Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Looking to force screen updating in Excel

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 9 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

When I'm running code, if I switch to some other task (surfing, writing, whatever), sometimes excel will turn off screen updating (that's where you can see the macro progress as it changes cell contents). That means that the spreadsheet is "frozen" until the macro completes.

I don't see in any of the menu options where it can be "forced" on. Maybe I missed it? I have even set up a loop to periodically set screen updating equal to TRUE, but this has not helped. 

Anyone else run into this? I want to be able to peep in on the progress, as it runs.

(Yes, I know it runs faster with screen updating = FALSE.)

(Maybe this should be called the Math & Coding ForumCool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2008, 2:40 am - IP Logged

So far, I'm finding that the scroll command sometimes breaks this up... still working on it.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2008, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I hope someone provides an answer to this question.  I, too, run VBA and my screen freezes.  I can surf the net, play solitaire, ect., but I cannot return to my Excel spreadsheet to check on the progress of my program. 

Currently the only way I know to exit a running VBA program is to hit the ESC button.  But that halts all execution and returns to the beginning.   I have tried SCREENUPDATE = TRUE but that did not work.