Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot Win at my usual store!!

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #47881
November 30, 2006
15 Posts
Posted: September 20, 2007, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

So, the 7-11 about 2 miles from my house where I usually buy my tickets hit the big one. Not so big, but it was one of 2 jackpot winners for the $15M California SuperLotto PLUS last night. Has this happened to anyone else on LP? And what are your thoughts...should I keep playing there, stop playing there, or just not care since it doesn't matter where you buy tickets anyway.

Thoughts?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: September 20, 2007, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

So, the 7-11 about 2 miles from my house where I usually buy my tickets hit the big one. Not so big, but it was one of 2 jackpot winners for the $15M California SuperLotto PLUS last night. Has this happened to anyone else on LP? And what are your thoughts...should I keep playing there, stop playing there, or just not care since it doesn't matter where you buy tickets anyway.

Thoughts?

I don't think it matters where you buy your lottery tickets. Anybody anywhere can win as long as they have 1 ticket. Since it's your usual store then it would be ok to just keep going there.

Gonna win.Big Smile

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Thoughts?

my senior year of high school a man won the powerball for $89.3 million and he bought the ticket at the same store in franklin kentucky where i was and he bought it about an hour after i was there. it is right over the border so whenever i go to kentucky it was the store i stopped at to buy powerball before tennessee started the powerball game. he also was from middle tennessee near where i live.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: September 21, 2007, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Thoughts?

Yes, one of the stores I frequent was the site of a big Mega Millions jackpot win.  The NJ Lottery printed up a huge banner that is still hanging there.  The owner, who I have since become friends with, has told me that the store gets a tremendous amount of extra lottery purchases, just based on the fact the store is "lucky".

I can't argue with it, especially since I also believe that people should go with what has worked in the past.  There are many stories I've personally posted in the news section about stores that sell multiple jackpot wins.

Congratulations on your store achieving something that most will not!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7712 Posts
          Posted: September 21, 2007, 11:14 am - IP Logged

The neighborhood liquor store I worked at actually had a jackpot winner about 2 months after I quit and it was only 5 blocks from my house. Another store, Lichine's Liquor, has had 3 jackpot winners here in Sacramento. I still don't believe it matters where you purchase your tickets though. If you're meant to win, you will win regardless of where you are.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49657 Posts
            Posted: September 21, 2007, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Thoughts?

It only matters if you have the Winning Ticket.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: September 21, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Very smart post Raven62........

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
                Member #2217
                September 1, 2003
                985 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2007, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

My typical store, where I've been a customer since it opened a very long time ago, has sold at least 3 PB JP winners and a couple DE lotto also.  I've known the clerks, managers, etc., etc.  I took a long break from it not too long ago but have gone back now. 

I don't think about it except in the free-for-all that occurs in the days surrounding a JP win, and then I usually shop somewhere else.  I don't like bright lights and crowds.  It does not affect how or where I buy my tickets otherwise.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Funny - not only have I thought about this, but today I almost went to another retailer since there have been so many winners lately at Publix.  If you pick your own numbers, it should have absolutely no effect at all, since it only matters if they are drawn.  However, what about quick picks?  I've seen press releases announcing winners from the same store on different dates, but does this mean it's less likely someone will hit a big jackpot there the next week?  Maybe it doesn't make sense, but if Joe's Mini-Mart sells a $10 million Lotto winner and then sells a couple of winning Fantasy 5 tickets, were the players just there at the right time?  I'm asking these questions, because I've read that each terminal has its own algorithm and generates its own quick picks.  A recent newspaper article stated "Even states with the same GTECH terminals may run different or modified quick-pick software in their terminals."  I wish someone would explain this to me in simple English.  Is it random or isn't it?  Do I have the same shot at winning if I get a quick pick at any lottery retailer?

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: September 22, 2007, 12:41 am - IP Logged

"A recent newspaper article stated "Even states with the same GTECH terminals may run different or modified quick-pick software in their terminals."  I wish someone would explain this to me in simple English.  Is it random or isn't it?  Do I have the same shot at winning if I get a quick pick at any lottery retailer?"

Yes it's random. Different seeds, diferent software or a different location is no different than any other method you could use to choose your numbers randomly. Until you figure out how to play your numbers after the drawing where you play and the numbers you get  have no more affect on the outcome than what you have for breakfast.You get your numbers first. You win if those numbers happen to be drawn later. It's the drawing that determines the outcome, not how, where or why you play the numbers you play.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49657 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2007, 8:46 am - IP Logged

Thoughts?

Mega Millions Jackpot ticket(s) were sold at:

7-ELEVEN 2136-13846C
                      11007 VENTURA BL
                      STUDIO CITY, 91604

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        699 Posts
                        Posted: September 22, 2007, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Thoughts?

A store I buy my tickets at has sold a couple of big winning scratch off tickets. It's a Texaco gas station convenience store run by some Middle Eastern people who are always very polite to their customers. One of their employees told me he fished some losing scratch off tickets out of the trash and sent them in for a second chance drawing and won one of the prizes, a package of World Series of Poker Merchandise. I buy from this store on Sundays for the Wednesday drawing because it is only a couple of miles from my home and I buy a newspaper there as well. In other words, it's convenient.

When I buy tickets for the Saturday drawings, I stop at a store on the way home from work because it's convenient. For the lottery club I'm running at my work, I buy the tickets either from a store on the way to work, or one of two around the corner from work for the same reason, convenience.

For the most part, I don't think it necessarily matters where you buy your tickets, but there are some caveats to that. In the past, in some stores I've gone to, I would get alot of duplication of numbers when buying multiple quick picks while other stores would give a better mix of numbers. If buying scratchers, different stores may have different tickets with different odds of winning and a different number of winners left out there. When trying to even the odds on scratchers, buying games with better odds that have more winners left might help a player's chances but other than that, it probably doesn't matter where you buy your tickets. Some stores may produce more winners simply because they sell more tickets.

Just my opinion.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23260 Posts
                          Posted: September 22, 2007, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

"A recent newspaper article stated "Even states with the same GTECH terminals may run different or modified quick-pick software in their terminals."  I wish someone would explain this to me in simple English.  Is it random or isn't it?  Do I have the same shot at winning if I get a quick pick at any lottery retailer?"

Yes it's random. Different seeds, diferent software or a different location is no different than any other method you could use to choose your numbers randomly. Until you figure out how to play your numbers after the drawing where you play and the numbers you get  have no more affect on the outcome than what you have for breakfast.You get your numbers first. You win if those numbers happen to be drawn later. It's the drawing that determines the outcome, not how, where or why you play the numbers you play.

The first time I read your post it looked like you were saying that within one state, different machines use different Quick Pick software.  When I re-read a few times I drew the correct conclusion that the software varies among states, but not WITHIN a state.

I am posting this comment in case anyone else drew that same conclusion.

It's worth stating again:  within a single state, every terminal uses the same algorithm for choosing random numbers.

I'm sure some people may be surprised that different states use different Quick Pick algorithms, but I am not.  That would be my assumption, even if I had never seen one.

The lottery terminals are specialized computers which are programmed to download software updates from a central computer via dial-up modem line.  They are "specialized", but they are still just computers that are programmed like any other computer.

Certainly GTECH (and the other vendors) has software packages that get installed, and they have gone through many versions, just like any other software.  And, the software can most certainly be customized to the lottery's needs

Thus, it is a forgone conclusion that different states would choose to program their lottery machines differently.

I guess someone who does not work with computers may not have known that, or may still not understand, but coming from someone who does work with computers it is not Earth-shattering.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                            Member #9517
                            December 10, 2004
                            1272 Posts
                            Posted: September 22, 2007, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

A win can happen anywhere with tickets bought in any store, but how big are the chances of the same store having several jackpot winners?

So perhaps you should go somewhere else?

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: September 23, 2007, 12:52 am - IP Logged

A win can happen anywhere with tickets bought in any store, but how big are the chances of the same store having several jackpot winners?

So perhaps you should go somewhere else?

Why would you go anywhere else?

Pick a store. Any store. How big are the chances that a jackpot winner will be sold there?