Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pot Size Prediction?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bashley572.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MissNYC's avatar - diva
Westchester, New York
United States
Member #49345
January 27, 2007
168 Posts
Posted: October 22, 2007, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

The Mega Millions and Powerball lotteries have not been exciting since the end of August. How large do you think the pots will get this time before they hit again?

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2007, 7:22 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
      Member #28409
      December 15, 2005
      1198 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2007, 7:28 am - IP Logged

I'm thinking not too big.  But am hoping I'm wrong.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
        West Side of Sunny Florida
        United States
        Member #55048
        September 8, 2007
        3371 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking not too big.  But am hoping I'm wrong.

I will take/play EVEN the small jackpots.  But you are right the NY Lotto moves up very slowly when it is low such as 3 mil.  But seems to jump up once it reachs 20mil or so. 

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

One day I went to the terminal on Wed evening to play my regular Lotto numbers.  The FL lottery had previously rolled over several times and was over $40 million, but someone had just hit it on Saturday.  The player in front of me said "I'm not going to waste my money for $3 million."  So he doesn't think he's wasting his money when the jackpot is $40 million?  The odds are still the same.  I mean, if someone honestly thinks he has any chance at all of winning the lottery, why wouldn't he bet one lousy buck to get back $3 million?  Is there anyone on this board who can't use an extra $2,999,999?  Sorry, I'm not arguing with anyone, but what isn't "exciting" about winning $500,000?

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

One day I went to the terminal on Wed evening to play my regular Lotto numbers.  The FL lottery had previously rolled over several times and was over $40 million, but someone had just hit it on Saturday.  The player in front of me said "I'm not going to waste my money for $3 million."  So he doesn't think he's wasting his money when the jackpot is $40 million?  The odds are still the same.  I mean, if someone honestly thinks he has any chance at all of winning the lottery, why wouldn't he bet one lousy buck to get back $3 million?  Is there anyone on this board who can't use an extra $2,999,999?  Sorry, I'm not arguing with anyone, but what isn't "exciting" about winning $500,000?

I Agree! i would be very excited about half a million dollars. i would be shocked if the guy who made that statement justx is already a millionaire so why would consider one dollar to win 3 million a waste? a return that big after only spending a dollar is exciting to me i dont just wait until the megamillions or powerball lotteries are in the hundreds of millions to play i have at least a dollar in every drawing.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2007, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Lots of people only play the lotteries when their jackpots are large.  If you're only going to play a few times, why play when the jackpota are small?  Like you say, the odds of winning the jackpot are the same regardless of its size.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2007, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Lots of people only play the lotteries when their jackpots are large.  If you're only going to play a few times, why play when the jackpota are small?  Like you say, the odds of winning the jackpot are the same regardless of its size.

I guess it depends how you look at it RJOh.   If you are only going to play a few times a year, I guess that makes sense.  I just don't see how winning $15 million (isn't that the minimum for PB?) wouldn't be a major life change.   

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Wherever you have gambling you have greed, unadulterated greed (both by some of the players and those operating the game, no matter what the game).

The person you mention here is one of those, "I like to let everyone else pump up the jackpot for me, then I play".  

Ut -oh, here come the flames...c'est la vie.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19903 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

I guess it depends how you look at it RJOh.   If you are only going to play a few times a year, I guess that makes sense.  I just don't see how winning $15 million (isn't that the minimum for PB?) wouldn't be a major life change.   

I once had a friend who was alway saying I was wasting my money whenever I played and the jackpot was small.  When I won $1500 by matching 5/6 in the state lottery, he asked what I plan to do with it and I jokingly told him "Nothing, what can you do with $1500?".  That shut him up, a lot of people don't think $15M  is a lot of money until they know someone who has it.

Evil Looking       

Brazil
                      Member #51781
                      April 24, 2007
                      384 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2007, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Well, most of the time I don't care much about the size of the pot, if it is more than just a million... After all I like to play games with fixed prizes for the lower categories. If someone win a secondary prize it would be the same for a normal or very large jackpot. 

Now, for a first division jackpot, I would prefer more than 20 million ... Ok,15 is fine (even after the taxes). 

Maybe, someday I would need to go the the North America for visiting  some places in the United States .

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:42 am - IP Logged

Anyone with sense will always weigh the risk against the reward. You're not risking much with a $1 lottery ticket, but wouldn't you prefer to risk it on a bigger reward? If you had the choice to buy a $1 ticket for a game with a $3 million prize or a $1 ticket for a game with a $5 million dollar prize which would you choose if both games had the same odds?

Now suppose the choice was to get one ticket for both games or two tickets for the one with the bigger prize. Which would you choose? Maybe the guy buys the same number of tickets as you do, but he buys them when the jackpots are bigger. Not only does it make sense because he's risking the same amount of money for a bigger reward, but his odds will be slightly better.  Getting 104 tickets for 1 drawing gives you absolutely no chance of winning two jackpots, but if gives you a slighlty better chance of winning one jackpot than if you bought 1 ticket for each of 104 drawings. From a purely mathematical standpoint you should spend your entire annual (or lifetime, FTM) budget on one drawing.

That's a logical reason to spend your budget selectively. If you always play the same number, there's some merit in playing every drawing, because it would be a major disappointment if your numbers actually came up when you hadn't played. Other than that, it really doesn't make sense to play every drawing. Of course I'll happily encourage people to keep doing it, because I wouldn't have any chance at all to win a big jackpot if people didn't build up the smaller ones.

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: October 24, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd writes:  "Other than that, it really doesn't make sense to play every drawing. Of course I'll happily encourage people to keep doing it, because I wouldn't have any chance at all to win a big jackpot if people didn't build up the smaller ones."

I actually heard the tone in your voice as I read your post.  Too bad that jackpot payouts can't be prorated according to the amount contributed!   

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                            West Side of Sunny Florida
                            United States
                            Member #55048
                            September 8, 2007
                            3371 Posts
                            Posted: October 24, 2007, 7:25 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd writes:  "Other than that, it really doesn't make sense to play every drawing. Of course I'll happily encourage people to keep doing it, because I wouldn't have any chance at all to win a big jackpot if people didn't build up the smaller ones."

I actually heard the tone in your voice as I read your post.  Too bad that jackpot payouts can't be prorated according to the amount contributed!   

you would never get any NEW players cuz they have nothing in yet and would get nothing out till they put alot in... No Pity!

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19903 Posts
                              Posted: October 24, 2007, 9:30 am - IP Logged

you would never get any NEW players cuz they have nothing in yet and would get nothing out till they put alot in... No Pity!

A few years ago a lottery pool in a steel plant near Cleveland tried some similar foolishness when they won a jackpot. They had been playing the lottery for years and invited a new employee to join them.  He did and they won.  When they split up their winnings they wanted him to accept a smaller share since he had just joined the pool before it won.  The case ended up in court with him getting an equal share of the winnings .

Evil Looking