Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Taxes on out of state lottery win?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
Vancouver, WA
United States
Member #53665
July 15, 2007
151 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2007, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I am a new member here and I think I saw the answer to my question while I was lurking in the forums, but can't for the life of me find the thread now.  So, forgive me for asking the question again.

My question is:  Mega Millions is available in Washington State and I live in Oregon (live just across the river).  Since Washington doesn't tax lottery wins and according to USA Mega site, Oregon taxes at 8%, how does the cross state taxes apply? 

I know that I would have to claim my winning (keeping a positive attitude) in Washington where no state tax would be removed.  Do I have to immediately have to notify Oregon of the winnings or can it wait until the April tax time.

Any advise would be appreciated

NightTrain1234's avatar - 8ball
    a Powerball AND MegaMillions state!
    United States
    Member #24190
    October 20, 2005
    78 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2007, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Since you won it in Washington, I would think you would only owe any taxes in that state.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Vancouver, WA
      United States
      Member #53665
      July 15, 2007
      151 Posts
      Posted: September 5, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Since you won it in Washington, I would think you would only owe any taxes in that state.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the reply NightTrain.  Can anyone else verify this info?

Thanks in advance.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: September 5, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the reply NightTrain.  Can anyone else verify this info?

Thanks in advance.

Does Oregon have a state income tax?

If they do, you're probably required to use the same income as on the the Federal form.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: September 5, 2007, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

If you live in CT you could pay in both states.  Confused

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2000/rpt/olr/htm/2000-r-0955.htm

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: September 5, 2007, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Iowans can claim a tax credit if they pay to another state.

http://www.state.ia.us/tax/educate/79102.html

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

PA and NJ.  Sorry, can't find anything for OR.  I'd email your state tax commission and ask.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20070831_Pa__winner_would_keep_less_of__330_million.html

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4532 Posts
                Posted: September 5, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

This is strictly for out of state lottery when won thru the MD lottery.

Out of state players pay the standard 25% (federal) plus 6% to MD. Then ya get to go home to your own state and pay the piper there. My state is PA , so for the Mega Millions it would go as follows:

Jackpot won- 10 million(cash value) Less technically 35% federal, Less 6% to good ole Maryland, Less 3.07% to PA State Rev, Leaving a whopping ONE DOLLAR ( okay its a wee bit more then that, I just like the ONE DOLLAR commercial) 

Leaving 5.59 million to do with as one pleases.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3475 Posts
                  Posted: September 6, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't know the specifics for Oregon, but it's always a safe bet that a state with an income tax will collect  tax on your taxable income, regardless of where it came from. What counts as taxable income will vary from place to place, but unless Oregon exempts lottery winings or all gambling winnings, it will be taxable income. Some states make winnings in their own lotteries exempt, but there's no reason they would make winnings from another state exempt.

As far as notifying Oregon of oyur win, you'd probably never have to do that. You would have to report the income and presumably list it as gambling income. When you would have to do that depends on their rules and when you win. Generally, you should expect that  for taxable income where taxes haven't been withheld you are obligated to make quarterly payments of estimated taxes .

Vancouver, WA
                    United States
                    Member #53665
                    July 15, 2007
                    151 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2007, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I don't know the specifics for Oregon, but it's always a safe bet that a state with an income tax will collect  tax on your taxable income, regardless of where it came from. What counts as taxable income will vary from place to place, but unless Oregon exempts lottery winings or all gambling winnings, it will be taxable income. Some states make winnings in their own lotteries exempt, but there's no reason they would make winnings from another state exempt.

As far as notifying Oregon of oyur win, you'd probably never have to do that. You would have to report the income and presumably list it as gambling income. When you would have to do that depends on their rules and when you win. Generally, you should expect that  for taxable income where taxes haven't been withheld you are obligated to make quarterly payments of estimated taxes .

That is the crazy thing about Oregon...there is no sales tax at all, but they want 8% for lottery winnings.  Definately drives me crazy at times cuz we pay taxes on our wages from work, then have to pay taxes of winnings that are generated with post tax $.  Guess that is why I am a grunt and not a general.  HAHA

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: September 12, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Good thing CA doesn't have a state lottery tax if I win a jackpot.