Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Time Travel

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 9 years ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
Member #55246
September 20, 2007
225 Posts
Posted: October 1, 2007, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

I had an interesting talk with my 10 year old son. He told me if he is given one chance to travel in time and be gone for 5 minutes, he would go back to the .....zoic age (sorry only 10 year olds and below can spell the word), he wants to look at some dinosaurs, he said he wouldn't blink for 5 minutes. I told him, I would go 24 hours into the future, of course I did  not tell him my reasons. But you all know Wink what I am going to do...I will go online, go to the CA lottery website and copy the winning numbers. HAHAHA

How about you- if you were given 5 minutes to travel in time. How far into the past or how far into the future would you go? Remember you are only given one chance. Will you go back to correct a mistake? Or will you be a little "greedy" like me and go forward? Well, I am not really greedy, I just want to get out of debt.Blue Angel

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: October 1, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I just saw an old The Twilight Zone where some guy in the 1890's invented a hat that would take you to anytime you wanted to go, but only for 15 minutes (or maybe 30).  Like you, the first thing I thought of was that I'd wait till the Powerball was at 30 mil or more, then I'd travel ahead to the next drawing and get the numbers.  I'd come back and play them, plus a few tickets with 5+0 to give away.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

Rod Serling certainly had some Twilight Zone episodes about time travel, and always with an ironic twist. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2007, 2:05 am - IP Logged

It all depends on whether I could get back to where I am.  I'm also not sure if I would want to go back in time because I'd already know who was going to die and how, including friends & family.  What if you were able to travel back to 9/10/2001?  You couldn't do anything about it. The anxiety alone would be unbearable.

If I traveled to the future, it would be the same.  However, if I could travel just a day and come back, I agree with Lilly.  I would like to know what Saturday's FL Lotto number is going to be. That said, I wouldn't want to have an unfair advantage over all the other players.  Maybe I could just go back and "undo" some very stupid decisions.  All of us would like to go back & fix a few mistakes, some small, some big, some really huge. 

It would be nice to change the world, like come back with a miracle drug. I once saw a Twilight Zone where a man from the Old West traveled into modern times and learned that his son was going to be a doctor who helped a lot of people.  He had left his family at the wagon to look for help, since his son was burning with fever.  He ran back into the past with some penicillin. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2007, 2:22 am - IP Logged

Art Bell of late night radio has said that he believes people who win lottery jackpots and do exceptonally well in the stock market are time travelers!

Enter John Titor!

(Google John Titor or John Titor 2036) 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #119
            February 19, 2002
            527 Posts
            Posted: October 4, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

I had an interesting talk with my 10 year old son. He told me if he is given one chance to travel in time and be gone for 5 minutes, he would go back to the .....zoic age (sorry only 10 year olds and below can spell the word), he wants to look at some dinosaurs, he said he wouldn't blink for 5 minutes. I told him, I would go 24 hours into the future, of course I did  not tell him my reasons. But you all know Wink what I am going to do...I will go online, go to the CA lottery website and copy the winning numbers. HAHAHA

How about you- if you were given 5 minutes to travel in time. How far into the past or how far into the future would you go? Remember you are only given one chance. Will you go back to correct a mistake? Or will you be a little "greedy" like me and go forward? Well, I am not really greedy, I just want to get out of debt.Blue Angel

I would go back to November 22, 1963, to the Grassy Knoll, to see who were the bastards who shot down the President like a dog.

(Yes, I use the plural "bastards" because Oswald alone did not shoot the President, if he shot any gun there at all).

Of course, the assassins were hired men and not the actual conspirators.  They were just doing their dirty work.

I'm not sure if in only having 5 minutes I would be smart enough to do anything that would have stopped that assassination completely but I have an idea.

Assassination is the most despicable form of cowardice.  It is not an act of power, but of impotence.  Analogous to men who beat their wives, its effects are devastating.

If you disagree with a person, do not assassinate him or her.  The essence of democracy is the freedom to articulate ideas and put forth reason in spirited and healthy debate.  Democracy began to die a slow death that traumatic day in Dallas.

I'm no saint, and when I die I will have to give an accounting of my life to my Maker.  But so, too, will the men who killed Kennedy and the men behind them

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: October 4, 2007, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

If I had the gift of time travel,  I would want to see my dad again.

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                Raleigh
                United States
                Member #49057
                January 17, 2007
                172 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2007, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I would go back in time to when I was 18 (8 years ago), and give myself a single notecard, which would contain 1 set of lottery numbers and 10 stock picks in major companies, and the dates to buy and sell them.

I did the math, and with a meager $100M jackpot winning, put into various investments, I would have $6 billion today. :)

Also, it is not just about the money. Certainly, if I could go back in time and kill Hitler, meet Jesus and have a good chat with him, or stop 9/11, I would, but I think 5 minutes is too restrictive of a timeframe to do much but hand someone a notecard. 

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
                  Member #51269
                  April 3, 2007
                  529 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Ask the so-called psychics.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4575 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2007, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

I would go back in time to accomplish a few things.

1- Find out who the culprit was in the JonBennet Ramsey murder. And put the families heart at ease. donate the reward money to St Judes Hospital.

2. Meet Princess Diana and Mother Theresa.

3: Meet Johnny Depp and become his wife :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Big Hitter's avatar - tdspin17 e0.gif
                      Constitutional Money Is Real Money
                      Brick City
                      United States
                      Member #1216
                      March 3, 2003
                      1780 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2007, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

If time travel is possible the risk you take is going back to (or forward to) a parallel time stream where the past (or future) is slightly shifted from the time stream you came from (this was the plot of the show Sliders). You would still be on Earth, but everything is twisted, The Germans won WWII, The Yankees only win one World Series, The Dallas Cowboys aren't America's Team ect. There are theories in physics that describe these parallel time streams as being slightly out of phase with ours, going on at the same pace we do, with everything twisted. So going forward to get next weeks Power or Mega numbers may not work out exactly the way you think. Thud

Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power.
                      Oprah Winfrey

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      (attributed to) Albert Einstein

I have failed many times, and that's why I am a success.
                      Michael Jordan

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals
                      himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Albert Einstein

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                        Tx
                        United States
                        Member #4570
                        May 4, 2004
                        5180 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2007, 4:10 am - IP Logged

5 minutes is very little time, you can hardly do anything in that time, going forward or backward is very limited, it would be best to also be able to go to a particular place that you want to go to, otherwise you would only move in time, but still be in the very same place that you are at that time, you might have just enough time to get the winning numbers for your state's lottery, but it is said that a person can't be in 2 places at the very same time, not in your flesh body, only in the sould, spirit or ego or whatever it is called, that would mean that you could not take a pen or pencil and paper with you, so you would need to remember the numbers, if you forget them, then you don't win.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                          Member #4121
                          March 23, 2004
                          817 Posts
                          Posted: October 11, 2007, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Time travel is one scary stuff.  I remember a movie where a guy goes back in time to try to save his girlfriend's life.  Each time the guy  tries to save his girlfriend's life she dies a different way, but worst than before.  In the end he lets his girlfriend die the first way.  So what is meant to be is meant to be.  However going into the future maybe a better idea.