Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Waiting in line etiquette

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2007, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

When buying lottery tickets (or anything else for that matter) I usually wait until the person in front of me is through with his/her transaction before I begin mine.

Just because I am putting my tickets into my plastic sleeve doesn't mean I'm done yet, and I resent someone walking up to the counter and calling out "I'd like 10 QPs for Lotto."  I think it's often the clerk's fault, because he/she should ask "is that everything?" before helping another customer. 

I've been reading about SC since I might move to Greenville (or not!) and many posters say that everyone is very kind & friendly.  I wonder if growing up in Boston and then moving to Florida has hardened me a bit, since everyone is always in such a rush.  In the winter, you'll find that the snowbirds & tourists are the most impatient of all, and they're only on the way to the beach or to play golf.

Just venting a little.  I was going to buy a couple of QPs, but I didn't.  I know buying them before or after this man doesn't make a huge difference, but I'm a little superstitious.  Well, there's still 7-11 down the road and I was thinking about getting a beer anyway.  (What is it lately? I don't even drink & I get these urges for a cold beer.  Then I pass out anyway.)

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday night and wish you all a lot of luck, that is, unless you cut in front of someone! 

LOL

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
    Vancouver, WA
    United States
    Member #53665
    July 15, 2007
    151 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2007, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I know what you mean.  Was in line the other week to get my tickets for PB (before the jackpot was won that night) and I had a guy behind me who was being a jerk.  I handed over my slips and while the lady was running the slips, this guy was yelling at the clerk to hurry up.  After she handed me the tickets, I normally verify that the tickets match what numbers that I play and suddenly this guy just pushes me to the side, tells me, "Hurry up f**ker" and tells the clerk that he wanted 100 $5 PB tickets.  Needless to say, I will not use that store for my ticket purchases any more.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

When buying lottery tickets (or anything else for that matter) I usually wait until the person in front of me is through with his/her transaction before I begin mine.

Just because I am putting my tickets into my plastic sleeve doesn't mean I'm done yet, and I resent someone walking up to the counter and calling out "I'd like 10 QPs for Lotto."  I think it's often the clerk's fault, because he/she should ask "is that everything?" before helping another customer. 

I've been reading about SC since I might move to Greenville (or not!) and many posters say that everyone is very kind & friendly.  I wonder if growing up in Boston and then moving to Florida has hardened me a bit, since everyone is always in such a rush.  In the winter, you'll find that the snowbirds & tourists are the most impatient of all, and they're only on the way to the beach or to play golf.

Just venting a little.  I was going to buy a couple of QPs, but I didn't.  I know buying them before or after this man doesn't make a huge difference, but I'm a little superstitious.  Well, there's still 7-11 down the road and I was thinking about getting a beer anyway.  (What is it lately? I don't even drink & I get these urges for a cold beer.  Then I pass out anyway.)

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday night and wish you all a lot of luck, that is, unless you cut in front of someone! 

LOL

Earlier I stopped in at a party, they had a keg, gallons of chardonnay and blush, needless to say, I had two beers and was done. So here I is, enjoying the end of the race and typing on LP. Thanks for the thoughts JX!

Cheers

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        482 Posts
        Posted: September 11, 2007, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

I know what you mean.  Was in line the other week to get my tickets for PB (before the jackpot was won that night) and I had a guy behind me who was being a jerk.  I handed over my slips and while the lady was running the slips, this guy was yelling at the clerk to hurry up.  After she handed me the tickets, I normally verify that the tickets match what numbers that I play and suddenly this guy just pushes me to the side, tells me, "Hurry up f**ker" and tells the clerk that he wanted 100 $5 PB tickets.  Needless to say, I will not use that store for my ticket purchases any more.

You should buy your tickets early in the morning, like at 6am when most people are still asleep.  Then you don't have to worry about people waiting in line.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2007, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm pretty patient when it comes to waiting in line.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7310 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

"I normally verify that the tickets match what numbers that I play"

The store where I play stopped cashing paychecks and there usually is no line so I got out of the habit of checking the tickets. Last night there was a guy off to the side playing scratch-offs when I handed the clerk 4 betslips and 7 winning tickets. While she was either checking my tickets or running the betslips, the guy hands her a $2 scratch-off winner, gives her a $10 and asks for 6 more tickets. The clerk stopped what she was doing and gives him the tickets.

As she is handing me the betslips, the tickets, and money, he jumps in front of me again. This time I tell him to wait his turn, checked my tickets and the clerk had ran 2 of the betslips twice and didn't run the other 2. Now the clerk has to cancel 2 of the tickets while I had to sort out which 2 betslips she didn't run.

I call this the "Murphy's Law effect" where the rude behavior of the scratcher distracted the clerk so she made a mistake. 

"I had a guy behind me who was being a jerk."

I see this happening more and more where one person is oblivious to the people around them and is always in hurry while the others are taking their time. They might use different methods; your guy used intimidation and mine was just plain rude. But the good news this time, it happened in a checkout line and not while driving a car.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: September 11, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Take solace in the fact that this pond scum lost his $500. LOL !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1953 Posts
                Posted: September 11, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

"I normally verify that the tickets match what numbers that I play"

The store where I play stopped cashing paychecks and there usually is no line so I got out of the habit of checking the tickets. Last night there was a guy off to the side playing scratch-offs when I handed the clerk 4 betslips and 7 winning tickets. While she was either checking my tickets or running the betslips, the guy hands her a $2 scratch-off winner, gives her a $10 and asks for 6 more tickets. The clerk stopped what she was doing and gives him the tickets.

As she is handing me the betslips, the tickets, and money, he jumps in front of me again. This time I tell him to wait his turn, checked my tickets and the clerk had ran 2 of the betslips twice and didn't run the other 2. Now the clerk has to cancel 2 of the tickets while I had to sort out which 2 betslips she didn't run.

I call this the "Murphy's Law effect" where the rude behavior of the scratcher distracted the clerk so she made a mistake. 

"I had a guy behind me who was being a jerk."

I see this happening more and more where one person is oblivious to the people around them and is always in hurry while the others are taking their time. They might use different methods; your guy used intimidation and mine was just plain rude. But the good news this time, it happened in a checkout line and not while driving a car.

Ya, those scratcher people can be annoying sometimes.

Gonna win.Big Smile

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5120 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2007, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

You should buy your tickets early in the morning, like at 6am when most people are still asleep.  Then you don't have to worry about people waiting in line.

thanks>>>>>>>>JXP

On the last Mega rampage........even my special people @ psykos

lottery hole's made me feel.......like i was a bull in a FEED LOT.....

PEDA could not save ME & all the KUICK-TRICK's...........PSYKOMO 

tried to PULL on the computer'ssssssssssssssss..........cost me $

L@@K's like I was being blocked @ every>>>>>..........TURN!!!!!!

advice>>>>>>>to ALL^^^^^^^^^^if you want QP's ask for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSYKOMO!!!!!!!!!!

got rejected and BET-SLIP's were SPIT-OUT>>>>>>>>>>>

like cattle @ De

SLAUGHTER>>>>>>>>>>++++++++.........I lost a lotta money 2!

DON't CRY  <<<<<<<<<<...........................for me (that's LIFE) o!o

LOL

PSYKOMO 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4526 Posts
                    Posted: September 11, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

JustEx, thanks for the reminder! Sometimes we forget that its a human in front/or standing behind us in line and we can use a good measure of cheer to get us thru the transaction. Greenville is indeed a friendlier area in the way of demeanor.

I do and will continue to have impatiences in a line where someone doesnt regard the time factor some folks have. I dont have twenty minutes to stand around whilst the local play-all-combinations is spewing out his picks for 50cents a pop! And it happens more then naught. As for our machines. They dont get booted up for play til 8AM so by then I am at work. I tried the play a week in advance deal and my mind set is, welp they already know WHICH numbers to NOT have showing/drawn since some chick bought in advance! I've witnessed the line jumpers and the pushers. Neither are pleasing company to be in line with. I'm just that silent whiner which probably isnt a healthy thing to be...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                      Member #54390
                      August 17, 2007
                      313 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2007, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I work at a convenience store and I always respect all customers.. even Lotto customers. 

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                        Tx
                        United States
                        Member #4570
                        May 4, 2004
                        5180 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:35 am - IP Logged

LOL

People should wait their turn, or just leave.

Do you say that you pass out if you drink and also if you don't? Maybe try drinking something non alcoholic. 

Good luck. 

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                          Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:41 am - IP Logged

A lot of people are like that here and some even worse, makes you want not to go to public places, too bad that people can't bet online anymore.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."