Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

OpenOffice Calc & iWorks Numbers

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2007, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know if either of these apps has macro capabilities as good as Excel.

Numbers has a nice video preview, but I need to know if I can write some real code with teeth behind the pretty graphs. 

Calc looks like it has potential. I'd want a good book on it. I hate fishing around in 'help'. Any recos?

Also, right now I have OO 2.0 and I'd like to know if I can just DL a patch to 2.2 or if I have to get a new full 2.2 install... 

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2007, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Wow +100 views & 0 replies. Oh well ... 

• I did some digging and according to the review of Numbers over at macworld, my needs would be "esoteric". No macro support in Numbers = total deal breaker. Unhappy
    • There aren't many books on OO yet, so "good" may depend on how "typical" the needs of the user are. I'm beginning to suspect I might not want to make the jump just yet. Disapprove
    • Currently, the "update" links for OO are full download links. Crazy All-or-None there, but as Calc doesn't yet have the same hard copy support as Excel, this won't be an issue for a while.

Sticking with the tried-and-true...

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I found an online StarBasic "book" (274pg) after jumping through 3 or 4 links on the OO home page. So, I will keep OO around as an alt option.
      Home --> Contributing --> Programming --> 'add a feature'
      http://docs-pdf.sun.com/817-1826/817-1826.pdf

It shows how to do some of the more out of the way things.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
        CA
        United States
        Member #2987
        December 10, 2003
        832 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

time*treat -

Thanks for the link. You may just have solved a long-standing problem I've had with a project.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2007, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

The folks over at www.dmaths.org (select english/french in the sidebar) have an add-on for OO that lets you pull up functions easier, insert curves, and make diagrams.

May save you some keystrokes Type

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know if either of these apps has macro capabilities as good as Excel.

Numbers has a nice video preview, but I need to know if I can write some real code with teeth behind the pretty graphs. 

Calc looks like it has potential. I'd want a good book on it. I hate fishing around in 'help'. Any recos?

Also, right now I have OO 2.0 and I'd like to know if I can just DL a patch to 2.2 or if I have to get a new full 2.2 install... 

I bought a copy of OpenOffice.  OO will not support VBA.  Or should I say OO did not have a function which would initiate my VBA Excel program.

What is will do is display your Excel program as if it were an Excel program.  When I discovered the lack of support for VBA, I deleted the program and looked no further.  OO may be suitable for what you are doing, however. 

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I bought a copy of OpenOffice.  OO will not support VBA.  Or should I say OO did not have a function which would initiate my VBA Excel program.

What is will do is display your Excel program as if it were an Excel program.  When I discovered the lack of support for VBA, I deleted the program and looked no further.  OO may be suitable for what you are doing, however. 

OO has its own programming language called 'StarBasic'. Earlier, I posted a link to an e-book (PDF) of the language manual.

If you wanted to convert your excel to calc, you would need to recode the VBA into the StarBasic. That's not a casual task for those of us with a lot of code behind us. But, it's good to know that the capability is there. The apple product, Numbers, has NO programming component to it, so that one is out, for me.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23261 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2007, 12:37 am - IP Logged

What about looking around for a outdated version of Excel for sale?

If you looking for a great spreadsheet that does VBA, and is cheap as well, that would be the way to go.  Getting the latest and greatest is of little value to most people, especially if your focus will be macros and VBA.  There have been no significant changes to VBA in a long time, I would say either Excel/Office XP or Excel/Office 2003 is good.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2007, 1:04 am - IP Logged

What about looking around for a outdated version of Excel for sale?

If you looking for a great spreadsheet that does VBA, and is cheap as well, that would be the way to go.  Getting the latest and greatest is of little value to most people, especially if your focus will be macros and VBA.  There have been no significant changes to VBA in a long time, I would say either Excel/Office XP or Excel/Office 2003 is good.

Yep. I'm still using some stuff that I wrote in Office Excel 97, too, and using reference books from back then.

With the exception of Office 2007, I think most of the changes after '97 are cosmetic. Not counting security patches.

If someone is just starting out (or maybe you just hate Redmond P***ed), I'd say go with OO's "Calc". The SB language seems robust enough. 

If you think you might want to trade code w/ other people, then go w/ Excel (it still has a greater installed user base) 

NASHVILLE, TENN
                    United States
                    Member #33372
                    February 20, 2006
                    1044 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2007, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Prior to teaching myself VBA, I used Liberty Basic.  While the program was good, my code still took two hours to run. 

With Excel and VBA, that time has been reduced to one hour. 

Now I am learning C++.  Hopefully C++ will reduce the time even more.