Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do new games cannibalize other games?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by chasingadream.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2007, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Nobody hit the Florida Lotto on Saturday and it rolled over, but only to $13 million.  I was thinking that perhaps some people decided to spend $20 on the latest Raffle game for the million dollar drawing.

When new games are introduced, do you think most people stick to a budget, or do they just spend more money to try the new ones? 

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Nobody hit the Florida Lotto on Saturday and it rolled over, but only to $13 million.  I was thinking that perhaps some people decided to spend $20 on the latest Raffle game for the million dollar drawing.

When new games are introduced, do you think most people stick to a budget, or do they just spend more money to try the new ones? 

That's great question should be a poll.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2007, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Depending on the game, cannibalization can actually be quite severe. Take for example whenever a larger state joins a multi-state game. The in-state game almost always takes a severe decline in sales, in some cases prompting the state to replace it with a niche game.

(insert signature here)

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I think a great many lottery players are budget gamblers.

They play the new game they will probably cut back on the other games.

Unless you are a die hard pick  3 player. Big Grin 
        You would have to just about break my arm for me to spend more than $2.00 on powerball quick picks.LOL

MAGA

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10354 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2007, 1:03 am - IP Logged

New games indeed cannabalize other games - like what Wal Mart does to small businesses but oin a lotto sense.

As for players, there's defintiely "Budget players" and those who are definitley not "budget players".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2007, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I think it does happen, but it only lasts for a short time. New games are exciting for people to play, but I think after awhile, it goes back to how it was before or at least to an extent of what it was like before. I tend to be a budget player, but when a new game comes along, I like to try it out. I usually only play Powerball and Wild Card 2, but recently we got Hot Lotto and a Raffle game and I've added those to my "budget". Although, the raffle will only be for a limited time.

derek7's avatar - speedykat
              IL
              United States
              Member #34578
              March 4, 2006
              198 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2007, 12:19 am - IP Logged

I think they do. Cool games for sure. I mean something exciting like raffle.

If regular game was introduced, it would cannibalize older games for first few weeks/months I guess.

/Derek

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                Member #38687
                May 3, 2006
                315 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2007, 2:05 am - IP Logged

spend more to try the new ones........................

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot