Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Nun hoped to win lottery

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 9 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #55281
September 22, 2007
13 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2007, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Sister Gregory Kirkus, who has died aged 96, was a leading Roman Catholic archivist and historian of English convent life from the recusant period to the present day; a member of the Congregation of Jesus (previously the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or IBVM), she also served as headmistress of St Mary's School, Shaftesbury.

As well as her biographical dictionary, Sister Gregory wrote sketches of school and convent life in the 17th and 18th centuries for the Catholic Records Society. A shy but charming woman, she lived a life of considerable austerity and retained the "Protestant" work ethic of her youth into old age. In later life her fellow sisters were surprised to discover, from an interview she gave for a television documentary about the Bar Convent, that she was a regular buyer of lottery tickets — in the hope that she would win a fortune to secure the convent's future.

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

Many people believe that after people passover they sent messages back to the living. Many believe that lottery wins are sent back by the deceased.

Hopefully, she can send a message to one of her fellow sisters to buy the winning lottery ticket that will secure the convent's future as she tried to do for so many years.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8361 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2007, 2:30 am - IP Logged

Many people believe that after people passover they sent messages back to the living. Many believe that lottery wins are sent back by the deceased.

Hopefully, she can send a message to one of her fellow sisters to buy the winning lottery ticket that will secure the convent's future as she tried to do for so many years.

litebets

A nun has won or at least an x nun from Maryland

Bernadette Gietka

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0406799.htm

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2007, 3:21 am - IP Logged

Interesting story.  She lived a long life. 

Regarding the link, here is one person who won praying to win money to give to the Catholic church and as she stated, to stop abortion, and another winner (if you remember Bunky) prayed to win enough to quit working so he could spend his time teaching Wicca.  I think it's wonderful to want to help your church or synogogue, or feel passionate about a cause, but I believe these people won simply because they were lucky enough to pick the winning ticket. 

By the way, four4me, the story said she had thought about becoming a nun, not that she had been one.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, it says she won $180 million and gave away $240,000 so I wouldn't exactly say she sacrificed too much for her cause. 

"A Catholic woman who won $180 million in the multistate Mega Millions lottery last year put smiles on the faces of a lot of Baltimore-area Catholics when she distributed $240,000 to 10 parishes."

"Choosing the $112.8 million cash payout, she walked away with $76 million after taxes." 

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8361 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Interesting story.  She lived a long life. 

Regarding the link, here is one person who won praying to win money to give to the Catholic church and as she stated, to stop abortion, and another winner (if you remember Bunky) prayed to win enough to quit working so he could spend his time teaching Wicca.  I think it's wonderful to want to help your church or synogogue, or feel passionate about a cause, but I believe these people won simply because they were lucky enough to pick the winning ticket. 

By the way, four4me, the story said she had thought about becoming a nun, not that she had been one.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, it says she won $180 million and gave away $240,000 so I wouldn't exactly say she sacrificed too much for her cause. 

"A Catholic woman who won $180 million in the multistate Mega Millions lottery last year put smiles on the faces of a lot of Baltimore-area Catholics when she distributed $240,000 to 10 parishes."

"Choosing the $112.8 million cash payout, she walked away with $76 million after taxes." 

I believe in other stories she had been in the convent and was becoming a nun and decided to leave. All this was before she won the lottery she was holding down two jobs and taking care of her mother. I know she also has some family this woman was or is about as timid as a church mouse. When she bought the ticket and looked at the numbers she said no way I'll win with theres numbers and stuffed the ticket back in her purse. Her first new car after the win was a corvette i wonder if she's still driving it or bought something else. She's one of the winners you don't here much about. I think her brother handles the money.

As far as that story i posted the link to it was just the first story i found when i typed in her name there are other stories.