Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery being taken over by computerized draws

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

do you see a day where most lotteries are computerized instead of ball drawn?

yes in about five years most will be computerized [ 12 ]  [40.00%]
in ten years most will be computerized [ 8 ]  [26.67%]
it will stay about the same these next feww years [ 3 ]  [10.00%]
there will be no more RNG states [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
the trend will be reversed & RNG states will balls [ 4 ]  [13.33%]
not sure [ 3 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: August 8, 2007, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

tennessee going RBNG plus ohio adding a computerized game makes things look bleak for the future.....

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20126 Posts
    Posted: August 8, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

The power is in numbers. If people were to start buying less in the staes with computerized drawings, it will reverse itself. But if the people don't do anything it will never happen.

The players who play these games have the power in their hands.....!!!!

Help spread the word>>>>>    Computerized Drawings should be banned..!!!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: August 8, 2007, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

tennessee going RBNG plus ohio adding a computerized game makes things look bleak for the future.....

I do think maybe less than ten years and most lotteries will be RNG. 

There will never be a boycott that will work, IMHO because of one thing.  Most tickets purchased are Quick Picks.  That means most people don't care whether it is ball-drawn or not because they don't use past histories, nor study the game(s).  They just lay down their greenbacks and look to get lucky. They don't want to think and they don't want to work at it.  They just want a drawing.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10356 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2007, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Good points Badger.....I'd guess that most people that play don't even watch the drawing. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8366 Posts
          Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:39 am - IP Logged

I've said this before and I'll say it again polls like this do more for them than you can possible fathom. They read some of these posts and they don't even have to conduct polls in their states because we do enough of them here on lottery post about computerized drawings.

Polls of this nature can be one of their selling points. Unless they see enough information to forget about going computerized then and only then will we get back to ball drawings.

Plan and simple hard core lottery players don't want computerized drawings. And the casual players could care less. It's a toss up who there most customers are. I'd like to think it's the regular players who play the most throughout the years and it should be them who determine if they go computerized or not.

We all know that there is big government involved in this and if the government wants to make changes to there policies then the people usually have a vote in the matter if states want to switch to computerized drawings then it should be put on a ballot and let the people decide.

If that were to ever happen then there should be a listing of all the fine points about real ball drawings versus computerized drawings so everyone will have enough information to make a decision an how to vote in the matter.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

I think everything  in life is going to be computerized in about 5 to 10 years.  Do you remember the Woody Allen movie, Sleeper, with Rex the mechanical dog? 

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8366 Posts
              Posted: August 9, 2007, 2:03 am - IP Logged

I think everything  in life is going to be computerized in about 5 to 10 years.  Do you remember the Woody Allen movie, Sleeper, with Rex the mechanical dog? 

yea and i remember Rollerball with James Cann they had the best of both worlds with real balls and computerized scoring. LOL ROFL

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: August 9, 2007, 8:58 am - IP Logged

four4me wrote "

Plan and simple hard core lottery players don't want computerized drawings. And the casual players could care less. It's a toss up who there most customers are. I'd like to think it's the regular players who play the most throughout the years and it should be them who determine if they go computerized or not. "

I think the different lotteries already know how many hardcore players they have versus the others.  And the others far outnumber the hard core players.  All the lotteries have to do is look at the number of quick picks sold versus the number of tickets where people play their own numbers, and then add a certain percentage of the pick-your-own crowd to the non-hardcore group (since there are a portion of people who are not hardcore players but use birthday numbers, etc.).

It's not something the lotteries even need to spend time on by reading anything here on LP. Therefore, if QPs are 80% of the total sold (which is a figure a lot of people use) then the actual amount of non-hardcore players is more than 80%.  And since not all of the other 20% (hardcore players) are going to stop playing if the lottery goes RNG, they know they will be losing less than 20% of their players, if that much.  They will likely be able to make that up in marketing in the future. I really don't think they care that much about losing such a small percentage of hardcore players; especially when they look at the amount of savings to them that RNG will produce over the long haul.

FWIW I would rather have the mechanical drawings too.  But I don't see that as becoming a real future trend.

============

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: August 9, 2007, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I think it will happen in the next 5 years or so.

Don't want it to, but it will anyway.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10356 Posts
                    Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

There seem to be assumptions here that the lottery is first and foremost for the players. If only that were true-  the lottery exists to make money for the state and the lottery operators (in the case of privately ran ones). 

I would guess that the average sale is $1 and that the average players is not a hard core lottery fanatic.  A truly "dedicatd" lottery player more than likely sticks to Pick 3 and maybe Pick 4 and looks at jackpot games as a lark and a $1 donation towards the governor's lunch. 

The lottery doesn't care who plays, only how many play.  

As for monitoring this board, I'm sure that they do- but even with all the members here considered (and lurkers), that is only a small, small percentage of all who play.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8366 Posts
                      Posted: August 9, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Well they have to have some interest in the players otherwise they would be at a loss without us.
                      I'm sure they have some concerns regarding their players. In many press releases they state that players felt this way and that about certain drawings and lottery happenings.

Most states annual revenue reports show which games draw the most money and scratch off's usually take the top billing. There are also many dedicated pick 3 and 4 players.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: August 9, 2007, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

there are 50,000 members or so on this site and probably another couple hundred thousand hardcore lottery players.however they are probably looking at those millions of people who buy the powerball tickets every week when they pitch in their couple dollars.those players could care less about ball or RNG draws.there are probably at best 5 or 10 percent of lottery players who really care how its drawn.they look at the other 85 or 90 percent buying powerball tickets and thats who they answer to.thats my guess.......

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10356 Posts
                          Posted: August 9, 2007, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

four4me

Of course they have some interest in the players. Key word some. No players, no business.  But they're definitley no in the business of making a player or two into a millionaire every drawer- they're in the business of making money, like any business. They just make a lot more of it and their "hold" (what's paid out as compared to what comes in) is astronomical.

LOTTOMIKE

Very well said! 

Lep

Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #1303
                            March 27, 2003
                            1508 Posts
                            Posted: August 9, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

There seem to be assumptions here that the lottery is first and foremost for the players. If only that were true-  the lottery exists to make money for the state and the lottery operators (in the case of privately ran ones). 

I would guess that the average sale is $1 and that the average players is not a hard core lottery fanatic.  A truly "dedicatd" lottery player more than likely sticks to Pick 3 and maybe Pick 4 and looks at jackpot games as a lark and a $1 donation towards the governor's lunch. 

The lottery doesn't care who plays, only how many play.  

As for monitoring this board, I'm sure that they do- but even with all the members here considered (and lurkers), that is only a small, small percentage of all who play.

Yes, I would agree with all you say.  I think it is easy for any of us to want tothink that somehow "everybody is like me" because that makes one feel more comfortable. But in the case of hardcore  do-it-myself lottery players vs the Quick-pickers-I-know-I-m-gonna-win group, if one is in the former group, one is definitely in the minority.

============

United States
                              Member #16612
                              June 2, 2005
                              3493 Posts
                              Posted: August 14, 2007, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

My vote is yes within 5 years. I don't like computerized draws.