Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Scratchers as gifts

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Scratchers as gifts

Under $20 it doesn't matter [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
Under $25 it doesn't matter [ 1 ]  [6.67%]
$25 - to $50 it's iffy [ 1 ]  [6.67%]
Over $50, give or give me the cash [ 3 ]  [20.00%]
They still had the thrill of going for a prize [ 2 ]  [13.33%]
Other- explain please [ 4 ]  [26.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 15 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10388 Posts
Posted: November 27, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

If you give or get scratchers as gifts, is there a dollar amount where you think the recipient would rather have had the cash, since often there are no winners.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2007, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

There are many people who don't believe in playing the lottery, so you need to make sure you are giving a gift that the recipient wants --  not something you think is a good gift.  Maybe a $20 gift card would be better, although I prefer actual gifts.  Once I got a $20 gift card to Burger King and I'd stop to buy an egg & cheese croissant on the way to work.  It lasted a lot longer than a $20 lottery ticket.  Having said that, if the scratcher were a big winner, I would have been even more excited. (but I love those breakfast sandwiches!)

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8390 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Scratch off tickets prizes are unknown in other words until you scratch it you have no idea if it's a winner or not.

Of course that's the nature of the game and the pursuit of it. While it's true that most scratchers are losers there are winners among them all be it luck might come their way.

I personally wouldn't buy scratch offs as presents unless someone asked for them. Like the 20 dollar ones with big top tier prizes. Or the blackout bingo's so may people like.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I think my mother would enjoy a scratch-off ticket but to be honest, her and my sisters, the rest of my family and friends would probably rather get a gift certificate or something. So I probably wouldn't even bother with getting them scratch-offs.

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2007, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

My gf gave me one a few years ago and it won $500 so obiously they're very well appreciated here! What I like to do is to hang them on the Christmas tree instead of fragile glass ornaments, and when family visits on Christmas they pick little papers rolled up with a picture of the scratch off they get to take off the tree! Last year almost everyone won something.

The only caveat with scracth off as gifts is, is it legal to put one in a card and mail it?

long island
            United States
            Member #40931
            June 8, 2006
            23 Posts
            Posted: December 25, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I have lots of friends and who like getting scratch offs as gifts,as for myself i'd trade in all my gifts for scratchers they're lots of fun to play win or lose. I attach 1 5.00 game to each of my friends gifts,so far there was 1 30.00 winner! The rest haven't gotten there's yet. That same person bought me a card full of scratchers and i won 34.00 very happy and had a ball scratching them all.

good luck to all who play the lottery!

,mike

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2007, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

We went to a dirty Santa party before Christmas.  Hubby wanted to take $20 in scratch offs..  I didn't like it since there was good chance they would walk with only a few free tickets.   I bought the tickets then included a $25 gift certificate to Chili's as  perk.

Sure enough the woman got only two free tickets.  At least they will get to go to Chili's for a lunch.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44