Welcome Guest
You last visited May 24, 2017, 1:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

question about the jackpots...

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Yukio.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
spy153's avatar - maren

United States
Member #28409
December 15, 2005
1198 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2007, 10:38 am - IP Logged

If you played all the same numbers on one ticket, the only difference between lines being the pb or mb, and you won.... how would they pay you?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3553 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2007, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

If I understand your question correctly: each line is a completely separate game so each line can win a prize based on the numbers you match. If you played 5 lines and matched 4 of the regular number and got the PB or MM on one line you'd win 4 4+0 prizes and 1 4+1 prize. 

On a related note, if PB reaches a new record and money goes into the 5+0 bonus pool I think it makes more sense to play two lines with different PB's than to choose powerplay.  If you were to match 5+0 on both you'd collect twice the standard prize and twice the bonus. Of course it depends on what you think about the other prize levels, and how much is in the bonus pool. If PB hits 320 and then rolls to 390 there may be very little in the bonus pool (or it could even fall a bit short of 390 and there'd be no bonus pool). If it hits between 350 and 365 and then goes to 390 there could be $1 million for each 5+0 winner.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      20041 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2007, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

If you played all the same numbers on one ticket, the only difference between lines being the pb or mb, and you won.... how would they pay you?

There was a LP news story about a guy that won over a million dollars playing PowerBall that way.  He had nine or so 5+0 and he got one check for the whole lot since he claimed them all at the same time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        20041 Posts
        Posted: August 21, 2007, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

There was a LP news story about a guy that won over a million dollars playing PowerBall that way.  He had nine or so 5+0 and he got one check for the whole lot since he claimed them all at the same time.

I searched for that story and I did find this story of a Michigan women who bought 80 pick4 tickets with the same numbers and hit straight on them all and won $400K.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/139954

Evil Looking       

Brazil
          Member #51781
          April 24, 2007
          384 Posts
          Posted: August 21, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I searched for that story and I did find this story of a Michigan women who bought 80 pick4 tickets with the same numbers and hit straight on them all and won $400K.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/139954

2123 is very similar to 221!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            20041 Posts
            Posted: August 21, 2007, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

2123 is very similar to 221!

2123 is also similar to 123, so what?

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: August 21, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

i think the lottery will let it be won,pb,before we can see a 5-0 bonus pool,as the lottery officials will not want that xtra work,problem!

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                Member #28409
                December 15, 2005
                1198 Posts
                Posted: August 21, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

i think the lottery will let it be won,pb,before we can see a 5-0 bonus pool,as the lottery officials will not want that xtra work,problem!

see that is what I am thinking. But I have heard of people winning, like RJOH showed us, with multiple lines having the same numbers. Only one line would be a jackpot winner. I was just wondering if they would cap it off, like say, if you win the jackpot, the others wouldn't be allowed. But, if the same person got the numbers all on different tickets (I have an uncle who does this) how would they know it was all just thiers ? They could get someone else to claim the money. (I don't recommend.) On one of the recent draws we had, there were 16 5+0 winners. Almost all of them in different states.   

Nevermind, I think we have answered the question. Thanks everyone. What would you do? Would you play them all on ticket or seperate them out? ( As if lottery hq wouldn't figure that out anyway. )

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Brazil
                  Member #51781
                  April 24, 2007
                  384 Posts
                  Posted: August 21, 2007, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Exact, there is places with both numbers. But, maybe not will all the numbers in one place.

There is also even some games on The NET with 123 Bingo and Keno games. There is some IQ test with this number too ...

It sounds like CRAZY talk !!! 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    20041 Posts
                    Posted: August 21, 2007, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

see that is what I am thinking. But I have heard of people winning, like RJOH showed us, with multiple lines having the same numbers. Only one line would be a jackpot winner. I was just wondering if they would cap it off, like say, if you win the jackpot, the others wouldn't be allowed. But, if the same person got the numbers all on different tickets (I have an uncle who does this) how would they know it was all just thiers ? They could get someone else to claim the money. (I don't recommend.) On one of the recent draws we had, there were 16 5+0 winners. Almost all of them in different states.   

Nevermind, I think we have answered the question. Thanks everyone. What would you do? Would you play them all on ticket or seperate them out? ( As if lottery hq wouldn't figure that out anyway. )

It really doesn't matter because most states have a cap rule to cover such situations that would apply to all tickets regardless of who cash them in. 

For example when Ohio had Buckeye5 each 5of5 ticket paid $100K up to $1M and one customer bought 15 tickets with the same five numbers and matched 5of5 on all of them along with another player who matched 5of5 on one tickets. Ohio paid $1M/16 or $62,500 per ticket instead of the $100,000 per ticket.

The guy with the 15 tickets sued the state and the store owner saying they shouldn't have allowed him to buy over 10 tickets with same numbers since 10 would have paid the same as his 15 tickets.  He lost the case.

If you check the states website close enough, you probably find a cap for PowerBall and MegaMillions payouts below the jackpots.  All of California lottery games are parti-mutual including MegaMillions.

Evil Looking       

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: August 21, 2007, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I'd play separate tickets for each line.  That way I could cash in one of the smaller tickets for some ready cash while I was scheming ways to cash the jackpot ticket without anyone knowing it was me.

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #54181
                        August 8, 2007
                        123 Posts
                        Posted: August 21, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

When I first started playing, I thought of different ways to pick the nums just by looking at the bet slip! lol

Different patterns, same numbers on all 5 games (or lines), whatever. For me no such luck... ever.

Wheeling is the way to go and tear it up. Find and Capture those Lotto Jackpots! Wink 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: August 21, 2007, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

For MM I always play all 46 Mega numbers. It would add 11.2 million to whatever the cash prize is and lowers the odds to a 1/56 game. Not that one ticket in a 1/56 game has great odds but it's better than the standard mega odds. Only play when it's over $200 million though. Most states have a maximum cap of around 30 million in the NW. Don't know about other states. You could hit the cap in Oregon by playing with the PowerPlay but Oregon also has an onerous state income tax of 9% with no deductions.

Brazil
                            Member #51781
                            April 24, 2007
                            384 Posts
                            Posted: August 21, 2007, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

21-08-2007. 

Did you knew about the Tri-State Midday  9-1-2-3?

This combination is not unusual ... 

Brazil
                              Member #51781
                              April 24, 2007
                              384 Posts
                              Posted: August 22, 2007, 7:48 am - IP Logged

X123 or 123X only comprime ten bets.

Or