  I wanted to shed some light on God’s sovereignty when it comes to the “casting of lots”

The book of Esther: 

Recap: Haman wanted to kill the Jews and Esther, who was Jewish and had been selected to be Queen, found out about his plan…her action saved her people and to this day, our Jewish friends celebrate Purim as a result of this.  Purim is a feast that includes gift giving, celebrating and the reading of the Book of Esther:

Haman, the enemy of the Jews had cast Pur (that is the lot) to determined the date in which he would destroy them….

Esther 9:26…”so they call these days Purim….(Purim is usually celebrate before Passover)

Jonah and the Whale

Recap: God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and warn the people of his coming wrath, Jonah ran from God instead.  Trying to hide on a ship, God sent a storm to get his attention and the sailors acting in fear cast the lots to see who was to blame:

Come; let us cast lots that we may know for whose cause this trouble has come upon us.  So they cast the lots and it fell on Jonah.

There are so many more example of casting lots….. too many to mention (the most disturbing is the one in which the soldiers cast lots to see who would get Jesus garments after the crucifixion).

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying that the Bible supports gambling.  The casting of the lots spoken of here was use as a form of divination.

What I am saying is I was just moved to post in that I truly do believe that God answers to no one...He realy is Sovereign....And in His sovereignty, He does answer prayers........Sometimes the answers are "Yes".............sometimes "No" but the bottom line is He does answer.

God says that his thought for us out number the grains of sands (Psalm 139:17-18)

I know that even thought He refuses to violate our “free will” He is still sovereign in spite of what we do.  He knows what is in our hearts and what we think and speak even before we do. 

I think a lot of people will agree with DoubleDown the God has nothing to do with the lotteries (and know that I totally respect your opinion).

But there is one scripture that leads me to believe that God CAN exercise control in all things:“The lot is cast into the lap, but it every decision is from the Lord. (Proverbs 16:33)”

God Bless  that  was  excellent  and  well  spoken....are  you  a  POWER  FOR  ABUNDANT  LIVING  GRAD ???  Mail For You

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2007, 6:00 am - IP Logged

Welcome, Perfect Timing.  Nice post.

Personally, I don't think praying to win the lottery and asking for money is the same thing.  People who play pick-3 and want a little help with the bills or are asking for help to find a new job to feed their families aren't the same as those who are hoping to win $300 million in PB to live a life of luxury. The Bible doesn't say not to buy lottery tickets, but it does discourage greed.

Proverbs 15:16 - Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure with trouble.

Proverbs 15:27 - He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house, but he that hateth gifts shall live.

Everyone has a different translation and understanding of the Bible. I am not a very religious person, and I don't feel guilty for my desire to win a lot of money. However, I'd like to challenge anyone here who says it's okay to pray to G-d to win the lottery to go to church Sunday and, when the Pastor asks if anyone has some special prayer requests, raise your hand and say "I'm sick of working, I want a bigger house and a new sports car, so I want to win a big jackpot this week. Please pray for me."  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10348 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2007, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Actually there are some churches that may not flinch at that. They probalby wouldn't like the tired of working part, but they atre known as part of the Word of Faith (WOF) or "Name it and claim it" or "Blab it and grab it" movement.

Even some of those would balk at a lottery win- but not all of them.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #54138
              August 6, 2007
              15 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2007, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the responses!

Hi  irondoor827!

I do not know what the "power for abundant living" is. 

I am not familiar with who they are.

United States
                Member #51688
                April 19, 2007
                200 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Sooooooooo,

With that said:

The book of Esther: 

Jonah and the Whale

CHEW  ON  THESE  WORDS !!!

Jesus Christ Our Example:
                Knowing the Word and Living It

Luke 11:28:
                ...blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

James 1:22:
                But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Jesus Christ had to know God’s Word in order to keep and live the Word, just as you or I do.  As a boy, he was taught the Scriptures and he diligently studied them.  At the age of twelve, Jesus had tarried in Jerusalem after the Feast of the Unleavened Bread while his family began traveling back to Nazareth.  When the parents discovered that Jesus was missing, they returned to Jerusalem to find him in the Temple.

Luke 2:46,47:
                And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
                And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
                At the age of twelve, Jesus’ knowledge of God’s Word must have been profound for him to be conversing intelligently with scholars.  These distinguished men of great academic learning were astonished by the understanding Jesus had and the answers he gave them.

Five verses later it says:

Luke 2:52:
                And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Jesus did not stop learning or growing in his knowledge of God and of life.  He continued to increase in wisdom by studying and keeping the Old Testament scriptures in his heart and then applying them in life’s situations.

As an adult, shortly after being baptized in the Jordan River by John, Jesus was tempted of the Devil in the wilderness.  By this time he had a tremendous knowledge of the Scriptures to utilize.  Therefore, he could respond to the Devil’s temptations with the words, “It is written.”  What was written?  The Scriptures were written:

Luke 4:4,8,12:
                ...That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
                (Citing Deuteronomy 8:3)

...Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
                (Citing Deuteronomy 6:13 and 10:20)

...Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
                (Citing Deuteronomy 6:16)

When Jesus opened his public ministry at a synagogue in Nazareth, he taught from the Scriptures.

Luke 4:17-20:
                And there was delivered unto him the book [scroll] of the prophet Esaias [Isaiah].  And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
                The Spirit of the Lord
                is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
                To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

And he closed the book [scroll], and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down.  And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
                Jesus was reading to the congregation from Isaiah 61.  He read all of what we know as verse 1 and the first part of verse 2.  He didn’t have chapter and verse markings—Jesus knew exactly where this scripture was found in the scroll and exactly what it meant.  He had studied God’s Word sufficiently to know that he could not read the second part of Isaiah 61:2, which says, “and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn,” for “the day of vengeance” had not yet come.  It was “the acceptable year” which Jesus preached and proclaimed in the Gospel period.  His ministry at that time was to heal the brokenhearted and to preach deliverance to the captives.  When he comes again, he will herald the day of vengeance of our God.

Jesus had so studied the scrolls that when he taught, the words he uttered were the truth of God’s Word.  He researched the Bible, kept it in his heart, and then taught it.

Jesus Christ not only knew the Word, he lived the Word.  It is the privilege of the twenty-first century believer to follow Jesus Christ’s example.

II Timothy 2:15:
                Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

We can know God’s rightly divided Word,
                keep it in our heart,
                and live it in all that we do—
                just like Jesus Christ!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2007, 10:23 am - IP Logged

irondoor827,

Your post sounds like some general passages or stories that have personal inspiration for you, but I can't see how they relate to this topic.  If there is some relevance, please explain.

Can we have a discussion involving Jesus, God, and/or religion in general (related to the lottery, of course) without having general Bible passages posted?  I think this topic started off very interesting, and I would love to see it continued.  If you want to post general religious topics, your blog would be the best place.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!