Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

foreign winners

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Russian Federation
Member #56816
December 4, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone know about any foregner who wins big in MegaMillions or Powerball lottery? Links and related info are very welcome. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19816 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2007, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

There was a story in the LP news section a couple of years ago about a person from Mexico winning the MegaMillions jackpot in Texas.  He claimed his prize using a trust.  You can probably find the story by during a search of all the LP news articles.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2007, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree with RJOh.  It's the best way to find information.  I can tell you that there have been a couple of big winners in Florida (not PB or MM) from other countries.  I remember when one couple was on vacation from Germany & won millions and a man from Central America (can't remember the exact country) won a lot of money earlier this year, like $40 million.

There are no laws that prevent anyone from buying a ticket and collecting the prize money as long as they are of legal age and are in the United States legally. You don't need to be a citizen or even have a visa/green card as long as you have a passport and entered legally.  You also have to purchase the ticket according the the laws of the games.  If you notice the key word here is "legal" and "law."  I am not sure why you are asking, and apologize if you take what I just wrote the wrong way, but I thought maybe that's what you wanted to know.

Russian Federation
        Member #56816
        December 4, 2007
        3 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2007, 12:19 am - IP Logged

you're right - this is exactly what I want to know. A story about foregn winner. And the simpliest way is to do a search, but... A google search for "foreign winners" etc returns nothing I need. I haven't found the way to make search engine understand the question. That's why I'm posting here.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
          nashville
          United States
          Member #49896
          February 18, 2007
          1181 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

you're right - this is exactly what I want to know. A story about foregn winner. And the simpliest way is to do a search, but... A google search for "foreign winners" etc returns nothing I need. I haven't found the way to make search engine understand the question. That's why I'm posting here.

this website has its  own search engine where you can find articles and blogs on the subject you want to research. it is not the same as google it is just for things on lotterypost. look under "resources" or "forums" and you will see "search"

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2007, 3:28 am - IP Logged

A google search can be mostly limited to things related to the lottery with just one word, and will return results from far more than one forum. The problem is how to limit the results to somebody winning a lottery from a country they aren't a resident or citizen of. A search engine has lots of accurate information available, but can't think about the question. That can sometimes make it very challenging to find the results you're looking for. Asking real people seems like a pretty good strategy to me.

Russian Federation
              Member #56816
              December 4, 2007
              3 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2007, 3:47 am - IP Logged

A google search can be mostly limited to things related to the lottery with just one word, and will return results from far more than one forum. The problem is how to limit the results to somebody winning a lottery from a country they aren't a resident or citizen of. A search engine has lots of accurate information available, but can't think about the question. That can sometimes make it very challenging to find the results you're looking for. Asking real people seems like a pretty good strategy to me.

that's why I ask here. It's nearly impossible to narrow the search to "non-resident winners"

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I am most certain that people from other countries have won the big jackpots. Now whether they were just working here or seeking citizen ship i don't know. A cab driver from New York who was from EL Salvador i think. And there may have been a few more people .

You will only find this in formation by looking in the news section on lottery post. you might have to check back a few years worth of posts.