Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

ron paul

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
portland, oregon
United States
Member #54263
August 12, 2007
14 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2007, 12:55 am - IP Logged

wants to abolish the irs if he becomes president. kapoof to federal lottery taxes. any thoughts?

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2007, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Don't get your hopes up. He is running on the platform of more freedom, while the party he is trying to court is running on the platform of less freedom (see Internet Gambling posts for proof).

(insert signature here)

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2007, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I think we need some kind of income tax, and I'm against the so-called "Fair Tax" but I do agree with Ron Paul that total tax reform isn't the answer. Getting the Federal Government to control its spending is.   

One thing that is directly related to winning the lottery is estate tax.  I never realized until dvdiva opened my eyes that, if I ever win and took the annuity, if I die my sister might have to pay estate tax on the entire gift, even if she doesn't have possession of it.  Then I looked up several court cases where lottery winners died and their families fought the IRS on the estate tax issue.  This is what Ron Paul has to say on this matter. 

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul328.html

ToadSchmode's avatar - aquas1

United States
        Member #53834
        July 23, 2007
        467 Posts
        Posted: October 8, 2007, 4:55 am - IP Logged

wants to abolish the irs if he becomes president. kapoof to federal lottery taxes. any thoughts?

I agree with him 100%! The system is way out of control.

Only know you've been high when your feeling low...Passenger Guitar

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2007, 2:04 am - IP Logged

Doing away with the income tax would be nice but i just don't see it happening, and here's why- the people with the $300,000 Rolls Royces who own the politicians (and thus didn;t pay any taxes on those $300,000 Rolls) simply aren't going to let it happen.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
            LAS VEGAS
            United States
            Member #47729
            November 22, 2006
            4494 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2007, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

The power to tax is the power to destroy and CONGRESS will never vounterily reliquish this power!

Dr Paul is more right then wrong on taxes-

EddessaKnight

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
              FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2007, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Ron Paul is the man...by far the best candidate from any party IMHO.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: October 10, 2007, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Doing away with the income tax would be nice but i just don't see it happening, and here's why- the people with the $300,000 Rolls Royces who own the politicians (and thus didn;t pay any taxes on those $300,000 Rolls) simply aren't going to let it happen.

I know A LOT of multimillionaires that pay A LOT more in taxes than I do, and I'm sure more than most (all) of you as well.

If a person has 10 million, and is taxed down to, say 6 million, you don't notice it as much as a person that has, say $75,000 and is taxed down to $40,000.

What *I* don't like is the millionaires that become multi-millionaires because of who they know it political office: 'what can you do for me ?'

Throw a guy a government contract or two, and they have it MADE in the shade.

What do you think this conflict is all about ?   It's not about 'oil' - it's about BUSINESS. 

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2007, 10:05 am - IP Logged

If anyone can find a copy of it, read a book called The April Game, by Diogenes.

"Diogenes" is the pen name of a fromer IRS agent who wrote an expose aboput some of the cases he worked, one was a millionaire who declared himself a "starving artist" and didn't pay anything in taxes.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

If any politician says one thing you can expext something else..

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #46570
                      September 14, 2006
                      558 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

If anyone can find a copy of it, read a book called The April Game, by Diogenes.

"Diogenes" is the pen name of a fromer IRS agent who wrote an expose aboput some of the cases he worked, one was a millionaire who declared himself a "starving artist" and didn't pay anything in taxes.  

Did this so-called 'starving artist' have his money in some foreign bank where the IRS couldn't do anything to him or make him pay taxes?

You know the old saying.. the rich get richer and the poor get poorer ... the rich just dont want to spend or lose any money whatsoever ... or they lose that sense of power or prestege. The poor people, as little money as they have, always help out each other and are taxed heavily. Then there's the middle class, which is shifting uncontrollably.. some fall into much debt and slip into the poor class while others get through and become wealthy. If the middle class were to fade out, and most become low middle class/poor, I think there will be big problems for this country. A civil unrest could occur where you have rich on one side and poor on the other side ... and there are a hell of alot more poor than rich.  I don't think all wealthy people are snobs or jerks or anything, but what annoys me is that most feel they have this image thing that they can't and wont give up at all costs. Thats just how I feel about it.. just my opinion.

& If I were to win a major jackpot, winning millions, I know in my heart of hearts, that I will not let the money get to me and develop this kind of mentality. I'd still dress the same way and act the same way and eat out at all the same places as I always have. Thats just who I am and how I was raised. Having the extra money will only allow me to have material possesions, but thats all it will do for me.

I just hope whoever is elected as the next president, will do whats right for this country. I mean look at GWB when he got elected, he was the only president who didnt walk the route to the whitehouse and have to drive there as crowds of angry people boo'd and protested him. Now what does that tell ya ?!?

Sorry if I got a little off topic.

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5114 Posts
                        Posted: October 10, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

If any politician says one thing you can expext something else..

I Agree!

BatI Agree!Bat..........It happen's every darn "TIME"

to this PSYKO (gee??????..........& I keep think'in it's just me!)

Bought, a new car & got EATTTTTTEN alive by tag & TAXES &

everywhere I go it's moe sales tax this & that TOO & moe I spend

the closer I get to dee pur house cause I pay deem gas taxes too

get too work & when my new car go's to shop for a warranty>>>

problem............Yes,...................GUESS WHAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you got "FEE's" on that TOO....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Now, all my friend's say VOTE HILLARY in 2008 & wait cause

"EVERYTHING GONNA be "FREE"!!!!

lol>>>>>>>>>>>>>>too all (HOPE YOU do better than psykomo) 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: October 10, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Did this so-called 'starving artist' have his money in some foreign bank where the IRS couldn't do anything to him or make him pay taxes?

I believe the IRS can always 'do something' regardless of where your money is invested.  There are foreign banks online that are always advertising, but they indicate that the interest earned will be reported to the IRS.  I am not 100% sure that this is true in every country, but I don't know how you can transfer it without a paper trail.

I knew someone like that several years ago.  He didn't claim he was a starving artist, but he claimed bankruptcy when he was a millionaire.  I realize the laws have changed recently, but people used to move to FL, buy a million dollar mansion on the beach and claim bankruptcy.  The key is to not have your money sitting in a bank account. There are many ways to invest money. From what I gathered after spending a few months with his "crowd" they all knew lots of legal loopholes that gave them so many deductions, the percent of tax they paid on income was very small compared to most of us "regular" folks.  When Chewie was on the board, he used to talk about Disney and the ways he avoided estate tax and won his battle with the IRS.  I think it's very similar. 

By the way, that brief experienced proved to me that I don't like rich people very much.  LOL

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10345 Posts
                            Posted: October 10, 2007, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

In the book, "Diogenes" said the "starving artist" aggravated him the most simply because the guy got away with it and there was nothing he could do about it. 

He said compared to people that didn't intentionally try to beat the system but got in trouble made him see a case like this and he himself think, "Where's the justice."

Lep

Big Hitter's avatar - tdspin17 e0.gif
                              Constitutional Money Is Real Money
                              Brick City
                              United States
                              Member #1216
                              March 3, 2003
                              1762 Posts
                              Posted: October 10, 2007, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Ron Paul is the man...by far the best candidate from any party IMHO.

I Agree!

Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power.
                              Oprah Winfrey

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              (attributed to) Albert Einstein

I have failed many times, and that's why I am a success.
                              Michael Jordan

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals
                              himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Albert Einstein