Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why choose your numbers?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Perfect Timing.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #55228
September 18, 2007
2 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2007, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

hiya

im working on a school project about peoples lucky numbers.

if any of you play with the same numbers every time, it would be amazing if you could tell me the reasons/stories behind why these numbers are used.

any replies would help me out so so so much.

thank you and good luck everyone :) 

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2007, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

hiya

if any of you play with the same numbers every time, it would be amazing if you could tell me the reasons/stories behind why these numbers are used.

Welcome to the Lottery Post !

I use  a certain set of numbers for pick 5 and pick 6 games because I have used them for years.

Are they lucky ? I suppose not, since they have not hit, but the day I stop using them ......

United States
      Member #55228
      September 18, 2007
      2 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2007, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the Lottery Post !

I use  a certain set of numbers for pick 5 and pick 6 games because I have used them for years.

Are they lucky ? I suppose not, since they have not hit, but the day I stop using them ......

is there any reason behind why you picked them in the first place?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2007, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

hiya

I change my numbers every draw. I have a self made computer program that picks my numbers. It randomly selects a set of numbers and then calls many filter functions(algorithms) that I have made. If the set passes through all my filters, it is considered good, and I will play that set. I've made very good progress on my system so far. A jackpot win could be imminent as my system just recently just took another huge step forward.Thumbs Up

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2007, 12:57 am - IP Logged

hiya

Hi there shopaholicgirl.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't gotten more discussion.

In general, a lot of people play birthdays, theirs and family members - not realizing that if they hot and all the numbers are 31 and lower they'll probsbly be sharing the jackpot, because a lot of people play like that.

Personally, I usually play quick picks because that is what wins most often, but there's two sets of numbers I play on a whim sometimes - these are for a Pick 5 game where the numbers go from 1 to 39.

One is 2 4 15 29 31, simply because I like the card game Cribbage and those are significant numbers in the game.

The other set is 6 12 15 29 36

I was tracking the actual drawings and was trying to identify if a predictable sequence existed (never found one), but while I was trying to find one I came up with this

6 12 15 29 36

OK, here goes, have to have a start point, a first number, so I picked 6. 

6 and 12 seem to hit together, and 12 and 15 seem to hit together, so I used them.  

29 and 36 are just to include a number from the 20's and a number from the 30's.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I pick my own numbers(combinations) and they could be different each time as I consider any number that hits to be a lucky number.  I prefer to pick my own combinations because I can and when I compare how well I'm doing with the overall odds of the games I'm doing better. 

The games payouts are such that one have to do quite a bit better than just beat the overall odds to come out ahead.  For example most games have overall odds of 1:40 to 1:80 of getting even the lowest tier prize which might pay a free ticket up to $3, so even if I get a hit every 10 tickets I'm still in the hole $10 or more.

I came within one number of hitting a jackpot once in a 6/49 game and twice of hitting 5of5 for $250K in the MegaMillions game and I usually limit my playing to 10-20 lines per drawings.  Like other system players I feel a big win is just around the corner,it just a matter of getting all the winning numbers on one line instead of just 3 or 4 of them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: September 21, 2007, 11:26 am - IP Logged

one simple reason i play the same numbers, thats because if dont p[lay them im pretty sure they would come up

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Some numbers make me happy, others make me sad, and there are ones which do nothing for me. I use the numbers that make me happy.

White Bounce

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2007, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Some numbers make me happy, others make me sad, and there are ones which do nothing for me. I use the numbers that make me happy.

White Bounce

For a second there I thought you were doing a parody of White Rabbit!

Some numbers make me happy

some numbers make me sad

some do nothing for me

and some others make me mad 

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                    San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1394 Posts
                    Posted: September 21, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I agree with what RJOH said.

Playing the lottery is entertainment for me. But, it wouldn't be very entertaining if I played
                    Quick Picks or other random means.

If i played quick picks and lost, I'd never really know why, and would, like a lot of players, tend to blame the lottery folks.

When I pick my numbers and lose, I know it's my fault. Can't blame anyone but myself. I can sort of figure out where I went wrong and try to do better next time.

One of these days, I'll put the right numbers on the same line - and go from there.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: September 23, 2007, 12:20 am - IP Logged

bobby623

"...Playing the lottery is entertainment for me. But, it wouldn't be very entertaining if I played Quick Picks or other random means."

Whether it was a Quick Pick from the lottery terminal or numbers from Madam Zelda I don't think anything would be more entertaining than a solid hit for a jackpot.

Lep

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: September 23, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

LOL...  I remember this, you guys don't.  CT, RJ.....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: September 23, 2007, 5:20 am - IP Logged

I picked my own numbers about 12 years ago using the birthdays in my family. There are 5 people in my immediate family (Mom, Dad, 2 sisters and I) and I used the day for each of us.  I needed a 6th number.  My Dad's birth certificate says he was born on Aug 7, but my Grandmother always said that the hospital made a mistake and it was the 4th.  So, since he always acted like a big baby, we celebrated his birthday on Aug 4 and Aug 7.  That's where I got the extra number.

Then I changed it a little and used my age at that time (which was 45) but I was concerned my original set of numbers might be drawn so I started to play both tickets.  A few years later I purchased a couple of quick picks and, although I didn't win anything, I added them to my other 2 sets.  I figured I could afford $4 a week.  But the FL Lotto increased to twice a week.  So I've been playing all 4 combinations twice a week for several years.  Usually a quick pick wins anyway, but I think that's because the majority of tickets sold are quick picks, not because they are any "better" numbers.

As you can tell, I won't ever list my numbers.  It's a superstition I guess.

United States
                            Member #54390
                            August 17, 2007
                            313 Posts
                            Posted: September 24, 2007, 2:03 am - IP Logged

I always pick numbers that gave me bad luck in the past.  For example,  when I was in the Navy, I did a mistake that cost the whole ship 3 hours of liberty(free time).  So I picked ship number 37 and (3) hours.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10345 Posts
                              Posted: September 24, 2007, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Oh I've tried plenty - my military units, gun calibers ( 22  32  38  40  45  etc...), serial numbers off of the dollars used to play the lotto, etc..  never has worked.

Bang Head

That's why I believe so strongly that no matter what, it's luck. For somebody out there, their military units would work, or the calibers, or the dollar serial numbers would work when they played them. Nothing but luck.  

Lep