Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is lottery like poker?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by WalesLottoMan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I just had to say something about this.

In which way(s) is lottery like poker?

The website is down so can't see what might had been there.

The only "Google" group that I found that had xxxxxxx is like power is not a lottery group, but a"group" about "Frugal Living" or whatever.

Anyhow, poker is an inter-active game or a game in which 2 or more people actively play or actively interact with the game and each other thru the game, they all have active participation in the game.

--------

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that lottery games are mostly or only one sided, that is the player(s) does not in any-way affect or effect as the word might be (?) the outcome of the draws, that is the numbers that come out, the players have no active participation in the draws (Drawings), it is true that also in poker the players have no participation in the poker cards that they get either and the players are also playing against random, but also playing against the skills of the other players, in the lottery games the players don't play against the skill of the state lotteries, only against random.

With the lottery, the players' participation is mostly passive and there are mostly random factors involved, even with the use of prediction systems, it is still playing and predicting in accord to and with random.

While with poker is both: Passive and active, so kind of semi-active, that is the game has both: Random and non-random factor.

----------------

With the lottery, you really don't manipiulate anything, the lottery or lottery random manipulates you.

Yes, the lottery or random manipulates how you will predict, because it is in accord to how random works and manipulates the numbers that you will have to predict like.

Random does not work with you, but if you know how, you can try to work with random, that is in accord to how random appears to work.

------------

The lottery is a game of random patterns and their statistics and on your side of what-ever you do or don't do about them, but you can't affect the outcome of the draws no matter what you do.

With poker, you at least help create some of the patterns by your inter-active participation in the game.

Yes, both games are similar in some ways, but hardly "Alike"

In both cases, the person(s) with the best combination of luck and skill will win.

--------------------------- 

I see new changes to the rich text editor that were not there the last time that I used it.

I used a rich text editor from somewhere else that also allows people to insert links to mp3s and also videos from the "youtube" site, very cool!, you see the videos right on the posts and of course also hear the sound, as to the mp3s, I didn't yet use that, but I think that it probably allows people to hear the mp3s (Musi, voice or both) right on the Pc speakers or headphones as you look at the post.

Of course, this being a lottery forum, should have no needed for neither video nor mp3 posts, links can also be posted to sites to where a person can see and or hear those as needed, they don't have to be embeded with the post.

Well, I just had to say that.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2007, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

There was a court case in California that decided poker was a game of skill. The reasoning was that if a given number of people all played for the same amount of time, over that time they would all receive about the same number of good and bad hands. How they played those hands determined if they won or not. 

Cards are less than half of the game of poker, reading people, picking up tells, those kinds of things are just as important. 

In poker there are not only the odds of drawing the cards you need to make a hand, bnut also "pot odds". Pot odds mean that if the pot is only going to pay you 3 to 1 (your money in the post compared to the entire pot) but the odds of drawing your hand are 11 to 1, you might fold that hand.

Sharp players have this all going through their head and this is why recreational players get slaughtered.

I can't see lotto being anything at all like poker, because you may play lotto your entire life and never get a "good hand".  

PS

The "Wise guys" in Vegas figure that there are only two entities in gambling that can be beat, poker and sports betting.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2007, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they are alike.

In poker you have to be in it to win it. Just like lottery.

In poker you can get a straight flush. In lottery, you might not get a straight, and flush the losing tickets.

In poker you can get 3 of a kind. And a triple in p-3.

In poker you can have a full house. If you win the jackpot in lotto, believe me, you'll have a full house.

You can have a pair in poker, and front or back pairs in the p-3, in some states.

And finally, in poker you can get a royal flush, and after a jackpot lotto win, you'll be able to afford a royal flush....LOL

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2007, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to add that in poker you have a pot.

Let's just leave it at that...LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

OK pacattack, tell us how lottery is like cribbage!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

The only time I thought the lottery was like poker was when I was standing in line at Publix and a woman was taking her time scratching tickets.  I wanted to poke her.  Poke

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
              nashville
              United States
              Member #49896
              February 18, 2007
              1181 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2007, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

The only time I thought the lottery was like poker was when I was standing in line at Publix and a woman was taking her time scratching tickets.  I wanted to poke her.  Poke

justx and poker HyperWhite Bounce

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

OK pacattack, tell us how lottery is like cribbage!

Scared

I wish I knew, but I have no Idea how to play cabbage.

Sorry....

But once I find out, I might be able to leaf through the evidence and see the root of the game's rules.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2007, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I was telling a friend that I took my girlfriend to a card game once, and my friend asked...Poker? And I said...NO, not on the first date.

I also told my friend that I took her to a ball game. My friend asked Soccer? I said...NO! She didn't mis-behave.

Abergavenny City
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #54395
                    August 17, 2007
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2007, 9:22 am - IP Logged

I pretend its a tax.  Should get a massive rebate any day now!