Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So you won the lottery.

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
Baltimore
United States
Member #54999
September 5, 2007
47 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2007, 2:22 am - IP Logged

I came across this article in Maxim Magazine a while back. IT was a story on the nightmares that followed winning the lottery. It also has some important advice from the Sudden Money Institute, which "specializes in counseling big winners." Unfortunately, I cannot post the link to said article. However, if interested, please PM me. I welcome your comments.

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49813 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2007, 9:40 am - IP Logged

What Month & Year was the article Published? Also what was the Title of the Article?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Baton Rouge, LA
      United States
      Member #4602
      May 7, 2004
      699 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I came across this article in Maxim Magazine a while back. IT was a story on the nightmares that followed winning the lottery. It also has some important advice from the Sudden Money Institute, which "specializes in counseling big winners." Unfortunately, I cannot post the link to said article. However, if interested, please PM me. I welcome your comments.

I'd be curious to see it too. I ran Sudden Money Institute in Google and found their website:

www.suddenmoney.com

I also found this article at MSN that had some interesting info about coming into money suddenly, including some good tips:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/RetirementandWills/EscapeTheRatRace/YoureSuddenlyRichBummer.aspx

On another note, I wonder if this organization has ever done an interview or an article for LotteryPost? It might be informative if they did.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2659 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2007, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

thar was another lotto related article @ msn about sinning the lotto ... don't have the web adress might try and look it up later about putting together a simular type of game plan b4 even claiming it

Baltimore
          United States
          Member #54999
          September 5, 2007
          47 Posts
          Posted: September 17, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

For those of you who PMd me, I'm sorry for taking so long. Been away from the computer.

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2659 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2007, 6:54 pm - IP Logged
              LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: September 17, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for finding that hearsetrax.  Hilarious and depressing article.

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2659 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for finding that hearsetrax.  Hilarious and depressing article.

your welcome Ms LuckyLilly 

but the credit goes to the: SoBe Yourself ....

I just posted the link he sent me

its a good article but no real usefull insite or advice

Actually I don't think I have to worry about what happen to Ole Jack happening to me @ all......

since I don't drink nore visit Strip bars

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Typical media, they feed off the few extreme negative cases, and ignore the majority who went on to having successful lives with little or no problems after a lottery win. You keep hearing the same few names over the years. Nothing that bad is going to happen to you unless you are a complete and total idiot, who never knew how to manage money or your life in the first place. Unless you are REALLY unlucky after being so lucky.

I welcome any stress associated with winning millions, as I have already been through the worst without having a dime. However unlike most who win I am actually prepared for my windfall, and have been preparing for years. I am also a disciplined spender who knows the value of money, and I find it ridiculous how most of these idiots who win cannot find anything better to use the money for than 20 cars and 10 houses.

As opposed to starting up successful businesses based on talents/hobbies that you enjoy doing, or simply doing nothing at all. Most just blow it all ridiculously. All these articles are nothing but "theories" based on extreme cases that rarely ever happen. The West's who won over $300 million do not seem to be having much of a problem yet. The media hates these types however, they are boring.

People who continue to slave away at their dead end jobs would much rather hear about lottery winner's failures than successes, because misery loves company. Which also creates more false justification for them not to play.

Baltimore
                    United States
                    Member #54999
                    September 5, 2007
                    47 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2007, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

your welcome Ms LuckyLilly 

but the credit goes to the: SoBe Yourself ....

I just posted the link he sent me

its a good article but no real usefull insite or advice

Actually I don't think I have to worry about what happen to Ole Jack happening to me @ all......

since I don't drink nore visit Strip bars

Thank you for posting this for me.

Baltimore
                      United States
                      Member #54999
                      September 5, 2007
                      47 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Typical media, they feed off the few extreme negative cases, and ignore the majority who went on to having successful lives with little or no problems after a lottery win. You keep hearing the same few names over the years. Nothing that bad is going to happen to you unless you are a complete and total idiot, who never knew how to manage money or your life in the first place. Unless you are REALLY unlucky after being so lucky.

I welcome any stress associated with winning millions, as I have already been through the worst without having a dime. However unlike most who win I am actually prepared for my windfall, and have been preparing for years. I am also a disciplined spender who knows the value of money, and I find it ridiculous how most of these idiots who win cannot find anything better to use the money for than 20 cars and 10 houses.

As opposed to starting up successful businesses based on talents/hobbies that you enjoy doing, or simply doing nothing at all. Most just blow it all ridiculously. All these articles are nothing but "theories" based on extreme cases that rarely ever happen. The West's who won over $300 million do not seem to be having much of a problem yet. The media hates these types however, they are boring.

People who continue to slave away at their dead end jobs would much rather hear about lottery winner's failures than successes, because misery loves company. Which also creates more false justification for them not to play.

A few points to make. First off, these bad cases can be looked at as warnings for players like us on the potential downfalls associated with winning big money.

Second, there are some valuable ideas and important resources listed like the Sudden Money Institute. Helpful for me because I wouldn't want to stick all my winnings in the bank. I would need some help on allocating it so that I have a lot of it protected.

Third, it helps to be aware of companies like Stone Street Capital and others that are out to scam winners.

Finally, here's a paragraph on a kid who has done very well handling the winnings:

"California’s most recent Richie Rich is Colin McLean, a 25-year-old from Newport Beach who won $81 million in January. Seemingly the anti-Whittaker, McLean eschewed the traditional glad-handing press conference, instead offering the usual thank-God-and-must-help-those-less-fortunate-and-buy-a-new-car platitudes through his lawyer. “With everything going on in the world,” he announced, “I think it’s inappropriate to gain notoriety for [winning the lottery].” Though the odds and common sense are against McLean, Dr. Danish thinks his youth, lack of family commitments, and aversion to publicity could give him an advantage where o many before him failed."

Seems this kid's smart enough to know what to do.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Most of the information provided by all these articles is mostly common sense. Or perhaps it seems that way to me being I have studied lottery windfall preparation for many years. However it seems that most people who win do not have any clue what to do, and I doubt any of them who do win will ever even see these articles. They are not even smart enough to do an internet search probably.

Baltimore
                          United States
                          Member #54999
                          September 5, 2007
                          47 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2007, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Most of the information provided by all these articles is mostly common sense. Or perhaps it seems that way to me being I have studied lottery windfall preparation for many years. However it seems that most people who win do not have any clue what to do, and I doubt any of them who do win will ever even see these articles. They are not even smart enough to do an internet search probably.

No doubt there. Many of these winners were just extremely lucky. If I won the big jackpot a few years ago, I probably would have been the same way.

United States
                            Member #52345
                            May 21, 2007
                            2659 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2007, 8:49 am - IP Logged