Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Jackpot Boredom

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 9 years ago by csfb.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Greenwich, CT
United States
Member #4793
May 24, 2004
1822 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2007, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Seems to be getting stronger! 

I went out last night at 9:00 to buy my ticket for the $245 Million Powerball drawing...not a single person was in the store besides the clerk.  He was pleased that he could have an easy, quiet evening.  Maybe things will change if the media really runs with the $300m advertised Sat. drawing.

Have you noticed the same jackpot fatigue where you live?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: August 23, 2007, 11:28 am - IP Logged

There was a time when a $200M lottery jackpots was an event and lots of people wanted to be part of it even if they had to travel out of state and/or stand in line to buy a ticket.  Now days jackpots of this size are expected and many people wouldn't buy a ticket for any thing less and certainly wouldn't stand in line for it.

The PB jackpot is $300M this weekend and usually I would be planning to drive to Indiana for tickets but the MM jackpot is $200M+ and the cash value of both jackpots are almost the same so I'm staying home and only buying the local MM tickets this time and I suspect other folks are doing like wise.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: August 23, 2007, 11:43 am - IP Logged

Seems to be getting stronger! 

I went out last night at 9:00 to buy my ticket for the $245 Million Powerball drawing...not a single person was in the store besides the clerk.  He was pleased that he could have an easy, quiet evening.  Maybe things will change if the media really runs with the $300m advertised Sat. drawing.

Have you noticed the same jackpot fatigue where you live?

$200M doesn't go as far as it used to... and since so many more states mave joined the jackpot games, the players don't have to, either. Sleep

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: August 23, 2007, 11:46 am - IP Logged

The local news on the CBS affiliate did a live broadcast from Jackson's on Orchard on their 10:00 pm report.  That's where 2 jackpot tickets have been sold, including Brad Duke's.  They interviewed people from Meridian who drove all the way just to buy from a "lucky" store.  (Not that Meridian is far, only a 15 minute drive, but there are like 20 lottery outlets along that drive.)

Surprisingly, I haven't seen many of the Powerball ads that they usually start running when the jp reaches 150 mil or so.  You know, the ones with the guy in a red ball suit trying to squeeze thru spaces too small and the tagline "Powerball is huge" or something like that.  I don't think I saw even one between the Sat drawing and last night's. 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
          nashville
          United States
          Member #49896
          February 18, 2007
          1181 Posts
          Posted: August 23, 2007, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

there was no line in kentucky today for powerball so i still have my future for georgia megamillions and i bought some kentucky powerball today i might buy tennessee powerball since it is the only one not RNG here now. im sure there will be lines on saturday here in tennessee because they will want to play up the powerball and downplay all the RNG mistakes revealed here in tennessee this week.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2007, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

The local news on the CBS affiliate did a live broadcast from Jackson's on Orchard on their 10:00 pm report.  That's where 2 jackpot tickets have been sold, including Brad Duke's.  They interviewed people from Meridian who drove all the way just to buy from a "lucky" store.  (Not that Meridian is far, only a 15 minute drive, but there are like 20 lottery outlets along that drive.)

Surprisingly, I haven't seen many of the Powerball ads that they usually start running when the jp reaches 150 mil or so.  You know, the ones with the guy in a red ball suit trying to squeeze thru spaces too small and the tagline "Powerball is huge" or something like that.  I don't think I saw even one between the Sat drawing and last night's. 

i havent seen that commercial here in tennessee but they have the on where the guy goes back for his high school reunion and all the women want him because he is a powerball winner. they also have the one where the guy buys his parents a motor home and the other guy buys his brother a boat with his powerball winnings. the high school reunion is my favorite one.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
              Member #15309
              May 13, 2005
              307 Posts
              Posted: August 23, 2007, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

There was a time when a $200M lottery jackpots was an event and lots of people wanted to be part of it even if they had to travel out of state and/or stand in line to buy a ticket.  Now days jackpots of this size are expected and many people wouldn't buy a ticket for any thing less and certainly wouldn't stand in line for it.

The PB jackpot is $300M this weekend and usually I would be planning to drive to Indiana for tickets but the MM jackpot is $200M+ and the cash value of both jackpots are almost the same so I'm staying home and only buying the local MM tickets this time and I suspect other folks are doing like wise.

That's right.  A $200M jackpot used to be an event.  We would make it a weekend trip to the Arizona border to buy tickets.  Not anymore.  But, who knows, if the PB jackpot reaches $400M maybe I'll be tempted to go on that trip, and join the fun.  Party

Sun Smiley