Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No Lottery In Sweet Home Alabama

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ShowAlaThe$'s avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
Birmingham
United States
Member #55394
September 28, 2007
6 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Have there ever been any (substantial) lottery winners from Alabama??  I give Ga and TN my fair share every month, but only won enough to bring back in my pocket, not a duffel bag Smile

Does anyone know how the taxes work out for winner from non-lottery states??  Do you get hit twice?  I feel a win coming on!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2007, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Sure there are winners from Alabama who traveled to Tennessee.

Yes you have to pay taxes sometimes in both states but one will be less than the other.

Winner Spotlight: David Smith, Burt Isabell

Two of the four Million $ Madness $1 million winners claimed their prizes at the Tennessee Lottery’s Nashville headquarters. The first to claim was David Smith of Old Hickory, Tenn., who purchased his ticket just a couple of hours before the game sold out on May 13. Smith remodels homes and “dropped his paintbrush” when he found out he had won. Burt Isabell, of Sylacauga, Alabama, arrived next with his daughter, Amy Lewis. He’s a sales manager at Bama Budweiser distributorship, and purchased his ticket via a friend on February 10 in Manchester. Congratulations to all!

The excitement continued as Valerie Graham, one of the two $50,000 winners of the May 14 Million $ Madness drawing, arrived at Lottery Headquarters in Nashville to claim her winnings. Valerie, who is a nurse in Ardmore, Alabama, purchased her ticket in neighboring Ardmore, Tenn. Joined by her son Dujuan, Valerie made the quick drive to Nashville where she accepted her winning check from Lottery President and CEO Rebecca Paul Hargrove. “I plan to pay a few bills and then live comfortably,” said Graham. Congratulations!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2007, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

We have weekly Sunday Travelers from AL coming to our store to play.

Sad AL doesn't want in on the money.  It is really useful for education.  I have seen lots of improvement in our school system.

Tax on Cigarettes have helped a bunch too..  Monday the taxes should go up another $4 per carton.  New law says raise taxes and fine smokers if caught smoking in public..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

ShowAlaThe$'s avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
        Birmingham
        United States
        Member #55394
        September 28, 2007
        6 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2007, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Made my run to the GA line today...........thanks for the ray of hope.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

You know this thing with taxes got me thinking, why in the world do you get double> triple jeopardy on taxes with lottery winnings.

First the state and the feds get huge profits from the lottery, you spend money wagering (which you can deduct when you win big) and then they reap even more by taking a chunk of your winnings in taxes. It is like they can't keep their money grubbing hands out of your pocket, no matter what.

This is the same as taxing interest gained from money saved from whence it was already taxed when you earned it.  What a rip. Sin tax2  my @$$!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2007, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

FOUR4ME says: 

"Sure there are winners from Alabama who traveled to Tennessee.

Yes you have to pay taxes sometimes in both states but one will be less than the other"

Why would you have to pay taxes in a state you don't reside in? Unless they want to charge you the time you spent in the state buying the tickets?

I can see federal tax and Alabama tax, but Tenn. tax? Why even bother playing? Triple tax. What a joke.

Just curious.Thanks.