Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:01 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Really be anonymous ( powerball)

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ky
United States
Member #23078
October 7, 2005
18 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2007, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Ok so you have done all the studing and research, get a blind trust and all that.

You are a hermit... no friends or family to tell or share the pot with.... ( poor guy)

Anyway... you think you are in the clear.. but wait... what is to the stop the guy at the gas station you bought the ticket from checking the tapes to find out that it is you! You are a regular there!

I just dont think anyone could stay anonymous for long!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

That's why I always wear a disguise when I go in to buy my tickets.  Goof

ky
      United States
      Member #23078
      October 7, 2005
      18 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2007, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Hippythis one could be mine...... PEACE AND LOVE! Now leave me alone!

ky
        United States
        Member #23078
        October 7, 2005
        18 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2007, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

How about a ski mask? Wouldnt that be wild.... go in with one go to the cashier.... have your hands in your pocket.... quickly thrust out your hand witha $1 in it... and say in a high piched feminie voice, ONE POWERBALL QUICK PICK PLEASE!

Green laughIm amagining that here in my town.. the look on the cashiers face... ( i know those guys) Maybe not to freak them out totally i will wait till winter ( if i havent won yet) and do just that for the fun of it... it gets cold here and people wear those in the winter here

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2007, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I don't have a problem with claiming publicly. Besides, my parents will want to know how I bought my Lamborghini.Cool

Gonna win.Big Smile

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            North Carolina
            United States
            Member #54608
            August 24, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2007, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

i wouldn't go thru the trouble of trying to hide it....matter of fact i would enjoy the fact that everyone knew

Member #0
              January 1, 2000
              0 Posts
              Posted: October 27, 2007, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

Within hours of receiving the big check my butt will be firmly perched in the bucket seat of a top of the line motorhome and I will become lost as far as the press is concerned.I dare 'em to chase me down for an interview.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: October 27, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Do what a lady did here in Ky when she hit the power ball.She went to Louisville and took care of buisness and said see everyone later and went on a long vacation till things calmed down..Oh yeah...

Member #0
                  January 1, 2000
                  0 Posts
                  Posted: October 27, 2007, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Do what a lady did here in Ky when she hit the power ball.She went to Louisville and took care of buisness and said see everyone later and went on a long vacation till things calmed down..Oh yeah...

Basicly thats my plan with the motorhome.Just get gone until the press loses interest and starts harrassing the next lottery winner.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                    Houston, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #56457
                    November 19, 2007
                    55 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2007, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

That is exactly what a friend of mine did when she won the lotto, went on a transatlantic cruise. The time frame was like three weeks, when Mrs. X returned all the excitement had worn off.

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I guess a disguise would work, but having a sex change operation would probably be the best way to hide your identity. 

With the exception of a handful of states, you cannot remain anonymous.  So anyone who really cares will know you won.   Most people don't pay attention to who won the lottery. I mean, if you go to the store you might hear "Hey, did you hear about the guy who won..." but nobody really knows his name. 

Since we're on this board and we all buy tickets (I assume) it's more important to us.  I will make a bet that if every member of LP goes to the mall on Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year, and asks 100 people if they know Jack Whittaker, they'll look at you and say "Who?"  David Edwards is another name that comes to mind.  There were a few articles on LP about a man named Brad who said he was going to become a billionaire with his lottery money, and to be perfectly honest, I have no clue where he lived or what his last name is, and I'm a regular player.  On Thanksgiving Day ask everyone in your family who Steve West in Oregon is and they'll probably shrug.

It's a hit or miss for most people.  If someone you know happens to turn on the news the day you claim your prize or your picture is in the paper, then you can't run & hide.  In my case, I'd give notice and move before claiming my money anyway. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: November 20, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Sorry - if I hadn't waited so long, I'd edit my post.  You are talking about someone who doesn't have a friend in the world and whose relatives have all disappeared.  

"what is to the stop the guy at the gas station you bought the ticket from checking the tapes to find out that it is you! You are a regular there!"

Okay- this would make a good episode for one of those TV programs like Without A Trace or Law & Order.   You break into the store at night to steal the tape. It's dark and you trip over something. You shine your flashlight on the floor, and it's a body!  Suddenly the police show up.  So now you've gone out of your way to remain anonymous and your picture is all over the news as a murder suspect!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                          nashville
                          United States
                          Member #49896
                          February 18, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: November 20, 2007, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Sorry - if I hadn't waited so long, I'd edit my post.  You are talking about someone who doesn't have a friend in the world and whose relatives have all disappeared.  

"what is to the stop the guy at the gas station you bought the ticket from checking the tapes to find out that it is you! You are a regular there!"

Okay- this would make a good episode for one of those TV programs like Without A Trace or Law & Order.   You break into the store at night to steal the tape. It's dark and you trip over something. You shine your flashlight on the floor, and it's a body!  Suddenly the police show up.  So now you've gone out of your way to remain anonymous and your picture is all over the news as a murder suspect!

maybe with all that new money you can hire a great lawyer and plead insanity. you made a great point about asking a random person about jack whitaker and david edwards. we know  them because we play the lottery or read lottery news. maybe some of us are being too paranoid about how much attention we would receive after we win from strangers but your family members will know right away who you are and they will recognize your name on the news or internet even if you havent had time to tell them you won.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10391 Posts
                            Posted: November 20, 2007, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but go to Jack Whitaker's or Edwards' hometown and ask who they are.

I think ducthesskitty is right about it being impossible to reamin completely anonymous.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2007, 2:04 am - IP Logged

It's easy to move, so I don't think that people in your hometown knowingwho you are is that big a problem. What is a problem is the people who will seek you out. Edwards and Whittaker may have gotten requests from people who were local, but they got far more from people who lived far away from them. Scammers and people looking for a handout won't be trying to find homeless people, bums, crack whores, etc.  They will be looking for people who have a lot of money.  If you've won a big jackpot you're the type they're looking for.