Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Letting Someone Else Claim My Powerball Winnings

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Do your relative love you enough to pay taxes on your winnings from his pockets. 

That's kind of like these no name charities calling my home and telling me that they aren't asking me for a donation but they're just asking me to go around to my neighbors and collect donations to send to them.  It's a scam but it not my scam since I don't keep any of the money. 

I think it's a neat story because even though they don't want the government to find out they are spending public assistance on lottery tickets, they have no problem telling it to the people paying for it.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3501 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and a first-time Powerball player.  I'm not sure yet, but I believe I've won $800 on my ticket!

Problem is, I am disabled and exist on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), live in low-income housing, get food stamps... you know, that 'living high-on-the-hog' lifestyle.

For me to claim my winnings would require reporting my winning to everyone in the government, and losing benefits Confused.

Is it legal to ask someone else to cash in my ticket for me?  Is that an unfair thing to ask of someone in the first place? 

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

It's completely legal to have somebody else cash the ticket for you. What's illegal is not following the rules on reporting income when you are collecting disability.  Your plan just makes you one of the people who is defrauding the government, and the taxpayers who have been kind enough to help you out.Being poor and desparate won't make your ethics any better and won't make you any less of a thief and a liar. 

TeaRowz's avatar - yellowrose bullet1.jpg
      Maine
      United States
      Member #55876
      October 23, 2007
      7 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2007, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone.  I got my answer as to the legality of letting someone cash the ticket for me.  And I got a morality lesson to boot!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

We just "coincidentally" had another thread like this one a few days ago.  Someone on disability wanted to know how winning some money would affect his disability benefit.  Is someone writing a paper about the honesty of lottery players and using this board for research?

In a way, I completely understand why someone who is living on disability would play PB.  Everyone wants hope. Disability is all relative. Some people live in wheelchairs and make great livings as accountants, lawyers & computer programmers. I have a friend who lost his arm in an accident and went back to school and makes a lot of money doing something that doesn't require 2 arms.  I see people with cerebral palsy & other disabilities working at the supermarket.  Still, there's certainly nothing wrong with someone who needs assistance to collect it.  We all need to be sympathetic to those of us who are less fortunate than we are.  Too bad the system is a failure and there is so much abuse.  I see it every day.

As far as getting someone to cash the ticket - there is nothing illegal about it.  People buy tickets as gifts all the time. It wouldn't even matter if you are on videotape, as long as the ticket wasn't stolen. You can always give a ticket to someone as a gift. It is nobody's business.  Then whatever that person gives you is up to him.  It's true that he'd have to claim the $800 as income, but if he's only in a 15% bracket, then you 2 are still way ahead.  Whether or not I approve of this is an entirely different thing - that's a moral issue.  I don't like seeing my taxes going to someone's drinking, smoking or gambling habit but I think I prefer that over spending trillions to fund a war (another $46 billion requested by Bush today.)  If a severely disabled person decided to spend a few bucks on a whim and won some money, so what? 

Good luck and congratulations on your win.  Thumbs Up

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5145 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2007, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and a first-time Powerball player.  I'm not sure yet, but I believe I've won $800 on my ticket!

Problem is, I am disabled and exist on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), live in low-income housing, get food stamps... you know, that 'living high-on-the-hog' lifestyle.

For me to claim my winnings would require reporting my winning to everyone in the government, and losing benefits Confused.

Is it legal to ask someone else to cash in my ticket for me?  Is that an unfair thing to ask of someone in the first place? 

Congrat's TR:

I>>>>>>really hope you HAVE really>>>>>WON^^^^^^^^

$800.00>>>cash!!

feel G@@D bout it !!

take PRIDE in YOUR BLESSING'$$$$$

IF you have a telephone.........................................??????????????

PLEASE call the SALVATION ARMY............................BE HAPPY>>>>

don't BE "SAD"

MAKE a DONATIONATION>>>>>>>>>IN YOUR GREAT.....NAME!!!!!

psyko does it all the time and EVERY chance I get cause it HELP$$$$$$$$

meanwhile>>>>keep playin D lottery & if YOU >JACKPOT

>>>>>>>>>>>>> DO whatcha ah YOU want to DO >>>>>>>

it's Yo "THING "$$

& SALVATION ARMY...............$$$TOO$$

LOL

PSYKOMO 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Great idea, Psykomo!

& God Bless You, TeaRowz!  Blue Angel

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10392 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

This thread makes me wonder how many posting and critcizing someone on disability playing a lotterry ticket would stop playing if they found themselves in the same situation.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                Magnolia, Delaware
                United States
                Member #18795
                July 20, 2005
                789 Posts
                Posted: October 24, 2007, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm, something I once read just came to mind, Thee that is free of sin, cast the first stone!

That is for all of those morality lesson people out there! And I wonder which of those even fudge even just a little on their taxes think that their cheating isn't all that bad."A Cheat, is A Cheat, no matter how you slice it". Take that dose of morality and put it in your pipe and smoke it!

Heck let me go with another one along those same lines. "People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones".

Now that one I know is right! I'm just covering my behind from those who think they have the right to push their morality issues on others! Wow man, I thought everyone here was an adult? and as such, each and everyone of us have already gone through the morality lessons while growing up, thanks to our parents! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

ga.
                  United States
                  Member #7829
                  October 14, 2004
                  614 Posts
                  Posted: October 24, 2007, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

TeaRowz....Please do not feel guilty....Most if not all commenting have no idea what it is like to live week to week,paycheck to paycheck....Myself included...but I do have relatives that live this way,so I know it is difficult...Now I will say the amount you spent was in my opinion high..but you won and it paid off.... I say have a relative or friend  claim you winnings...but rather they ask or not you give that person the money to cover the taxes and a generous tip....that is what I call fair and what I call giving back. I am sure those here on the site,gamble away more than you would owe the government...myself included....we should all thank God that we are able bodied enough to support ourselves and those who cannot. Have a blessed day..

GracieGirl

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: October 24, 2007, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

If indeed it is only $400, (and I just checked the Maine website and believe the $400 is the correct amount) you should be able to claim without filing any forms, thus no reports to gov't. agencies.  Go to a lottery retailer and ask if they can cash a $400 ticket.  Bet they can.

Don't let the naysayers in this thread get you down.  I've seen several threads here that they play Pick 3 on different tickets so the winnings won't go over $600 and they won't have to report and be taxed on the winnings.  I don't think there's a bit of difference between that situation and yours as far as ethics go.

What they don't understand is that you have to be dirt poor to get SSI (that's Supplemental Income, not regular social security) in the first place.  Then if you have any sort of income, including GIFTS, they subtract the full amount from your SSI so there's no way you can get ahead by being honest unless you're lucky enough to win hundreds of thousands of dollars so you can afford living expenses without aid.  Each state sets their own rules for SSI, but that's how my state does it.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #6
                      November 4, 2001
                      8797 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I have not seen any rules as to who can or can not play the lottery.

Got a dollar in your pocket, play the lottery if you want.

Yeah and how about those people playing numbers and keeping the win below tax reporting.

Oo'Ka

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7713 Posts
                        Posted: October 25, 2007, 8:47 am - IP Logged

What I can't fathom is why do you have to claim ANYTHING on a measly 800 bucks? (okay,maybe not so measly,it's a nice chunk of change)Maybe your state has different rules. I thought the minimum was $1200 before you had to report anything.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23352 Posts
                          Posted: October 25, 2007, 8:55 am - IP Logged

Yes, I can EARN a certain amount of money before it would affect my benefits, but this isn't earned income.  The full amount of my winnings would be considered in future determinations of my benefits.  And even this 'small' amount could really hurt me.

Just so you're aware, lottery winnings in most states (and from a Federal tax perspective) are considerd the same as regular wages.  The word "earn" is not really applicable.  The government doesn't care about the level of effort required to gain the income, only that you have it.

BTW, you definitely did the right thing by posting your question here, where you can gain the benefit of many people's views.  Don't be put off when somebody posts something that seems "attacking".  Remember that people tend to post things online that they would not say in person, and their words do not always come across as intended.

I hope you decide to stick around and participate in some of the other lottery discussions.

For someone who has trouble getting around, Lottery Post is a great way to engage in discussion with others who share your enthusiasm for the lottery.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19903 Posts
                            Posted: October 25, 2007, 9:11 am - IP Logged

What I can't fathom is why do you have to claim ANYTHING on a measly 800 bucks? (okay,maybe not so measly,it's a nice chunk of change)Maybe your state has different rules. I thought the minimum was $1200 before you had to report anything.

You are suppose to claim/report all your winnings but the states aren't required to issue a W-G for amounts less than $600.   The $1200 might be for gambling tournaments and I think that has been changed too.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking