Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TODAY'S POLL: Scenarios of remaining anonymous

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DC81.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Which would you prefer and why? (choice details are in the message)

CHOICE A [ 17 ]  [44.74%]
CHOICE B [ 21 ]  [55.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
tnlotto1's avatar - logo
nashville
United States
Member #49896
February 18, 2007
1181 Posts
Posted: August 18, 2007, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

At my age, they'll probably pay me a bonus to put my clothes back on!

the good thing is no one will ask you for money because they wont recognize you in public because you will have your clothes on LOL

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    700 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I live in Louisiana so I have option B.  I don't want to deal with the beggars, mooching relatives, people with sure fire business ventures, and riminals who will try to extort money from winners by threat. Stories I've read here on Lottery Post tell why B is the best option.

I remember one story about a winner in Florida who was getting all sorts of people begging for money. The couple was about to buy a new truck for themselves but when the dealership learned they won the lottery, the price of the truck increased between the time they made the deal and when they went to pick it up.  They ended up buying the truck from another dealership but still, those kind of things can happen even though they shouldn't.  They ended up moving to Nevada, a place where nobody knew them and there was no state income tax.

If I hit it big, I plan to claim it quietly and when I can quit my job, I plan to wait until several months after the win after the excitement has died down, just to keep others from getting suspicious.

I also run a lottery pool down at my job and I've recommended if we do win enough to quit, we claim anonymously, and then leave our jobs one at a time, some months apart, again to avert suspicion.  I don't know if my coworkers will go along with that, but it would be a good way to keep out the moochers, beggars, and other opportunists from finding out.

Just my opinion.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I would prefer choice A.

It SHOULD be that way in every state. I live in P.A., no such luck.

Option B requires you to trust someone (a lawyer, no less) with millions, so that's out.

My plan involves using a trust, but claiming it myself as a trustee.

By clever naming of the trust, such as the "lucky 20 Trust", you can create the illusion that there were multiple winners. You can also decline the press conference and decline photos.

I would NOT claim with any other family members named for their protection, they can be covered in the trust.

what I might do if ever presented with the situation is to record all phone calls and use a cameraphone to capture all solicitations and use them as evidence against the state because to me, identifying the winner = reckless endangerment.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

S.E.TN.
        United States
        Member #29824
        January 7, 2006
        29 Posts
        Posted: August 19, 2007, 7:59 am - IP Logged

I have pictured the way to go in and claim for me and my family. We will go to the costume shop and get the Beverly Hillbillies outfits (missing teeth included), sit in the confrence room and when they ask us what are we goin to do now that we are millionaries Pa will say "Welllll now we's gonna fix the old tin roof, and I recon we can get a hog, and Ma can make a pot of pinto beans". It is either that or we go in in Lotery post t-shirts, ballcaps(go cubbies), and sunglasses. I am still trying to work out all the possibilities.

Party    Good luck to all that play.

Indiana
          United States
          Member #29196
          December 29, 2005
          280 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2007, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I live in Indiana which does not allow an anonymous winner.  However, 2 people have claimed prizes as a Trust and not had their names released so I that gives me some hope that if I ever win I can stay out of the press.  The problem is according to law in Indiana the Executive Director has the sole discretionary authority to release the name of the winner here.  So even if you do claim as a Trust with a nondescript name your name might still be released to the public. 

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the latest Powerball winner.  The Hoosier Lottery is making a big deal out of selling the winning ticket.  As soon as they learned there was a winner they immediately scheduled a "Media "Event" at the store that sold it.  That was Sunday and then on Monday they issued a Press Release saying the winner hasn't come forward yet and everybody wants to know who it is. 

With the way things have been going for the Hoosier Lottery lately I have a feeling they are desperate for some poistive news and I bet they release the winners name even if they do form a Trust.  Which to get back to the original question is, I think, the best way to go. 

Jim

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2007, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I pick choice A based upon the poll question. I like to remain anonymous without having a sales tax.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2007, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I picked choice A.  I don't trust lawyers.Wink  But then, I'm  not that concerned with staying anonymous anymore, either.  I know how to tell people "No."

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                United States
                Member #53008
                June 19, 2007
                67 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Well since I live in Michigan neither options work for me.  So I guess if I win the Mega Millions I'll have to claim it and just let them take pics of me but I will probably avoid any interviews. 

DC81's avatar - batman39
                  MI
                  United States
                  Member #54830
                  August 31, 2007
                  985 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I live in Michigan too and I think I'd lobby for anonymity laws to be passed though it'd be pointless for me, heh.

I think I'd try and beg for my name not to get released and when it didn't work, I'd go do an interview saying how I didn't want to come forward but had no choice. Then get the people who'd reply to it with a  "how dare he say that, he just won millions of dollars, we have a right to know, blah blah blah" attitude.

I'd just try to disappear.

You can't predict random.