Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 9:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

need some advice-antivirus

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

i know i've asked this before and i'm sorry i never did do it because i was very busy and now i'm paying the price.i need to know a good free antivirus and spyware i can put on my computer.i think i'm being hacked and maybe more but not sure yet.i would really appreciate some advice on the best free antivirus and spyware.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8391 Posts
    Posted: December 13, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Aren't you on AOL. if you are they have free McAfee http://safety.aol.com/isc/index.adp? and aol has it's own spy-ware program.

United States
      Member #41846
      June 23, 2006
      460 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

avg has good anti virus.  Adaware has a good spyware.   the off button is the best firewall when not using your computer. 

p8 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2007, 4:34 am - IP Logged

avg has good anti virus.  Adaware has a good spyware.   the off button is the best firewall when not using your computer. 

p8 

I Agree!

Sometimes I goof and stay online even when I'm out for hours.  It's always wise to close your browser or shutdown, although I usually just use hibernate which is automatic when my laptop closes. 

I also have been using AVG for a years, but it's only for virus protection.  I run Microsoft's Window Defender anti-spyware, which is free.  I use the Firewall that came with XP, SP2. 

If you think someone has infected your computer, you might want to download & run HijackThis.  Does it seem as if someone has taken control of your browser? Is your homepage different?  But if you aren't good at reading the report, you really need to print it out and send it to someone with experience.  Maybe Todd can help you. 

I used to have McAfee and I had Norton Internet Security too. They slow down your system and I personally found them annoying, especially McAfee so I didn't renew my subscription.

I'm not sure, but Microsoft probably has OneCare for Vista now.   It used to be free.  Even if it isn't, MS will let you run a free scan and download a 90 day trial.

colthmn's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
          Inglewood
          United States
          Member #41769
          June 22, 2006
          122 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2007, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Lottomike, justxploring is absolutely right!!! I was hijacked about a year ago, and fumbled with trying to extricate a series of viruses and the perpetrator taunting me and threatening to take over my computer completely. So, I went to the microsoft site One care which at the time was free as justxploring says, and within 45 minutes Mr. Wang was assigned to me to walk me thru the steps using the Techie site Hijackthis!!  Not only was I impressed with their response time, but the ease in  clearing the system. I can't express the feeling of relief after having been taunted for a week, and then to be freed within an hour. Well I don't know whether its still a free service or not anymore, but I don't use it only because Norton security came with my purchase! Sir, I would say, give one care a shot at it!!! 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23346 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2007, 10:34 am - IP Logged

i know i've asked this before and i'm sorry i never did do it because i was very busy and now i'm paying the price.i need to know a good free antivirus and spyware i can put on my computer.i think i'm being hacked and maybe more but not sure yet.i would really appreciate some advice on the best free antivirus and spyware.

Do a Google search on Avast.  That's the best free one, IMHO.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
              Fughedaboutit (NY)
              United States
              Member #8160
              October 26, 2004
              6777 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2007, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I hope that you get rid of the Red Devil on your computer. Everyone here gave excellent advice. It would help you  tremendously if you would block intrusions at every point possible that is available to you.

You didn't mention how you access the internet. If you access it through a wireless connection and your router has Internet security built in, that is another access point that you can utilize to block out intruders. Some routers let you limit network access to PC's with specific MAC addresses (wireless card ID). If the PC MAC address is not on the list, then it can't gain access to the network. Some routers also limit access by utilizing encrypted security keys (WEP) to access the network. If you don't have the password, then you can't gain access to the network.

Though no method used to block out intruders is 100% effective, the key is to employ various strategies by blocking intruders at the front and back doors and have a measure in place should they be able to get through those doors. A good secure router combined with good software (virus protection and spyware protection) along with safe surfing is about the best that you can do.

Check out Zone Alarm too (it's free).

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23346 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I'd agree with the ZoneAlarm comment.  It's the best free firewall out there.  They keep making the free download links harder to find, but it's worth tracking them down.

LottoChica23, the one thing I wanted to mention about the MAC address thing and the router topic is that those measures are for keeping hackers out of your computer/network, but they don't have a measurable impact on viruses, because most viruses arrive through e-mail or by clicking on a download link.  Those things are happily passed along by your router.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
                  Fughedaboutit (NY)
                  United States
                  Member #8160
                  October 26, 2004
                  6777 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I'd agree with the ZoneAlarm comment.  It's the best free firewall out there.  They keep making the free download links harder to find, but it's worth tracking them down.

LottoChica23, the one thing I wanted to mention about the MAC address thing and the router topic is that those measures are for keeping hackers out of your computer/network, but they don't have a measurable impact on viruses, because most viruses arrive through e-mail or by clicking on a download link.  Those things are happily passed along by your router.

I realize that about the MAC address Todd, which is why I said that router security measures along with software measures and safe surfing make a good combination.

If a hacker could get into your computer/network, he or she Smiley could deposit malicious software (trojan, virus) onto your computer or obtain information  on your computer without your knowledge. Then you may have a virus or some other issue to deal with. If such router security ability exists, one would want to lock out intruders via MAC address for this reason. You don't want to make it easy for them to get in by not employing something to keep them out in the first place. 

Stop them at the door and wait for them if they gain entry...Hit With Stick

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

lumberton, nj
                    United States
                    Member #56152
                    November 5, 2007
                    4 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2007, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

If i can just add my two cents. I got called to clean out a friends computer about three days ago and found adaware and hijackthis to be extremely helpful but i always use those tools. CWShredder is another one. I ran across one particular hack called Purityscan that poses as a security or virus protection suite that i couldnt remove yet(i get frustrated easy lol) and it kept seeding itself in the machine after every wipe. So yes Hijackthis is still a free service and there are sites out there that analyze the Hijackthis logfile for free if you cant readily identify the malware easily.

And oh yeah! Also once you run the log file just chart the results by writing down a couple of the files that are being identified as nasty or ready to be deleted or you know don't belong. Some of the nastier trojans and worms i found on that last pc i tried cleaning i found specific programs designed to quarantine or remove online through googleThumbs Up

Good luck!

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23346 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

I realize that about the MAC address Todd, which is why I said that router security measures along with software measures and safe surfing make a good combination.

If a hacker could get into your computer/network, he or she Smiley could deposit malicious software (trojan, virus) onto your computer or obtain information  on your computer without your knowledge. Then you may have a virus or some other issue to deal with. If such router security ability exists, one would want to lock out intruders via MAC address for this reason. You don't want to make it easy for them to get in by not employing something to keep them out in the first place. 

Stop them at the door and wait for them if they gain entry...Hit With Stick

Not trying to minimize the importance of a secure network.  But it's just that the chances of getting a hacker in your network are miniscule next to the chances of getting infected via e-mail or download link.  Even a basic router with no extra settings is secure enough for most people.  Anyone who wants to strengthen their security with MAC address filtering, etc., is certainly not doing any harm.