Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Christmas and Lottery

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bashley572.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
New York, NY
United States
Member #39471
May 16, 2006
2698 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2007, 8:05 am - IP Logged

I did not realize that so many states still conducted lottery drawings on Christmas. More curious than that I notice that several Bible-belt states and bastions of fundamentalist fervor are the ones operating lotteries on Christmas Day while those liberal states like NY, NJ closed shop in respect of that Holy memorial.

Just an observation.

$$$

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2007, 9:48 am - IP Logged

I did not realize that so many states still conducted lottery drawings on Christmas. More curious than that I notice that several Bible-belt states and bastions of fundamentalist fervor are the ones operating lotteries on Christmas Day while those liberal states like NY, NJ closed shop in respect of that Holy memorial.

Just an observation.

Interesting point, Fibonacci.

I'm wondering if it's because of the Holy memorial, or just giving state workers the day off.

Some of those Bible-belt states are really weak on labor laws (worker's rights). When the plantation owners lost their slave labor they weren't about to give it all up and treat and pay the help decently, and some of that hasn't really changed.

So I guess they had the paradox of observing Christmas (having a drawing or not) or making the $$$$$$$$$$.

Of course, even in the states that didn't have drawings, a lot of players were probably chomping at the bit and going through withdrawls.

Sticky wicket, that.

PS

I can't say "Bible-belt" witth a stright face after having lived in it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2007, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Christmas is not a holy memorial.  Jesus rose from the dead.  He lives today and will return.

Orangeman

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7344 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Just an observation.

When the Ohio Lottery started Sunday drawings in May 2007 I wondered if they would have an Easter and Christmas Day drawing. And yesterday was the first time they ever held one.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8395 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2007, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Once lotteries have made up their minds to hold drawings 7 days a week including holidays they are committed to doing so. But how do you know for sure they didn't conduct the drawing at an earlier time like the day before.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2007, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

We all have a right to our personal beliefs based on our upbringing, convictions and traditions. However, there is nothing in the Bible about Dec 25 being the day of Christ's birth or as a day of special religious celebration. I know many devout Christians who do not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday and many who do.  Still, no matter what someone's personal beliefs are, the lottery is run by the state and in this country we are supposed to have separation of state and religion. 

We all have a choice.  If we feel offended by gambling on what we consider to be a special day, including every Sunday, then we don't have to buy tickets.  Some people hold the Sabbath on Saturday.  It is their choice not to buy tickets on that day as well. One thing I do find hypocritical, however, is that someone who will not buy a ticket on Easter, Christmas or another holiday for religious reasons will still collect a big prize for a drawing on that day. If the day of the drawing is a Holy Day, why would it matter when you bought the ticket?   

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
              West Side of Sunny Florida
              United States
              Member #55048
              September 8, 2007
              3371 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2007, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

"Of course, even in the states that didn't have drawings, a lot of players were probably chomping at the bit and going through withdrawls.

I was sick all day with out being able to play yesterday, and then having to watch those shows on other lottery winners!!!!

Crazy

Money won is twice as good as money earned!