Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:47 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

convicted felons and jackpot winnings

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 9 years ago by EXMECHANIC.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

should a convicted felon be allowed to claim a huge jackpot?

yes they should [ 33 ]  [76.74%]
no they should not [ 3 ]  [6.98%]
not sure [ 7 ]  [16.28%]
Total Valid Votes [ 43 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I put not sure, because I'm not sure what this question covers. If someone is a convicted felon but paid their debt to society then yes they should be free to play.

But if your in prison, or your parole/probation process then no, I think the lottery is for those who can play by the rules of our society.

I Agree! 

But to add to this

What if you buy a lottery ticket and then get convicted of a felony?  You are legally walking around as a free citizen and buy a Raffle ticket.  You commit a crime and go to jail.  6 weeks later you are sitting behind bars and win a million dollars.

What then?

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I think it sometimes depends on the situation.. someone can be convicted of something like their grandchild downloading too many songs vs. someone who axe-murdered 50 people. Money from the jackpot should go to pay legal fees or victims' families or support of children and family of the convicted. In any case as long as the ticket was bought with money that was not involved in a crime then technically a felon should be able to claim no matter what unless the Lottery makes clear rules that felons are ineligible to play once they become felons (and when they've served their sentence they should be allowed to play again).

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
      Member #15309
      May 13, 2005
      307 Posts
      Posted: December 8, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

should a convicted felon be allowed to claim a huge jackpot like hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars?  after should a criminal record make them inelgible?

Sure, why not.  They can claim.  As long as they are 18 years or over, and claim within the required period to claim the prize.  Those are the rules of the game, as I read them. 

That does not mean however, that their winnings cannot be forfeited by someone else.

Sun Smiley             

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
        Houston, Texas
        United States
        Member #56457
        November 19, 2007
        55 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2007, 12:39 am - IP Logged

should a convicted felon be allowed to claim a huge jackpot like hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars?  after should a criminal record make them inelgible?

An offender has paid their price to society for the crime; however heinous, in prison. A person who is on probation is only returning to a "normal" free life style  an is expected to conform to the demands of society's rules, hence the various stipulations. I think once the offender has done the time for the crime it is a mute point, they are now another (hopefully) productive member of society. A lotto win would, IMO, make the offender at a better odds of not returning to a life of crime. A job is a very difficult thing to find for a person with a felony on their record. A winner would be a tax paying, dollar spending consumer such as you or I, so let them keep it! 

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2007, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

If the person is convicted of a crime, paid their time, then they are free to do as the law allows.

BUT

If the person embezzled money because they have a gambling problem, then no, they should not be allowed to play, let alone collect any winnings.

AND

If a person has a monetary judgement against them, then of course the judgement should be collected from the winnings. 

And if you really do think winning the lottery would make the convicted felon less likely return to 'crime', you are mistaken, it's the opposite. They will most likely do things because they think they can afford it; that money can get them out of situations, when in reality money cannot. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I agree with the others. If someone has been convicted of a crime and paid their time, they should be able to purchase a lottery ticket. Until they change the rules of the game where is says a felon can't collect money from winning then why not?

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
              Member #2217
              September 1, 2003
              985 Posts
              Posted: December 9, 2007, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I know that I live in a glass house.  I also know that many times the difference between a felony conviction and a misdemeanor or dismissal of charges is the ability to afford a good attorney.   Yes, there are heinous crimes out there that deserve punishment in kind, just as I know there are good people caught up in bad situations and these same people pay the price of a lifetime for 1 mistake.  I would lay odds some of these very people are members here at LP.

Until the day that convicted felons are prohibited from playing the lottery by law, they should be permitted to participate, play and win, just like everyone else.  Of course, common sense dictates that they will have paid their debt to society and, if they have not, then their winnings are used for that purpose where appropriate.  There are already "blanket" laws involving felons, many of which are being contested - the right to vote, the right to obtain a passport.  Issues surrounding the lottery would open another can of worms, not just for the winner in question but also for the seller of the ticket - selling to a person prohibited would have to be a bad thing too.  I guess, since a lottery ticket is a bearer instrument, the winner might be able to find a way of "finding" or being "gifted" the ticket.   Almost every state that has a lottery now runs a state and federal background check when your ticket and ID are processed for large wins.  First the tax man, then child support, outstanding student loans, liens, etc.  I hear stories all the time of individuals who win who have no idea that on presenting their ticket, their winnings will be minus anything they owe from legal fines to property taxes.   

Another positive attribute of LP is that we discuss these things and ask these questions and take these polls.   Winning the lottery takes, as many here might argue, skill, luck or devine intervention, or all 3.  Claiming your winnings and enjoying that windfall for the rest of your life takes informed decision making, good judgement and self-control.    Doing the right thing would hopefully be right up there with being grateful.  It's all we can really hope for from our fellow players and winners.      

Los Angeles CA
                United States
                Member #55727
                October 16, 2007
                195 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! 

But to add to this

What if you buy a lottery ticket and then get convicted of a felony?  You are legally walking around as a free citizen and buy a Raffle ticket.  You commit a crime and go to jail.  6 weeks later you are sitting behind bars and win a million dollars.

What then?

I'm a bit of a hard ass, but once you committed a crime that has you sitting behind bars, its rough I know, but you don't get the prize. While there a wide array of felonys from something as simple as illegal gun/narcotics possesion to violent crimes or white collar crimes, our system does group them all together. And in the case of the raffle it should go to the back-up winner or what ever rules were in place incase of an invalid winner.

But if your in jail, awaiting a hearing or something where you have yet to be convicted of anything, then they should be allowed to collect. 

EXMECHANIC

"My dollar buys hope, what does yours do?"