Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Profits

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Wintariofan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Litebets27's avatar - power
Maryland
United States
Member #10465
January 14, 2005
6065 Posts
Posted: September 14, 2007, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I know a few of you have a dislike for Katie Coric CBS News reports. 

But Monday night 9/17/2007, she will be doing a report on where the States lottery profits really go.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the heads up Litebets27.

They'll probably talk about "bucks for education" and where they really go. 

Hopefully they'll talk about fiascos like the Indiana scratchers and the latest with the Tennessee lottery, maybe with that kind of exposure those lotteries will have to clean up their act.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2007, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the heads up Litebets27.

They'll probably talk about "bucks for education" and where they really go. 

Hopefully they'll talk about fiascos like the Indiana scratchers and the latest with the Tennessee lottery, maybe with that kind of exposure those lotteries will have to clean up their act.

i will try to watch and i hope they talk about tennessee and what has been happening since the RNG came.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2007, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I know a few of you have a dislike for Katie Coric CBS News reports. 

But Monday night 9/17/2007, she will be doing a report on where the States lottery profits really go.

litebets

In WI the lottery profits don't go to education.  They are intended to go to help reduce Property Taxes. (WI is one of the highest-taxed states in the union. Our state politicians have never seen a tax proposal they dislike.)  But even with that, with reassessments of property, the taxes get little relief.  Maybe 80 bucks/yr for the average person, and that's a drop in the bucket.

Personally, I feel if the govt is involved at trying to "make things better" it always ends up failing.  I don't play because I want to contribute to their "plan", or that my losses will help anyone.  I play because I want to make money.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your post.  Regarding my opinion about Ms Couric, I think she does as good a job as many anchormen.  Walter Cronkite agrees.  When asked he said "she's doing a great job."  When she first got the job as anchor, people were actually talking about her makeup, her clothes and her hairstyle.  I am not a raving feminist, but I really believe many women get criticized just because they are women.  Half the negative things said about Hillary Clinton have nothing to do with her ability to perform her job.

Again, thanks for the heads up.  By the way, she's too "cutesy" for my liking.  I just wanted to point out that all I care about is the news and the truth, if that's at all possible to get these days.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your post.  Regarding my opinion about Ms Couric, I think she does as good a job as many anchormen.  Walter Cronkite agrees.  When asked he said "she's doing a great job."  When she first got the job as anchor, people were actually talking about her makeup, her clothes and her hairstyle.  I am not a raving feminist, but I really believe many women get criticized just because they are women.  Half the negative things said about Hillary Clinton have nothing to do with her ability to perform her job.

Again, thanks for the heads up.  By the way, she's too "cutesy" for my liking.  I just wanted to point out that all I care about is the news and the truth, if that's at all possible to get these days.

walter cronkite is well respected but courics ratings have been terrible since her second week so i dont think its just her looks or outfits that causes her to be criticized, anyone who has bad ratings will be criticized. some people who dont like hillary dont like her personality or her husband so you are right alot of her critics attack her personally and not what she has done while serving new york

Maryland
              United States
              Member #10465
              January 14, 2005
              6065 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2007, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I agree with your point about criticism made simply because she is a female in a male dominated media. I happen to be a CBS watcher. Otherwise, I'm watching instructional, educational or sports tv.

As far as what happen to the profits made by the Maryland State Lottery goes.....who knows?

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: September 15, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

She went to Iraq and her ratings actually went down.  I don't think it's a male/female thing, I think people just don't like her giving the news.  There are already a ton of opinion shows out there, we don't need a hard news anchor giving opinions every night.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                  nashville
                  United States
                  Member #49896
                  February 18, 2007
                  1181 Posts
                  Posted: September 15, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

She went to Iraq and her ratings actually went down.  I don't think it's a male/female thing, I think people just don't like her giving the news.  There are already a ton of opinion shows out there, we don't need a hard news anchor giving opinions every night.

i agree Todd its ratings only because tv is about ratings which means advertisers which means money so i feel it is only ratings cbs cares about because if it was sexism they would have hired another man and not a woman to do it. she also doesnt have as much time as she did on the today show that was 3 hours and now its 4 hours so its hard for her to condense everything down while the other anchors are used to giving america the news in that amount of time.

Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #1303
                    March 27, 2003
                    1508 Posts
                    Posted: September 15, 2007, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Certainly agree.  One of the things that irks me is that reporters and anchors have stopped, for the most part, giving the news, and instead are giving their opinions of it.  I no longer buy the local paper because it is all slanted to whatever the reporter feels.  It's not like there aren't many other sources for news.  All I want is information; not opinion.  I am quite capable of forming my own opinion.

============

Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #10465
                      January 14, 2005
                      6065 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2007, 12:19 am - IP Logged

It's hard for us and most humans to not interject his or her opinion when giving information of any kind. We tend to give our own opinions either orally or via facial expressions. It is only when we think that the informant holds the same opinion as our own that we value that person and deem them as being credible. But , let that person say just one thing that we disagree with. Then it's....Who does he or she think he or she is.

Our reporters and anchors get e-mail daily asking their opinions or commenting on their deliverance of the news. Some of them have the idea that they have become authorities on the subject of world news, politics and human nature as a whole.

There is a local team of News Casters here (at least one part of the team) is totally, in your face, with his opinion on something that they are reporting about. And although many people express their dislike for one of the reporters/anchors, they are consistently voted number one and win many awards each year. It's almost like a festering sore, you try to turn your eyes from it,but you always take another look.

I'm not sure what Katie will talk about, but it will be about lottery profits and I hope she will enlighten us enough that we can form the decisions rather to play or not to play.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10353 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2007, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

With few exceptions, basically there's one news source. If you don't thinm so, the next time you're in traffice in your car and the nes is on radio, just go from Am station to AM station (and the FM stations that carry news) and the wording is verbatim, just different people reporting it. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #10465
                          January 14, 2005
                          6065 Posts
                          Posted: September 16, 2007, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I was speaking of tv. Because of the facial expressions and at times verbal comments. I have heard some off colored comments to news report given on the news that is presented on some AM talk programs. Those "Shock Jock" type shows that are a dime a dozen on one end of the dial.

litebets

Come on Jackpot!!!

Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #1303
                            March 27, 2003
                            1508 Posts
                            Posted: September 16, 2007, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

It's hard for us and most humans to not interject his or her opinion when giving information of any kind. We tend to give our own opinions either orally or via facial expressions. It is only when we think that the informant holds the same opinion as our own that we value that person and deem them as being credible. But , let that person say just one thing that we disagree with. Then it's....Who does he or she think he or she is.

Our reporters and anchors get e-mail daily asking their opinions or commenting on their deliverance of the news. Some of them have the idea that they have become authorities on the subject of world news, politics and human nature as a whole.

There is a local team of News Casters here (at least one part of the team) is totally, in your face, with his opinion on something that they are reporting about. And although many people express their dislike for one of the reporters/anchors, they are consistently voted number one and win many awards each year. It's almost like a festering sore, you try to turn your eyes from it,but you always take another look.

I'm not sure what Katie will talk about, but it will be about lottery profits and I hope she will enlighten us enough that we can form the decisions rather to play or not to play.

litebets

While what yo say holds true for the average person, what I think you're missing is that these people are not the average persons on the street.  They are supposed to be professionals doing the job.  It doesn't matter if you are an anchor on a network or a reporter for a newspaper.  If they want to give their opinion, let them write a personal blog.  When they are doing their jobs reporting, they should meely report ; not try and inmfluenece the opinion of so many people out there that somehow think that the person offering the opinion is somehow "wiser" than they are.....

============

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                              A long and winding road
                              United States
                              Member #17084
                              June 10, 2005
                              4529 Posts
                              Posted: September 17, 2007, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Newscasters carry their deliverence of the news geared to the population it serves. Local media casters are different then national media commentators. If the data was the only thing they had to speak they might as well be behind a wall with no *personality* to them.

I like the fact that Walter Cronkite (when delivering the news on the day Kennedy was shot) did get personal and did get REAL whilst on the air. Newscasters aren't teleprompters but REAL humans with the right to deliver the news with confidence or empathy depending.

WHen I saw the newscasters at the WTrades devestation they were composed with a sense of seriousness for our countrys welfare. So thank you to whomever created this topic. And do let us know how Katies topic of the Lottery profit turned out. Anything noteworthy to share?

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.