Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto ticket unclaimed in bedside drawer since July

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #55281
September 22, 2007
13 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

A winning Lotto ticket worth $1.9 million sat unclaimed in a 62-year-old Sydney man's bedside drawer for almost five months before he checked it last Saturday morning.

The unregistered entry had won $1,909,090.91 in the $21 million Lotto Superdraw on 21 July 2007.

There have been so many times over the last few months that I have been at work and thought, I wish I could stop, the print industry worker from the Eastern Sydney suburb of Kensington told NSW Lotteries officials when he claimed the prize this morning. 

It's a very physical job and I get home late at night just exhausted, sometimes not till one in the morning. 

If I known there was a million dollars lying right next to my bed I probably still would have stayed on till Christmas to help out, but it would have been a such a relief knowing I didn't have to keep working so hard, he said.

The winner said he decided to check his tickets after letting about twenty or thirty tickets accumulate in his bedside drawer.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: December 10, 2007, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Well at least he checked his ticket in time to get his prize.

United Kingdom
      Member #31295
      January 27, 2006
      73 Posts
      Posted: December 10, 2007, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I never understand the purpose of these "I forgot to check my lottery ticket" stories.

Australia
        Member #55281
        September 22, 2007
        13 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2007, 3:17 am - IP Logged

Here in NSW, lottery players have the option to register. Registered players get a players card to use when buying tickets. Prizes won by registered players are mailed to the player, if they have not claimed them at agents; for larger prizes the lottery calls the players. Lottery numbers can also be stored on players cards.

nanolike's avatar - pink2
          WorldWide
          United States
          Member #55215
          September 18, 2007
          76 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2007, 4:20 am - IP Logged

Once when I got really deep involved in the lottery i had $30 tickets and $6 dollar tickets and  abunch of $3 tickets all over the house. But 1.9 ok thats a a bit much to have lying around the house.

He got it though.

Reminds me of the guy who mailed in his ticket some years ago and the court had to decide if he got it there in time. And he got to claim the money because it was postmarked before the 12 midnight hour the last night the ticket expired,  they said he had a right to the money and won!

It's a NanoLike World!

Australia
            Member #55281
            September 22, 2007
            13 Posts
            Posted: December 13, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

When he presented his ticket for checking he was transferred by telephone to a NSW Lotteries operator to confirm the size of his windfall.

“I heard the lady say ‘one million, nine hundred’ and I didn’t hear the rest of the amount. Tears came to my eyes and I started shaking,” he said

The winner described himself as an extremely frugal person who would not be splurging his money this Christmas.

“I’ve been paying debts from a failed business venture for the last seven years, so I’ve been living on nothing basically,” he said.

“I’ve just bought a new clipper because I do my own haircutting. I dropped the last one and I had to spend $30 on another one as an early Christmas present to myself.

“The only splurging I’ll do will be a trip to London for Christmas, and maybe a new car when I came back home. I’ll buy a small car, as I don’t need a real big car.

“I’m also looking at an apartment to buy and live in. I might even buy where I rent now.

“I’ve been fretting for my future. I’m 62, I rent, and I’ve got $17,000 in Super and $6,000 in my savings account. I thought, ‘I’ll have to keep working until I drop dead’.

“I don’t have to worry about anything now, I just don’t. I only have to worry about making the money last.”

The winning ticket was purchased at Pigott’s Newsagency, 163-165 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst.

NSW Lotteries is urging players to register their entries in the upcoming $30 million Superdraw draw on 29 December.

“This winner’s story had a happy ending, but as an unregistered player it was quite possible he would have thrown away his ticket and never known he was throwing away millions, let alone the thousands in interest already forgone”, NSW Lotteries Communications Manager John Vineburg said today.

“We strongly recommend that unregistered players spend a little extra to register their entries. For just $3.30, players can protect their prizes with Players Club for a year,” he added.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: December 14, 2007, 11:00 am - IP Logged

"I’ve got $17,000 in Super . . ."

Anyone know what Super is?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States