Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I Can Spot 'Em!

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Can you tell which winners will blow or invest their jackpots

Yes [ 7 ]  [14.29%]
No [ 14 ]  [28.57%]
Not Sure, But My Guess Is Usually Right Over 50% [ 3 ]  [6.12%]
Never Tried to Determine [ 25 ]  [51.02%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2007, 1:26 am - IP Logged

Have you ever looked at a jackpot winner and thought to yourself, yeah, there goes a person who will be broke in a few years, or there goes a person who will be worse off than before the win.  Can you also look at a person and tell whether they will likely make wise investments/decisions with their new found wealth?  Sometimes you can just look at the press conference and spot the ones that will surely head down the path of lottery win disaster.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2007, 2:20 am - IP Logged

No, you can't (spot 'em) 

I don't judge people because I've been on the other side of that coin.

In college some of the guys didn't much care for me because daddy didn't buy me a new car, pay my way into the most exclusive frat house, or give me an unlimited Mastercard. 

You can call it 'financial profiling', and some of the 'richest' people I know shop bargain-basement - this is how they KEEP their money, and I also knew two guys that would spend upwards of $125 on a SHIRT - ONE SHIRT - and this was 25 years ago when $125 was like $250-350 in today's dollars. 

Today, one of these guys basically lives out of his Toyota and is a cook in a restaurant, the other one daddy still gives him everything.  Nothing wrong with being a cook in a restaurant, but that's not where most people thought he would end up.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2007, 2:27 am - IP Logged

It's none of my business, since I don't know the people who win and what they do with their money has no effect on my life. 

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
        Just outside of Cleveland, OH
        United States
        Member #54079
        August 3, 2007
        106 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2007, 11:22 am - IP Logged

No, I cannot tell on appearance ALONE

But let me read a few paragraphs about them and their habits and I can pretty much tell whether they're going to be on the latest round of "(Tragic) Sotries of the Lottery Winners" or not.  Might come from having worked in a Drug Rehab Center as a Treatment Tech during my nurse's training and now having reached the age where I've met plenty of people like Jack W. and David Lee E.  Bud P. et al.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2007, 11:28 am - IP Logged

No. If all someone has to do is look at someone and judge them, then I think that person would be pretty shallow.

Gonna win.Big Smile

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: August 27, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

It depends on what kind of hat they have on, and if they are wearing sunglasses or not.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
              nashville
              United States
              Member #49896
              February 18, 2007
              1181 Posts
              Posted: August 27, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

my vote was for never tried to determine. i like to see the winners and hear the interviews if they do one but i dont try to predict their future

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever looked at a jackpot winner and thought to yourself, yeah, there goes a person who will be broke in a few years, or there goes a person who will be worse off than before the win.  Can you also look at a person and tell whether they will likely make wise investments/decisions with their new found wealth?  Sometimes you can just look at the press conference and spot the ones that will surely head down the path of lottery win disaster.

How about looking at the millions of people that buy lottery tickets every week. Can you spot which one if they won, would come forward and take the cash option and have financial problems in the future?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

The best interview I ever saw with a winner was the a press conference with a Powerball winner. They asked him what he was going to do with the money and he said something like,

"Are you kidding, I can't answer a question like that right now. I'm lucky to know my own name at this moment."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2657 Posts
                    Posted: August 28, 2007, 11:12 am - IP Logged

The best interview I ever saw with a winner was the a press conference with a Powerball winner. They asked him what he was going to do with the money and he said something like,

"Are you kidding, I can't answer a question like that right now. I'm lucky to know my own name at this moment."

I Agree! 

heck I'd probably feel the same way if I got that lucky

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                      Member #15309
                      May 13, 2005
                      307 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2007, 8:01 am - IP Logged

No, I can't spot 'em.  Though profiling is a habit of mine.  I usually profile people that I meet, or talk to on the phone, or correspond with, or read about based on their accent, choice of words, choice of clothes, choice of car, choice of drink, etc.  Sometimes, I am correct;  sometimes not.

Sun Smiley             

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: August 30, 2007, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I hope the winners step forward and take cash option.

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: August 30, 2007, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I hope the winners step forward and take cash option.

Don't forget to hope they do not have financial problems later in life, since that is the topic here.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: September 1, 2007, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

No, I can't spot 'em.  Though profiling is a habit of mine.  I usually profile people that I meet, or talk to on the phone, or correspond with, or read about based on their accent, choice of words, choice of clothes, choice of car, choice of drink, etc.  Sometimes, I am correct;  sometimes not.

The only thing I can even remotely say I 'stereotype' people to is, if they drive a trashy car, they usually live in a trashy house.

I don't mean the car itself: I mean how clean it is kept up inside: trash piling up in the car, then the interior of their house is usually the same way.

Immaculate interior of a car: immaculate interior of their home.

Not always, but 95% of the time. 

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                              Member #15309
                              May 13, 2005
                              307 Posts
                              Posted: September 8, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

The only thing I can even remotely say I 'stereotype' people to is, if they drive a trashy car, they usually live in a trashy house.

I don't mean the car itself: I mean how clean it is kept up inside: trash piling up in the car, then the interior of their house is usually the same way.

Immaculate interior of a car: immaculate interior of their home.

Not always, but 95% of the time. 

I agree.  Clean car, clean house.  One of the factors I consider when  profiling a prospective tenant is how clean his car is.  If he keeps his car clean, more likely than not, he'll keep my house clean.

The big difference between profiling and stereotyping is that in profiling, one gathers information first BEFORE creating a profile; whereas in stereotyping, a profile is created first (based on pre-conceived notions) before gathering the facts.

Sun Smiley