Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Won :-(

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 9 years ago by ryanm.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19831 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I am sure at least 2 of those tickets were picked numbers.  I don't see 4 tickets being sold if they were all easy picks.  There was only 137,000,000 tickets sold which I thought was kinda low.  But there will be no $500+ million jackpots if they keep the matrix this way.  We just buy too many tickets. 

"But there will be no $500+ million jackpots if they keep the matrix this way.  We just buy too many tickets."

And yet if we don't buy more tickets there will be no $500+ million jackpots either.  A matrix change will create more losers, do we not have enough losers now?  Are losing players willing to lose even more just to see $500+ million jackpots?  Those are the questions.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Any town, USA
    United States
    Member #46729
    September 25, 2006
    112 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I wonder if any of the winners are going to be disappointed they 'only' won 82 million instead of 330 million?  :-)

I am one of the winners and disappointed that I only got the Megaball - $2 

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
      Atlantic Mine, Michigan
      United States
      Member #416
      June 23, 2002
      1614 Posts
      Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

"But there will be no $500+ million jackpots if they keep the matrix this way.  We just buy too many tickets."

And yet if we don't buy more tickets there will be no $500+ million jackpots either.  A matrix change will create more losers, do we not have enough losers now?  Are losing players willing to lose even more just to see $500+ million jackpots?  Those are the questions.

Yes I agree.  We can't go with longer odds....what we need is a  higher ticket price.  $2 and maybe odds of 1 in 100 million.  I think that might help out to bring about the jackpots that they once promised.

Brad

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10354 Posts
        Posted: September 1, 2007, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Just my $.02 on this- and it may not be popular- but I'd rather see multiple winners (not a pool, individuals) from multiplae states.

It's better for everone invilved, the players and the lottery.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: September 1, 2007, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I suppose it depends on how many of these $200 million jackpots a person has "contributed" to. It might seem reasonable to buy 50 tickets and maybe even somewhat justified because of what we could win until we have done it a few times. Eventually people will figure out that they weren't kidding when they say the overall odds of winning anything is 1 in 40 and they just donated 50 bucks.

Last night my donation dropped to $10 and since the jackpot was won, I won't have to think about my next donation for a couple of months. When I bought 50 tickets I cashed for $7 so maybe I should be happy with the fact I decreased my losses from $43 to $10.

"Are losing players willing to lose even more just to see $500+ million jackpots?"

That depends on the players that contribute $5 a draw while the jackpot is building. There are other games and if those players decide they can get more for their lottery bucks playing them, we might see jackpots under $100 million for months.

The lower prize payoffs are terrible so even when the jackpot is high it's difficult to figure out how we can get the most out of our lottery budget. I was looking at Maddog's challenge where people pick 12 numbers and 4 Mega balls and thought of a way where they could play it for $12 and get a decent win expectation. Use the 3if4 of 12 number wheel and use each of the Mega balls 3 times. Compare it to buying 12 QPs.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7322 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Just my $.02 on this- and it may not be popular- but I'd rather see multiple winners (not a pool, individuals) from multiplae states.

It's better for everone invilved, the players and the lottery.  

That is why lotteries have experimented with raffles.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49835 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2007, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes! They were thinking of the Players: Not All the Money they would Rake In! ROFL

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Entertaiment Capital
                United States
                Member #37800
                April 19, 2006
                302 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Well, there's always Super Lotto for me. I live in CA.

United States
                  Member #54390
                  August 17, 2007
                  313 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2007, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Why be pessimistic; congrats to the winners.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: September 1, 2007, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Why be pessimistic; congrats to the winners.

Yes, Congratulations to all the winners !

I like seeing multiple jackpot winners......spread it around !!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10354 Posts
                      Posted: September 1, 2007, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Stack47

Good in theory but the way they've been conductd so far, so-so.

A higher price tag with a much lower and stagnant top prize and a minute number of winners, everything being relative. 

The way Illinois did it, anyway- 500,000 tickets had to be sold, at $20 a pop, and 509 winners. This is a bookie's dream come true. 

509 / 500,000 = 0.001018 winners. Have a lucky day! 

I don't think four $1,000,000 prizes will ever create quite the stir that a $330,000,000 prize does, either- but that's just me! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: September 1, 2007, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes I agree.  We can't go with longer odds....what we need is a  higher ticket price.  $2 and maybe odds of 1 in 100 million.  I think that might help out to bring about the jackpots that they once promised.

Brad

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a $2 ticket price if they doubled all the prizes, including the jackpot.