• Raven62
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17,842
    June 28, 2005
    180,983 Posts

From the article:

V. Conclusion

Winning the lottery has the potential of being both a blessing and a curse. Every lottery player needs to consider the ramifications of winning before playing the lottery because the option of electing a lump sum distribution may be foreclosed once the ticket is purchased. Immediately after winning, but before claiming the prize, the lottery winner must decide the most effective way of claiming the prize. After collecting a lump sum payout or beginning to receive yearly distributions, the winner must continue to be alert to possible tax savings strategies. By following the steps outlined in this article, Texas lottery players and winners may increase the likelihood that their fortuity will not trigger unnecessary complications for surviving family members and friends.

It's a long article, but well worth reading for both newcomers and veteran lottery players.

www.professorbeyer.com/Articles/Lottery.htm

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Catch-22: A dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges: When the republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous.

The best way to learn is to never stop being an Experiential Student!

• Ms5PennieGen
    Texas
    United States
    Member #5,816
    July 23, 2004
    4,355 Posts

Quote: Originally posted by Blackie on Nov 30, 2007

Here is the link to a TX article to do with winning the lottery if one ever does.

• www.professorbeyer.com/Articles/Lottery.htm              or this:
  • www.professorbeyer.com
  • Blackie, I just read the article there were some very interesting facts in there! I have a friend who always ask for 26 equal payments, I immediately sent  the article for her to read. Blackie,Thanks for sharing this article with us!Big Smile

Your present situation is not your final destination!
    Good luck...5pennies Dance
  • Uff Da!
    Washington State
    United States
    Member #33,972
    February 26, 2006
    349 Posts

Readers should be aware that the article was written for people in Texas, which is a community property state.  While most of the information likely applies elsewhere as well, not everything will.  Those  playing the lottery in non-community property states, especially, will find a few differences.  It is my understanding that there are only nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.

• chasingadream
    United States
    Member #38,686
    May 3, 2006
    315 Posts

hey thx......this is good info

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

• Blackie
    Norfolk , Va
    United States
    Member #4,541
    May 2, 2004
    31,253 Posts

Thanks for reading and giving your thoughts on it everyone. I thought it was pretty interesting so I posted it.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

• New TopicNew Poll

Page 1 of 1
    Subscribe to this topic