Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What ultimate gift?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Jack Pot.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

What gift would you buy for someone if you won a huge jackpot in time for Christmas?

a car [ 3 ]  [13.04%]
a house [ 5 ]  [21.74%]
a vacation [ 2 ]  [8.70%]
donate to a charity [ 1 ]  [4.35%]
cash [ 8 ]  [34.78%]
other(explain) [ 4 ]  [17.39%]
Total Valid Votes [ 23 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
angelm's avatar - anne
richmond ky.
United States
Member #15877
May 22, 2005
8472 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I would buy my mother a new houseSmiley Santa

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2007, 10:34 am - IP Logged

All the above would have been a good option.

takeemtothebank

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2007, 11:45 am - IP Logged

I don't know. The question is kind of vague. There are a few people who I would give gifts to. It also depends on how much I won. If I won a jackpot over 5 or 6 million, I would definitley buy my mom a car and a new house and I would probably give my 3 sisters each a bit of cash. Other then that, I'm not sure that I would start giving big gifts like vehicles and such out to anyone else.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't know either.

Jackpot winners who have appeared on documentaries have said that every person they gave cash to came back asking for more, bar none.

A lady that appeared on Millionaire Christmas (re-airing Dec 16th on Discovery) said that the more you do for people the more they want you to do.

I'm not saying don't do anything along these lines, just be very careful.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2007, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't know either.

Jackpot winners who have appeared on documentaries have said that every person they gave cash to came back asking for more, bar none.

A lady that appeared on Millionaire Christmas (re-airing Dec 16th on Discovery) said that the more you do for people the more they want you to do.

I'm not saying don't do anything along these lines, just be very careful.

I Agree!

First of all, to me a gift is something the recipient really wants/needs. That's why cash is often the best choice, as long as the people don't blow it and expect more, but they might if you are now a multi-millionaire.  I'd also want to make sure that doing a good deed didn't come back to haunt me.

So I'd have to ask myself "Will there be any consequences or repercussions?"  In other words, if I gave one person a home, would I be bombarded by calls from a 100 others?  Will I be resented by people once they find out I won?

Until I win a large jackpot, I won't worry about this, but I'd like to support and be active in running a no-kill animal shelter.  Maybe I can also combine this with a program for children.  So I guess charity is the best choice, although I checked cash. 

As I said, it's silly to plan, but that's what we do anyway on LP, so I've asked a few people to be serious and tell me what they'd want. They don't buy lottery tickets so of course they think I'm crazy for asking.  I didn't like some of the answers, so I don't know what I'd do.  When I said to one person "I'd give you $12,000 every year, and pay all your health insurance premiums and medical bills her response was "that's it?" 

I have to say this, although you'll all think I'm nuts.  When I saw your poll and it said "Ultimate gift?" I first thought of a kidney.  I mean, when I hear that someone donated bone marrow or part of her liver to someone, I always think "I wish I were that selfless."

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Buy them $100.00 in quick picks for the next draw and wish them good luck.Green laugh

MAGA

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2659 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Buy them $100.00 in quick picks for the next draw and wish them good luck.Green laugh

I Agree! 'cept for I'd probably spend about $50.00  and wish them all the rotten luck in the world Green laugh

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2007, 7:42 am - IP Logged

I chose vacation.  I would take my mom with me on vacation.. She wouldn't want a car nor would she want to move...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                  Nova Scotia
                  Canada
                  Member #9934
                  December 27, 2004
                  884 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2007, 9:15 am - IP Logged

I definitely need a vacation. I'm stressed out looking for a job. So I'd want to get away if I won, far away..

And pay off all my bills, I'd be so happy. And I would buy a house. I would love to do that. Hopefully not too far off in the future..Mail For You

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2007, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I definitely need a vacation. I'm stressed out looking for a job. So I'd want to get away if I won, far away..

And pay off all my bills, I'd be so happy. And I would buy a house. I would love to do that. Hopefully not too far off in the future..Mail For You

I hope you find a job soon, Elizabeth.  I can't say about where you live, but many jobs around here pay so little that a lot of people can't afford to live alone any more.  Sometimes 2 families live in a house or even 3.  What many companies are doing is hiring people as independent contractors to save money on taxes.  Then they only offer 15 to 20 hours to 3 or 4 people instead of hiring 1 or 2. That way there are no benefits to pay and they won't make enough to qualify for unemployment if they decide to fire them.  However, when so many people are out of work, they also know there will be a line outside the day after they put the ad in the paper.  Good luck.  Maybe you'll get a job for Christmas! 

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                      West Side of Sunny Florida
                      United States
                      Member #55048
                      September 8, 2007
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2007, 6:19 am - IP Logged

I think 'giving' gifts is the wrong way to look at helping.  I think one of the way to help others is to 'create' jobs by investing in your local community.  You can either start your own business, or maybe invest in one that is already up and running but needs help.  You also can do this in any way you want, promoting what you believe in.  In my area we are just starting to get all kinds of 'green' projects started. 

You see once you 'create' more jobs in your area, EVERYONE wins.  What if all of a sudden ELizabeth03 got a call from a couple of places that she had applied saying 'Thanks to the expansion of XYZ company we now need you'  and she had her pick of where to work? How much happier are the people/family you know when they have a good job that they like.

Look at any of the major cities that have exploded since the 90's and you will see what I mean.   Or look at the ones that have not, which I have several of those in every direction from where I live.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                        Member #55246
                        September 20, 2007
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2007, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I think 'giving' gifts is the wrong way to look at helping.  I think one of the way to help others is to 'create' jobs by investing in your local community.  You can either start your own business, or maybe invest in one that is already up and running but needs help.  You also can do this in any way you want, promoting what you believe in.  In my area we are just starting to get all kinds of 'green' projects started. 

You see once you 'create' more jobs in your area, EVERYONE wins.  What if all of a sudden ELizabeth03 got a call from a couple of places that she had applied saying 'Thanks to the expansion of XYZ company we now need you'  and she had her pick of where to work? How much happier are the people/family you know when they have a good job that they like.

Look at any of the major cities that have exploded since the 90's and you will see what I mean.   Or look at the ones that have not, which I have several of those in every direction from where I live.

I Agree! But if I give gifts- I would give cash. I would have to be creative on how to give it anonymously though, because I am not telling anyone I won. I think I won't change as my ways are set- but I am not sure about the extended family and friends, maybe many of them will change if they knew I am now "filthy" rich, so I am not taking the risk. I am going to spread my giving abroad- I will continue supporting the organizations I am presently supporting, but this time it will be in a BIG way. I will pray for God's guidance. Gifts should be a blessing and not a curse.

edited to add:

PS- Oh, you were asking about what ultimate Christmas gifts to give... the same things I plan on giving had I not won. I won't blow my cover by giving expensive gifts or big cash gifts this Christmas.