Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Randomeness vs predictability

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Lotterologist.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which is stronger?

The randomness of predictability [ 1 ]  [7.14%]
The predictability of randomness [ 6 ]  [42.86%]
They're equal [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is random, right? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This was predictable [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Random shmandon [ 1 ]  [7.14%]
It's a coin toss! [ 4 ]  [28.57%]
Other - explain [ 2 ]  [14.29%]
Total Valid Votes [ 14 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: December 22, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Which do you think is greater, stronger, more valid, or do you?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8395 Posts
    Posted: December 22, 2007, 1:48 am - IP Logged
    randomness is the action by which the balls are drawn.
    predictability is ones ability to predict the draw.
    Since no one knows before the draw which numbers will come out, it's a lucky guess if they get em all right. Or perhaps they play the same numbers all the time. Or they used software, paper and pencil and any numbers of tricks or tips.
      Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
      Lotto City, Michigan
      United States
      Member #36256
      March 30, 2006
      1472 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2007, 7:30 am - IP Logged

I would say that the predictability of randomness is stronger than the randomness of predictability, because the predictability of randomness implies the existance of a Being to predict the randomness. For example, the bible says that in the beginning, there was God and His WORD, therefore, the predictability of randomness is stronger, because in order to make a prediction, a Being must be there to do that. 

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2007, 4:19 pm - IP Logged
        randomness is the action by which the balls are drawn.
        predictability is ones ability to predict the draw.
        Since no one knows before the draw which numbers will come out, it's a lucky guess if they get em all right. Or perhaps they play the same numbers all the time. Or they used software, paper and pencil and any numbers of tricks or tips.

The action of the draw gives each numbered ball a fair and equal chance of being drawn and the chance depends on how many numbered balls are used. In pick-3 games there are three draws and in each draw we have 1 chance in 10 of guessing which ball will be drawn.

The results are always one 3 digit number from 000 to 999 and if we look at each drawing as a new event, we always have the same 1 in 1000 chance of guessing correctly. But even if look at it as a new drawing, there are still mathematical probabilities where the outcome is predictable. There is always a 50/50 chance the number will be high and always the same 50/50 chance it will be odd.

We can use past results, look for patterns, and mathematical 50/50 probabilities to help us make our guesses. I don't believe there is a holy grail, code, or super computer that can always predict the results but there is predictability in random pick-3 drawings.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: December 23, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Whichever wins.  The FL lottery rolled from $3M all the way to $47M and last night 2 people split the jackpot.  One player bought a QP and the other used his/her own numbers.

I said on another post that the numbers were 5 even and 1 odd and 4 out of 6 were 32 or higher.  I looked at all the previous drawings and I see no pattern whatsoever except someone thought of 6 numbers and got lucky.  Maybe they were ages, his street number, his license number or he threw some balls into a pillowcase and picked out 6 numbers.  The other player with the QP was just at the right place at the right time and bought a ticket.  A few minutes later, and someone else would have been the lucky winner.  Maybe he pumped gas or poured a cup of coffee before going up to the counter or another customer would have gotten that ticket.

I do agree with Stack, however, that over time one can predict the outcome more often with a pick-3 game (even pick-4) than the jackpot games with very high odds.  Still, there are no magic codes.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
            Lotto City, Michigan
            United States
            Member #36256
            March 30, 2006
            1472 Posts
            Posted: December 23, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

Predicting the lottery and quantum mechanics both involve counterintuitivity.  Conehead 

Key digits are 6, 7, 9.