Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are the ODDS! 2 Jackpot Wins 2 Miles Apart!

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by dld1961.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #47881
November 30, 2006
15 Posts
Posted: September 22, 2007, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

See my last post here http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/163135/2 where the California SuperLotto PLUS was won at a 7-11 close to my house, also where I often buy tickets.

The MegaMillions Jackpot was won at ANOTHER 7-11 about 2 miles from there last night!! Also a store where I buy my tickets often. What are the odds of this? Of course...this happens to be a week where I'm feeling poor so I skipped buying tickets. ARGH! I think I can't let that happened again. Buy seriously, I mean...2 jackpot wins at two stores where I buy tickets?! Oye vey.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2657 Posts
    Posted: September 22, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged
      AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
      Just outside of Cleveland, OH
      United States
      Member #54079
      August 3, 2007
      106 Posts
      Posted: September 22, 2007, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

A week ago, two second tier Mega Millions jackpots were sold at the same grocery store in Toledo OH (there were only 3 $250,000 tickets drawn for that drawing and both were for the same store--love to read the story behind THAT one)

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: September 23, 2007, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

A week ago, two second tier Mega Millions jackpots were sold at the same grocery store in Toledo OH (there were only 3 $250,000 tickets drawn for that drawing and both were for the same store--love to read the story behind THAT one)

From Google News:

AP wire services, Toledo, Ohio - 5 days ago

Lottery officials announced at a press conference in Toledo today that two Mega Millions tickets that both won the second place prize and were sold at the same store were bought by the same person. The player apparently bought the tickets using the same 5 regular numbers, but different mega ball numbers, figuring that by playing two different mega ball numbers they had a better chance of winning the jackpot. Lottery officials went on to say that to their knowledge nobody had ever done that before. The player, who apparently used a system known as "wheeling" also bought eight other tickets.  Two of them matched 3 numbers for a prize of $7 each, but despite using 6 different mega ball numbers the player failed to match it on any of the tickets.

Mega Millions is played in 10 states. The chances of winning the jackpot are about 1 in 175 million. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19821 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

From Google News:

AP wire services, Toledo, Ohio - 5 days ago

Lottery officials announced at a press conference in Toledo today that two Mega Millions tickets that both won the second place prize and were sold at the same store were bought by the same person. The player apparently bought the tickets using the same 5 regular numbers, but different mega ball numbers, figuring that by playing two different mega ball numbers they had a better chance of winning the jackpot. Lottery officials went on to say that to their knowledge nobody had ever done that before. The player, who apparently used a system known as "wheeling" also bought eight other tickets.  Two of them matched 3 numbers for a prize of $7 each, but despite using 6 different mega ball numbers the player failed to match it on any of the tickets.

Mega Millions is played in 10 states. The chances of winning the jackpot are about 1 in 175 million. 

This is the kind of story that the QP disciples who preach system players are wasting their time picking their own numbers need to read more.  There are players out there picking their own numbers that are winning good prizes even if they're not the jackpots.  It could be players with good systems aren't winning the jackpots more than QP players but they are getting close more often than the average QP players.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

wyoming, michigan
            United States
            Member #53058
            June 22, 2007
            637 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2007, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Not to unusual in Dearborn Mi, 5  jackpot winners for the Mi state lotto less than 10 miles apart last count.