Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POWERBALL Question

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
sector46's avatar - image php?u=16565&dateline=
Clermont, FL
United States
Member #53456
July 7, 2007
20 Posts
Posted: September 26, 2007, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I live in Florida. I purchased a $5 Powerball ticket on the Internet. Is this legal since I am not in one of the " official" Powerball States ?  If my number hits, is my ticket invalid since I live in Florida ? Rules are very vague and i cannot get a definitive answer ?? Would i have to be a resident of a " Powerball State " to collect ?  

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: September 26, 2007, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

If you have the ticket in hand then it's legal.  You'll have to cash it in the state where it was bought.

Most Internet ticket services buy tickets for customers for a service fee, hold them to stay legal and cash them if they're winners and credit the winnings to their customers accounts.  In case of a big winner, the customer have to travel to the state where ticket was bought and cash it along with its co-owner,the ticket service that bought it.

Some Internet ticket services don't actually buy a ticket but simulate the game and pay out their own prize amounts and if the customer have all the winning numbers he doesn't win the jackpot but the amount the service pays for such a win.

If the rules are very vague chances are you don't have a ticket and neither does the ticket service but they have your five dollars and the fees they charged.  As long as you don't win very much you won't have a problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23273 Posts
      Posted: September 26, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

If you have the ticket in hand then it's legal.  You'll have to cash it in the state where it was bought.

Most Internet ticket services buy tickets for customers for a service fee, hold them to stay legal and cash them if they're winners and credit the winnings to their customers accounts.  In case of a big winner, the customer have to travel to the state where ticket was bought and cash it along with its co-owner,the ticket service that bought it.

Some Internet ticket services don't actually buy a ticket but simulate the game and pay out their own prize amounts and if the customer have all the winning numbers he doesn't win the jackpot but the amount the service pays for such a win.

If the rules are very vague chances are you don't have a ticket and neither does the ticket service but they have your five dollars and the fees they charged.  As long as you don't win very much you won't have a problem.

That was an excellent summary and advice RJOh.  I've bookmarked it as a favorite -- hope you don't mind if I lift your text sometime!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2007, 9:36 am - IP Logged

That was an excellent summary and advice RJOh.  I've bookmarked it as a favorite -- hope you don't mind if I lift your text sometime!

Thanks Todd, feel free to use it any way you like.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking