Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Codes on Instant Tickets

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by twestcrowe.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #47693
November 19, 2006
7 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi folks! 

I have been trying to post this all day, but kept making the mistake of putting a site link in it thereby shutting myself out.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the current winning codes on the instant lottery tickets are.  From the past from what I know, the following indicates the some of the instant wins:   ZAP = $40; ZAN = $30; ZFM = $25; HUN = $100; FVH = $500; and one time PTY = $1000, but that has changed.

Why am I asking this question?

As you may have read that here in NY in Shirley, a lady said that she bought a ticket from a local supermarket's lottery dispensing machine.  She claims that the ticket was issued in two halves.  placing the ticket together, she claims that she won $25,000.  Shirley is near my hometown and I know the store she bought it from.  when I went on the 1010wins dot com website, a picture of the ticket was displayed showing a "M(or H)XPK". This is different that the 3-number codes I have seen.  I have never seen a 4-number code.  The Lottery officials claim that the ticket has been manipulated because the barcode colors at the top and bottom do not match.  Now for sake of argument this lady could have been given to different halves, one of which was a winnining number but she didn't get the other half.  (I would have paid the machine the two dollars and got the other half of the next ticket to check this out.)

If you guys have any answers or comments on this, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

TWC

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23259 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Just in case you haven't seen it, the news story you are referring to is posted on Lottery Post:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/164955

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #47693
      November 19, 2006
      7 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2007, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Darn. And I have been trying to post this since early this morning! :(  I hate to be the second fiddle. :)

Anyway the question still stands if anyone know of these codes.  I am very interested in seeing how this all plays out.

TWC

Rolling's avatar - pacman
        Queens, New York
        United States
        Member #20832
        August 26, 2005
        35 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

The ticket is an obvious fake...and a really bad one as well. All NY instant games only have 3 validation codes for all prize levels (including top prizes). There is no such thing as a 4-letter validation code on any NY instant ticket. This person obviously didn't know this fact and thought that if they just attached two tickets...one half, which contained the winning number, and the other, containing the matching number w/ prize, they would be set.

In addition, all NY instant tickets alternate between red and blue lines in the actual play area. No single ticket can have blue AND red lines showing.

Here's what I think probably happened: The person bought a couple of consecutive Blue Moon Bucks instant game tickets from the machine. Let's say they were ticket numbers 229, 228, and 227. All the tickets were losers, but they noticed that ticket 229 had a 'Winning Number' 13 and ticket 228 had a 'Your Number' 13 on top of the $25,000. This is very common by the way with the way these instant tickets work. They make you think you are really close to winning....just one off.

Feeling frustrated this person probably thought, 'if only I had the Winning Number from this ticket was on the next ticket, it would be a winner.' It's wishful thinking.

Here is where splicing the two tickets came into play. However, I'm sure if you scan the bar code as well, it will not validate.

It's nice to dream though. :)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2007, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

That's a good description Rolling.  Fortunately, most people just stick with dreaming about "what if the numbers matched".  This lady actually tried to force it to happen.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
            Member #47693
            November 19, 2006
            7 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2007, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

The saddest part of all of this is that this lady was foolish enough to run and spend money she didn't have in hand and live like a queen for a moment, only to end up as a pauper.  I guess there is a lot to the saying, "don't count your chickens . . . "  I do feel for all those involved.Disapprove

TWC

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3471 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2007, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I don't know what codes the NY lottery is using, but both halves are from legitimate tickets, so the H or M is supposed to be there. I would presume that the code should be all on the bottom or all on the top, and the H therefore has some other significance.

As far as  spending the $2 trying to get the other half, if you have the bar code you have th eoart that determines if it's a winner and there's no guarantee that another $2 (or $20, FTM) will get you the missing half. Another possibility is getting the missing half, along with half of the next ticket on the roll. When do you stop spending $2 to get the rest? A lot of people complain about tickets that they think are winners but aren't, but  all defective tickets win you a free ticket, which  is better than what you get with most valid tickets.

United States
                Member #47693
                November 19, 2006
                7 Posts
                Posted: October 24, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd, 

You are totally correct.  I think that the *dream* thing is taken far.  So much that we "all" dream that we have the winner.  I remember when I did a scratch off and I thought it was a winner.  I breathed a sigh of relief and said "finally!"  Guess what?  It wasn't a winner, just wishful thinking. 

This is the reason we are on this forum, this is the reason we play:  not just for fun; not just for excitement; but, for dreams and wishful thinking.  This concept and thought has kept the lotteries running since bible days.

Must my two cents.

TWC