Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ordering Your Tickets

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: September 11, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

As I mentioned in another thread, I've run into some daft c-store cashiers lately.

When I'm buying a set of numbers I pick, and want a quick pick too, I usually hand the cashier a playslip marked for a quick pick along with a separate playslip with my numbers, rather than hand them my numbers and verbally ask for a quick pick (with powerplay) in addition.  I've had two different cashiers get offended by the quick pick slip.  One asked (kind of jokingly) if I thought she was dumb.  Told me to just ask, she'd get my order right.  The other got downright angry, threw my slip in the trash and did a manual quick pick.

So I've been asking for quick picks verbally when I'm not making another purchase.  Like 4 times now I've asked  "I'd like a PowerBall with the PowerPlay, please."  No exaggeration, at least 4 different clerks at different stores have asked "One dollar?"  So of course, I have to say "no, it's $2 with the PowerPlay" or else risk them printing it off without the PowerPlay.  So then they roll their eyes like they think I'm being a smart ass or something and reply "yes, but just one?"  So I say "right, one LINE with the PowerPlay" and wave my 2 $1 bills at them before we finally agree what it is I want.

Is there a better way to word this request?  Perhaps I'm the one who's daft. Crazy 

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: September 11, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't order tickets unless I see a lottery retailer like a liquor store, etc.

LaFollette, TN
      United States
      Member #54790
      August 29, 2007
      24 Posts
      Posted: September 11, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Silly California Person..

A "c-store"  IS a lottery retailer.  It's a Convenience Store. 

Are you Buh-lond?

Pete

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: September 11, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I don't order tickets unless I see a lottery retailer like a liquor store, etc.

Oh, THAT explains it!  I'm trying to order lottery tickets from someone who doesn't sell them!!  Silly me!!  Ponder

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2007, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

As I mentioned in another thread, I've run into some daft c-store cashiers lately.

When I'm buying a set of numbers I pick, and want a quick pick too, I usually hand the cashier a playslip marked for a quick pick along with a separate playslip with my numbers, rather than hand them my numbers and verbally ask for a quick pick (with powerplay) in addition.  I've had two different cashiers get offended by the quick pick slip.  One asked (kind of jokingly) if I thought she was dumb.  Told me to just ask, she'd get my order right.  The other got downright angry, threw my slip in the trash and did a manual quick pick.

So I've been asking for quick picks verbally when I'm not making another purchase.  Like 4 times now I've asked  "I'd like a PowerBall with the PowerPlay, please."  No exaggeration, at least 4 different clerks at different stores have asked "One dollar?"  So of course, I have to say "no, it's $2 with the PowerPlay" or else risk them printing it off without the PowerPlay.  So then they roll their eyes like they think I'm being a smart ass or something and reply "yes, but just one?"  So I say "right, one LINE with the PowerPlay" and wave my 2 $1 bills at them before we finally agree what it is I want.

Is there a better way to word this request?  Perhaps I'm the one who's daft. Crazy 

Geez, there's a lot of people on here who aren't having a good lottery buying experience. Just say "I would like 1 PowerBall quick pick with PowerPlay and this playslip without PowerPlay".

Gonna win.Big Smile

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2007, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I have NEVER had a problem in buying tickets buy slip or asking..Where do you people have problems buying tickets..What state..I played in Fla when the lotto started and now live in Ky and never have I had a problem..I don't get it??......

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: September 11, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I have NEVER had a problem in buying tickets buy slip or asking..Where do you people have problems buying tickets..What state..I played in Fla when the lotto started and now live in Ky and never have I had a problem..I don't get it??......

I'm in Idaho.  I never used to have much of a problem, but it seems like there's been a rash of ignorant cashiers lately.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: September 11, 2007, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

LuckyKilly

Whenever I give them a playslip just makrked QP and they tell me you don't have to do that, you can just tell them Quick Pick I say something like, "Yeah, I know- I'm just trying to psyche out the computer."

It usually gets a smile, sometimes a giggle too.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Portland,Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #14387
                  April 25, 2005
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: September 12, 2007, 1:31 am - IP Logged

That's why I prefer the do-it-your-self machines - no having to explain to a busy, distracted clerk what you want ... plus I prefer just me and the machine picking tickets with no one else's energy or negativity getting in the way :)

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

United States
                    Member #47881
                    November 30, 2006
                    15 Posts
                    Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:17 am - IP Logged

Here in Los Angeles we have quite a few clerks that, how shall I say...don't speak English very well, if at all. I've had problems communicating what I want. It kind of depends which neighborhood you are in, but here its a common problem. In California, all CA Lottery draw games can be cancelled, but not the MM. So when I buy those, I pick my store carefully since I don't have a "regular" store that I play at.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                      Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:49 am - IP Logged

Find a place where they behave better.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."