Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Note Pad Help

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by johnph77.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
sask.
Canada
Member #2713
November 6, 2003
35 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2007, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I Have a program that requires its histories for each State to be in Note Pad in a the following format YYYY-MM-DD AMorPM DRAW number.I can go to a Web site retreive 120 days worth of history for the State I require,cut and paste them into notepad then I have to insert the AM or PM, move draw no's over for the correct spacing manually which takes a long time.Is there a program out there that I can get where I can paste the histories into,set up the correct format have it do the work and then I could paste the correct format into notepad? Help Pleeeease.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2007, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Any decent spreadsheet program (excel, calc) should let you do this, then save the results as a txt file.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
      CA
      United States
      Member #2987
      December 10, 2003
      832 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2007, 4:09 am - IP Logged

Not sure what program you're using or what the required file format would be - it depends on the necessary file extension, of which there are many - .txt (text file), .rtf (Rich Text Format), .dif (Data Interchange Format), and more. As time*treat pointed out, most spreadsheets can save data in a ".txt" file but the caveat here is that if some of the data contains decimals of varying length the columns can be raggedly spaced.

BTW, WordPad is just as capable as NotePad in this respect and can handle much larger files.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

sask.
        Canada
        Member #2713
        November 6, 2003
        35 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2007, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Not sure what program you're using or what the required file format would be - it depends on the necessary file extension, of which there are many - .txt (text file), .rtf (Rich Text Format), .dif (Data Interchange Format), and more. As time*treat pointed out, most spreadsheets can save data in a ".txt" file but the caveat here is that if some of the data contains decimals of varying length the columns can be raggedly spaced.

BTW, WordPad is just as capable as NotePad in this respect and can handle much larger files.

gl

j

I'm Using DH one up one down program,it wants its P3 histories in Note pad in the following format YYYY-MM-DD AMorPM DRawn number,I can get histories and drop them into notepad but I have to correct the spacing and insert the AM or PM.I'm working with an Excel spreedsheet but can't seem to get it to  transfer into the DH one up one down data file where I've got the notepad .dat file identified and waiting?getting an error message,when I try to transfer to it?I played myself out last nite working with-it.Thanks for the reply's.

United States
          Member #41846
          June 23, 2006
          459 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

hcrude14

I assume you are saving the excel file as a text file. excel will add .txt to the file name. From your post your program is looking for a .dat  file extension.   once the excel file is stored use windows explorer or other means you'r comfortable with, to find the file then rename with the .dat file extension. hope this helps

p8 

johnph77's avatar - avatar
            CA
            United States
            Member #2987
            December 10, 2003
            832 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2007, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

hcrude14

I assume you are saving the excel file as a text file. excel will add .txt to the file name. From your post your program is looking for a .dat  file extension.   once the excel file is stored use windows explorer or other means you'r comfortable with, to find the file then rename with the .dat file extension. hope this helps

p8 

You can actually do this through "My Computer". Right-click on the filename, change the extension from ".txt" to ".dat", and click "OK" when the warning shows up. I'm rather uncomfortable with this and always save the file to a different name for backup purposes before using this function.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=