Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"Nukote 22" win $61.5M PowerBall jackpot

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rteague.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

A lucky day in Bardstown

05:44 PM EDT on Thursday, September 27, 2007
Also online:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- It is the feel good story of the day, and WHAS11 News broke it first on our noon news: A group of working class folks in Bardstown, Kentucky strike it rich with a winning lottery ticket.

Twenty-two workers from the Nukote plant have been buying Powerball tickets for years -- this time, though, it paid off.

The first winning Powerball ticket in Kentucky since 2003 was cashed in about 4 hours ago by a group of people who work for Nukote, a company in nelson County that makes things like ink jets and paper.

Today it was a piece of paper that made each one of them a millionaire. 

Jane Shelver rode all the way from Bardstown with the ticket worth $61 million nestled deep in her purse.

Now nicknamed the Nukote 22, Jane and her coworkers arrived at Kentucky lottery headquarters around 1:30 p.m. Thursday. But the excitement began early this morning when Connie Mattingly compared numbers.

“I said, ‘Connie, this is it,’” Jane said. “Then she hangs up on me.”

The office pool, made up of 20 women and two men, played a dollar a week for 12 years. They will now split $61,500,000.

The group has 60 days to decide individually whether they will take a one-time cash payout or a larger amount spread out over 20 years.

The group let the machine pick the numbers that ended up winning for them. If they take the cash payout, it comes to a little over $800,000 after taxes. If it's taken over 20 years, it comes to about $3 million. 

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19813 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

That was quick, they didn't waste any time coming forward.  Apparently they had their lawyer and a limousine to deliver them to lottery headquarter already to go this morning less than 12 hours after the drawing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2007, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

That was quick, they didn't waste any time coming forward.  Apparently they had their lawyer and a limousine to deliver them to lottery headquarter already to go this morning less than 12 hours after the drawing.

I don't plan on waiting that long when I win a big jackpot to come foward. 2 days at most. Besides, I'll have plenty of time to think about what I want to do with the money while I'm on vacation in Las Vegas.Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

rteague's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #54608
        August 24, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

ok i'm not a very bright person and if/win i hit one for over 1mill there won't be no days or weeks before i cash in...it will be about 2 hours as thats how long it takes to drive to Raleigh HeadQuarters...So my question is,for what reason do people obtain lawyers/advisers etc.....can you not just deposit 50 mill in your bank....then worry about it later ??

Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: September 27, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Depositing $50 million in the bank is not a good idea unless you have 500 different banks to spread it around in, as bank deposits are only insured up to $100,000.

North Carolina
            United States
            Member #54608
            August 24, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: September 27, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

is that true for business's as well....i'm sure there are LARGE companies out there that deposit 100k on a daily basis

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: September 27, 2007, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Depositing $50 million in the bank is not a good idea unless you have 500 different banks to spread it around in, as bank deposits are only insured up to $100,000.

I'm not worried about opening 500 bank accounts to avoid something that is extremely rare, I want a place to put all that money where I know it will be safe. It's certainly safer than keeping a check worth millions of dollars in my wallet or cashing it and taking all the money back to my house and keeping it in a closet. I do plan on buying one of those big floorstanding Sentry Safe's(water and fire proof) to keep in my closet at my house for any large sums of cash I'd like to keep at my house.

Gonna win.Big Smile

North Carolina
                United States
                Member #54608
                August 24, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: September 27, 2007, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

well i just dont get the whole lawyer/adviser thing...

Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: September 27, 2007, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

well i just dont get the whole lawyer/adviser thing...

A lawyer or adviser is simply an option and if you choose not to hire one, then that doesn't mean you have made a bad choice. Some people feel more comfortable having someone who can give them ideas on how to management or invest their money while some would like to sort it all out themself. I myself would not hire a lawyer or adviser simply because I won a jackpot.

Gonna win.Big Smile

North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #54608
                    August 24, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: September 27, 2007, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

i probably wouldn't either..allthough the more i think about it,it may not be a bad idea...I may though hire a bodyguard or two in my travels to and from the Lottery HeadQuarters...