Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Having others buy your tickets

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2007, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Well I had my brother go and buy me Mega Millions tickets for last Friday's drawing.  I asked him to pick me up 20 tickets.  Well he came back with one ticket good for the next 20 draws!  I was like wow.  haha.  Figures I should do it myself right.  haha.  Now I get to hold on to that ticket for the next 10 weeks.  But can you imagine by some sort of luck that ticket turns out to be a big winner.  I can see the headlines now "Mistake ticket leads to riches"  haha...I can only dream

Brad

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49725 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2007, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

If you want something done the way YOU want it: Do It yourself!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2007, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Money can bring out the worst in people, even your friends and family. I think it's best to buy the tickets yourself. One time a few years ago, I was about to leave to buy some PowerBall tickets and my neighbor that was over at our house wanted to give me $2 to buy Quick Picks for her. I told her I don't like to buy lottery tickets for others. She was like "Why? What's wrong? You're going anyway aren't you?", making a big scene, not able to figure out why I couldn't do such a "simple" thing. So, to stop it right there, I went ahead and said ok, and took the $2. So, I went to the store and gave the clerk my $5 playslip, and also asked for a $2 Quick Pick. Do you know what I did next? I went over the to playslips and filled out another playslip with the same numbers that were on my neighbor's $2 Quick Pick. When I got home, I gave her one of the $2 tickets(the one that has QP next to the sets to indicate it was a Quick Pick), while I kept my $7 worth(the $5 I normally played and the duplicate $2 one).

I refuse to get caught in the mess. Winning the lottery isn't exactly easy, but it's not impossible. It CAN happen. I think people should just buy their own tickets. So many people turn against you because they feel they should get a piece or are entitled to a certain percentage of the jackpot.

Gonna win.Big Smile

wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
        oklahoma
        United States
        Member #12313
        March 10, 2005
        165 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I would rather have multiple draws instead of multiple tickets one draw!....I can never get anyone to understand that !..they always get multiple tickets on one draw! One shot and you are done, I like my chances better with one line multiple draws. More bang for your buck, personally I think the odds  are better!Naughty

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2007, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

Bradly_60

It always helps if the person you have getting tickets for you is also a player, so they know the lingo and know exactly what you mean.

Anyway, like you said, you have tickets for the next 10 weeks.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2007, 1:52 am - IP Logged

I've asked relatives in states where they have MM or PB to buy me a few tickets once in a while.  I figure I have nothing to lose. 

I don't think I'd ever ask anyone to bet my personal numbers for me unless I was unable to get to a retailer because of illness.  Then I would just give him/her my cards.  (I've never had to do this, because I can walk to 7-11.)  Otherwise there are too many things that can go wrong, as you just learned.  Someone can also buy tickets for the wrong game.  At least with QPs you never know what you would have won, so it's not as bad as giving someone numbers to play, they make a mistake and they hit that night!