Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$5 Powerball Quick Pick Oddity

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I got a $5 Powerball QP today, and the numbers are oddly alike.  The powerballs are all different, but the white balls look very similar.  6 shows up twice as the first ball, 15 shows twice as the second number, 51 shows twice as the last position, 8 shows as the first number on one line and the second on another.  I don't often buy this many lines, but I've noticed this type of thing before, too.

Do you think this is a plus or a minus?  I mean it's sorta like playing a wheel, isn't it?  Do you buy lines on separate tickets or anything else to prevent this?  

I've never played MegaMillions, so maybe the same is true for those QP's too. 

United States
    Member #53521
    July 9, 2007
    13 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2007, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I've had a similar odd thing to happen to me in QPs PB as well. If I fill out a card and only have a couple lines of my numbers and the rest QP... the QPs are very similar and have MULTIPLE duplicates from my picks. It's got to the point now I leave the extra slots blank and just ask for the 2 or 3 QPs separate from my own picks sheet.   What?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2007, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

I got a $5 Powerball QP today, and the numbers are oddly alike.  The powerballs are all different, but the white balls look very similar.  6 shows up twice as the first ball, 15 shows twice as the second number, 51 shows twice as the last position, 8 shows as the first number on one line and the second on another.  I don't often buy this many lines, but I've noticed this type of thing before, too.

Do you think this is a plus or a minus?  I mean it's sorta like playing a wheel, isn't it?  Do you buy lines on separate tickets or anything else to prevent this?  

One guess is as good as another. Either way, by buying 5 sets, you have improved your odds from 1 in 146,107,962 to 1 in 29,221,592.Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
        Member #91
        January 19, 2002
        11924 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2007, 6:34 am - IP Logged

LurkingWell it's been awhile since the last "odds" discussion started....let's see who's going to get the ball rolling here.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Indiana
          United States
          Member #29196
          December 29, 2005
          280 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2007, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Lilly,

I've had that happen too and I don't know the answer.  Obviously if some of those numbers hit and you win on multiple lines it's a good thing.  If none of them hit it's a bad thing.

Some fo the weirdest things I've ever seen...I once bought a $5 ticket for Powerball.  I picked the first line and the other 4 lines were Quick Picks.  The number I chose for Powerball repeated on 3 of the Quick Pick lines.  Five lines and the Powerball was the same on 4 of them.

Two weeks ago I made a similar purchase.  On one of the Quick Pick lines all the numbers were over 40!  

That's what you get when you use Quick Picks.  

Jim   

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2007, 10:12 am - IP Logged

i would try getting my tickets at 5 different locations,stores,machines,and see if it's for the whole state,or just that store.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19817 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Can anyone describe an odd looking set of numbers?  What has been described so far might look normal to someone wheeling their numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Lilly,

I've had that happen too and I don't know the answer.  Obviously if some of those numbers hit and you win on multiple lines it's a good thing.  If none of them hit it's a bad thing.

Some fo the weirdest things I've ever seen...I once bought a $5 ticket for Powerball.  I picked the first line and the other 4 lines were Quick Picks.  The number I chose for Powerball repeated on 3 of the Quick Pick lines.  Five lines and the Powerball was the same on 4 of them.

Two weeks ago I made a similar purchase.  On one of the Quick Pick lines all the numbers were over 40!  

That's what you get when you use Quick Picks.  

Jim   

Enough people here have said they've gotten QP's with repeated numbers that I'm figuring the RNG has been designed to select a few numbers more than required for a single line and then generate the multiple lines from that set of numbers. As far as all numbers being over 40, that should be expected now and then. For MM there are 3,819,816 combinations for the 5 white balls, and 6188 of them have no numbers below 40. That means that out of 617 random combinations 1 should  all be 40 and over, and another should have nothing higher than 17. 37 more will also be limited to a 17 number range, but you're less likely to notice when it's the one from 16 to 32.  That's a total of about 6% of all random tickets. I'd guess that far fewer of players' picks are limited to a 17 number range.

Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #30273
                  January 14, 2006
                  494 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:23 am - IP Logged

As long as one number is different in each set, your odds go up, period. One time I had a $10 QP for Powerball with Powerplay with 3 of the same red balls, and that happen to be the one that was drawn with a 5x multiplier. That was a quick $45 return on my $10. Don't count your loosings before the drawing...

United States
                    Member #9579
                    December 12, 2004
                    2121 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:40 am - IP Logged

but looking at the glass half empty,if the numbers that duplicated by the machine were losers,that's a lot of losers!

United States
                      Member #9579
                      December 12, 2004
                      2121 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2007, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

what i was saying previously,was that the lottery probably meant for 5 individuals to come in and buy 5 tickets,each with losing repeat numbers on them.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                        nashville
                        United States
                        Member #49896
                        February 18, 2007
                        1181 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2007, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

I've had a similar odd thing to happen to me in QPs PB as well. If I fill out a card and only have a couple lines of my numbers and the rest QP... the QPs are very similar and have MULTIPLE duplicates from my picks. It's got to the point now I leave the extra slots blank and just ask for the 2 or 3 QPs separate from my own picks sheet.   What?

i noticed that before and since each terminal picks its own numbers i try to spread out quick picks over individual tickets

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                          The Quantum Master
                          West Concord, MN
                          United States
                          Member #21
                          December 7, 2001
                          3675 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2007, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Can you post the exact combinations so I can look them over?

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                          Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                          Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                          Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                          Wisdom is Not Censored
                          Douglas Paul Smallish
                          Jehocifer

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #49896
                            February 18, 2007
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2007, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Can you post the exact combinations so I can look them over?

i think  the tickets are for saturdays drawing so she may not want to show them until the drawing is over and she knows no one will play the same numbers

United States
                              Member #24439
                              October 22, 2005
                              638 Posts
                              Posted: August 10, 2007, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I love your post.

I have tried to discuss this point before but no one gets what I was saying about odds.

I have made posts not too long ago saying that duplicate numbers like yours are lucky. I based a system of picks on these duplicate.

My theory is that if you are buying a handful of lines, you odds of matching the right numbers is greater than say buying one ticket IE 10 > 1. There are 5 white balls in one line (1 of 10). To win using these white balls, you have to match >2 numbers. With you tickets have 10 lines, it is likely that you will duplicate one of the winning numbers. (likely but not compulsory).

With 10 lines, you might get 1 out of 5 or 2 out of 5 and lose(excluding the PB). Or you can get 3 out of 5 etc and win. Because you bought 10 lines and 10 > 10-1. You can see why the numbers that will be draw is likely one of your duplicates.

[I picked one line and played it 8x before I even read your post. I have 2 of the numbers you mentioned in my line. I think that's a good sign.]

Another thing, take a closer look at the numbers you mentioned. 6 is cold, cooler numbers are due. 8, 15 and 51 are adjacent to most recent numbers so the are good because it follows the bell curve.

This is a weird look on odds. I have tried to talk about odds here but people are not receptive. Everyone always goes the odds are the same. Take the number 6 for instance. When 6 was "hot"(whatever that mean) People played it and lost. The number of people playing the number 6 will be virtually decrementing for the past 25 drawings that at this instance, fewer people(looking at past results I guess) are less likely to pick 6. To make up for the discrepancy in the ratio of the number 6 picked (When 6 will be drawn), the machine will spit out more 6s because of all the people who will avoid it.