Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot Value.

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

What amount above the following do you consider to be a jackpot?

Anything over a dollar. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$100-$1000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$1000-$5000 [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
$5000-$25,000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$25,000-$100,000 [ 10 ]  [21.74%]
$100,000-$500,000 [ 9 ]  [19.57%]
$500,000-$1,000,000 [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
$1,000,000-$50,000,000 [ 11 ]  [23.91%]
$50,000,000-$100,000,000 [ 8 ]  [17.39%]
Only a $100Mil. or more can make me happy. [ 1 ]  [2.17%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
Harbinger
D.C./MD.
United States
Member #44103
July 30, 2006
5583 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2007, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

With all the news stories of multiple jackpot winners: What comes to mind when you read or hear about a jackpot hit?  I consider a jackpot to mean a substantial cash amount that will greatly reduce or eliminate one's liabilities to the point of having the financial freedom to do whatever you desire. For myself anything over $100K would just about qualify.

Turkey

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

I agree that a real jackpot is $100,000 or more, but often jackpot games like Fantasy 5 have more than 1 winner and they share $250,000 or so.   If I hit a $250,000 jackpot along with 3 or 4 other players, I would still say to myself "I finally won a jackpot" -  just not a large one.  So I checked the $25,000 to $100,000 box, although I had second thoughts after I made my choice.

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
      Houston, Texas
      United States
      Member #56457
      November 19, 2007
      55 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I think any amount is a jackpot since I didn't have that amount to begin with, the more money the bigger the blessing.

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2007, 1:45 am - IP Logged

The line is fuzzy, but I figure anything under a million is "just" a big prize. Even a $2 million dollar cash "jackpot" won't net you much over a million. Enough to have financial freedom is a good benchmark, but if you only need another 100 grand to have financial freedom you've already hit the jackpot in life. For me to have financial freedom and not worry about rising costs and the possibility that I'll be on a fixed income for another 50 years I'd want to have at least another million invested, and two would be a safer bet.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
          Member #15309
          May 13, 2005
          307 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2007, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Jackpot for me would be an amount that would pay all my outstanding debts so I'll be debt-free, give me financial independence so I don't have to work if I don't feel like, allow me to travel more, and allow me to share more. Hurray!

Sun Smiley             

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2007, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Good question because i consider a jackpot to be above 25,000 dollars...I heard about someone winning the jackpot for their 5th time but when i saw it was smaller prizes like 1,000 or 5,000 and i dont' consider such jackpots...

"More important than winning the all of the state's lotteries is the movie Red Planet"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19821 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2007, 11:36 am - IP Logged

The West Virgina Cash25 jackpot is $25,000 because the odds of winning it are 1:177,100 which is lower than most state lottery games.  It's the jackpot because it's the top prize and the top prizes of most games or sweepstakes are considered the jackpots regardless of their value.  Only people who are happy to win those size jackpots participate in those games. 

A lot of people are happy to win $500 playing pick3 games, because most states sell more pick3 tickets than any of their other games with bigger prizes.  No pick3 player is expecting to retire on his winnings even if he wins often.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2007, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

The West Virgina Cash25 jackpot is $25,000 because the odds of winning it are 1:177,100 which is lower than most state lottery games.  It's the jackpot because it's the top prize and the top prizes of most games or sweepstakes are considered the jackpots regardless of their value.  Only people who are happy to win those size jackpots participate in those games. 

A lot of people are happy to win $500 playing pick3 games, because most states sell more pick3 tickets than any of their other games with bigger prizes.  No pick3 player is expecting to retire on his winnings even if he wins often.

Yes, the top prize for growth or/fixed prize games is the jackpot.  In my simple mind though when some one says they hit the jackpot I take it to mean greater than $100K no matter what the game.  For eg. lets say tonight I play P4 3294 for $25 straight and it hits, yippee!, even though a $25 str. hit ain't the jackpot for P4 I will say "I HIT THE JACKPOT LAST NIGHT!". $125K is not the top P4 prize but it certainly would feel jackpotty.

When I hit for a couple hundred or couple thousand I say I got a good hit, thats all.

Sun Smiley

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                  West Side of Sunny Florida
                  United States
                  Member #55048
                  September 8, 2007
                  3371 Posts
                  Posted: November 20, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Jackpot for me would be an amount that would pay all my outstanding debts so I'll be debt-free, give me financial independence so I don't have to work if I don't feel like, allow me to travel more, and allow me to share more. Hurray!

>>>>>>>>>>>I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2007, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  The only win I would personally use the term "jackpot" for is one that would change my standard of living.  So I voted for 500,000 - 1,000,000, which is the minimum it would take to make a substantial change in my lifestyle.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2007, 10:05 am - IP Logged

100 million...  The jackpot.... oh yeah

Someone winning $600K after splitting with pool...

Not that much to consider... Especially would be rough if they had to split that..lol

I am starting my 8th PB pool today... That has been really fun... Each pool has either 5 to 10 people in the pool. 

I keep up with the receipts of who paid and which pool they are in.  I make copies of the tickets and the people who are in the pool.

The pool 8 sold out in less than 20 minutes in Florence yesterday.

Of course I have to know everyone who joins. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                        Member #28409
                        December 15, 2005
                        1198 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I agree.  The only win I would personally use the term "jackpot" for is one that would change my standard of living.  So I voted for 500,000 - 1,000,000, which is the minimum it would take to make a substantial change in my lifestyle.

I would have to be honest with everyone, here.  I chose the 50 million to 100 million because I feel "hitting the jackpot" entails never having to worry about bills, shelter, clothing, etc.  Above and beyond the old "getting by" mark.  One million would be great.  And change my life, for a little while.  But I want it to last.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: November 24, 2007, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I think anything above $25,000 is considered a jackpot. Of course $100,000's or a million or more is a big win, but I think many people who've won smaller amounts consider those wins to be jackpots for themselves.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: November 25, 2007, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Any amount that I can retire off of.  That would be at least 2 million.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley