Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this a dumb thing to say?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 9 years ago by fastball 9.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2007, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I play lottery from all over the United states because I travel alot by car.  I promised myself that If I win the lottery in that state, I'm going to live there, get married there and retire there.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11929 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2007, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Not the craziest thing I have heard...

Technically you can do all those things and maintain your residency while visiting other parts of the world for years at a time..Technically!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2007, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I play lottery from all over the United states because I travel alot by car.  I promised myself that If I win the lottery in that state, I'm going to live there, get married there and retire there.

I haven't promised myself that, but have had the very same thought - if you ever hit a jackpot, move to the state that paid it to you (within reason, Louisiana, Florida or anywhere with year round summer is out for me!)

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

It may be a dumb thing to do. Suppose you made a list of all 50 states and put them in order from the state you'd most like to live in to the state you'd least like to live in. What is it about winning the lottery that would change the order? I think it would be pretty stupid to move the the last one on the list if you had 5 or 10 million bucks in the bank and could live anywhere you wanted to.

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2007, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Gee, I don't know, Floyd- I can see someone enjoing themselves in a state they thought they didn't want to live in, with 5 or 10 million, better than not having 5 or 10 million living in a state they like. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            Beautiful Florida
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            20110 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I would say if you win the Lottery, you could do anything you wanted. So if thats what you feel like, go for it...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2007, 2:31 am - IP Logged

It may be a dumb thing to do. Suppose you made a list of all 50 states and put them in order from the state you'd most like to live in to the state you'd least like to live in. What is it about winning the lottery that would change the order? I think it would be pretty stupid to move the the last one on the list if you had 5 or 10 million bucks in the bank and could live anywhere you wanted to.

I agree with you.  I'm surprised so far nobody has commented on the "get married" part.  What does that have to do with winning the lottery?

Dear Bill,

I know you and I have been together for 3 years and I promised that some day we'd get married and spend our lives together forever.  However, I've got some disturbing news for you.  I won $20 million in Mayberry NC at my last sales meeting and you live in Omaha.  So I decided to marry Goober at the gas station, since he's the guy who sold me the winning ticket and I feel sort of obligated.  I hope you can understand and forgive me.

With loving memories,

Mary

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Dearest Mary,

This is so unfair. When we met I was living in Asheville and you talked me into moving to Omaha with you right after you had that dream about hitting the Nebraska lottery.

I taught you how to use numerology to work the dream symbols into numbers and you claimed them as "your numbers" and I'll bet that's the one you won with, right?

Hope you and Goober live happily everafter, dining on RCs and Moon Pies.

Sincerely,

sniff

Bill

PS

You did see the news item about the NC lottery paying jackpots in Confederate money, right?

Lep

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                  nashville
                  United States
                  Member #49896
                  February 18, 2007
                  1181 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Dear Bill,

Thanks for dragging your feet on setting a wedding date to get married to this rich i mean wonderful woman Mary. We will be married today by our towns sheriff Andy Taylor during my lunch break from wally's filling station. my cousin Gomer will be my best man. ill send you a case of RC and Moon Pies. We plan to start our family right away.

Thanks again,

Goober

PS as long as we only try to spend the confederate money in NC we should be fine.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: November 19, 2007, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Will there be any of Aunt Bee's apple pies at the reception?

Go to fullsize image

P.S. Smoothjuice live wherever your heart desires.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2007, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Gee, I don't know, Floyd- I can see someone enjoing themselves in a state they thought they didn't want to live in, with 5 or 10 million, better than not having 5 or 10 million living in a state they like. 

I'm sure Saddam Hussein liked Baghdad just fine for a while, but I don't think having a billion dollars would make it a good place for most of us. I'm sure you could enjoy yourself, but there are probably better choices.  The point is that finding enjoyment in a place you didn't already want to live in is probably a poor substitute for enjoying yourself in a place that would have been one of your first choices. The freedom to choose your home for reasons other than your ability to earn a living is one of the things that money can buy.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2007, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it is dumb, but it's not something I would do. I've played the lottery in a few different states, but I wouldn't live there just because I won. Sometimes I am just passing somewhere and I buy a ticket. I have no desire to set up residency every where I have traveled.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2007, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it is dumb at all.   

When I speak of working after winning a jackpot, people look at me like I am crazy.   I love my career.   Seeing lightbulbs go off in the children's eyes as they comprehend a math problem or learn to pronounce/spell a new word is priceless..

My hubby says he wants to travel after a big win... He promises to wave as he passes by.. lol

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Dolce, Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #26462
                            November 18, 2005
                            50 Posts
                            Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Be careful if it's Indiana.  Or the Calumet Region.