Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which charity would you support?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by colthmn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2007, 3:37 am - IP Logged

Barron Hilton, chairman of the foundation, intends "to contribute 97 per cent of his entire net worth, estimated today at $US2.3 billion, including the created trusts, at whatever value it is at the time of his passing," the foundation said.

Good on ya, Barron!

If you had billions, which charity would you support?

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
    Australia
    Member #57242
    December 24, 2007
    1102 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2007, 3:41 am - IP Logged

If I has billions, I would set-up a Medical Aid Endowment. I would put one billion into the endowment, and any  interest earned would be used to assist people waiting for medical care. The general public would be encouraged to donate to the endowment.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2007, 3:49 am - IP Logged

I think this is a very personal question.  There are many great charities for both people and animals that need our support and you don't need to be wealthy to help a little.  Having billions just means you can do so much more. 

From an article about the Hilton foundation:

More than 50 percent of the money funds international initiatives such as sanitation and water systems in developing countries; housing for mentally ill homeless people and homeless mothers and children in the United States; blindness prevention; and drug-abuse prevention among young people.

Anything that helps to relieve the suffering of humans (especially children) and animals is a good cause.  Some people don't get even the basics like food, shelter, clean water or medical care.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2007, 4:11 am - IP Logged

st. jude here in memphis....

back when my grandmother was still alive i had some cousins i had never seen and they asked me to go see a relative with them who was sick.well we ended up at st. jude and when i went to see this relative it really broke my heart.i've blocked a lot of that out of my mind for some reason but it made me really sad to see all those young children there who had cancer.this relative was only ten or eleven but it was really hard on me and i'm not a person who tears up easily.but i would definitley donate to st. jude and all the children there.that would be one charity that definitely deserves the donation.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2007, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

The Pacattack relief from labor fund. Don't worry, 100% of the donations go straight to the cause.

Guitar

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
            United States
            Member #4924
            June 3, 2004
            5913 Posts
            Posted: December 27, 2007, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

st. jude here in memphis....

back when my grandmother was still alive i had some cousins i had never seen and they asked me to go see a relative with them who was sick.well we ended up at st. jude and when i went to see this relative it really broke my heart.i've blocked a lot of that out of my mind for some reason but it made me really sad to see all those young children there who had cancer.this relative was only ten or eleven but it was really hard on me and i'm not a person who tears up easily.but i would definitley donate to st. jude and all the children there.that would be one charity that definitely deserves the donation.

That is a very, very good charity. I make a donation to them every year. I love the way they specialize in children. There are many more worth while charities.  

United States
              Member #50502
              March 7, 2007
              7 Posts
              Posted: December 27, 2007, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Anything dealing with kids like make-a-wish, victory junction gang camp, and other childrens hospitals.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: December 27, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Anything dealing with kids like make-a-wish, victory junction gang camp, and other childrens hospitals.

Although this is off-topic, I just thought if it when I read this post.  Many of us travel by air for one reason or another and get frequent flyer miles that we'll never use.  You can usually donate your miles to Make-A-Wish and Children's Miracle Network.  Just something I thought I'd mention, because some people who fly once in a while told me they never knew they could donate their miles.  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10355 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2007, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Here's a listing of top rated chairites:

http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html 

The mission categories below list charities which get high grades from AIP for putting    75% or more towards program cost while generally spending $25 or less to raise $100. These groups also receive an “open book” credit from AIP for willingly sending the the financial documents we request.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I would continue to give to the "children's charity"  and helping those with disfigured faces

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                      Beautiful Florida
                      United States
                      Member #5709
                      July 18, 2004
                      20126 Posts
                      Posted: December 27, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

St.Judes and the american humane society......!!!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
                        Winnipeg
                        Canada
                        Member #14974
                        May 7, 2005
                        3650 Posts
                        Posted: December 27, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

none. i give my money to people in poor countries. too much goes to bureaucracy, very little gets into the hands that need it.

angelm's avatar - anne
                          richmond ky.
                          United States
                          Member #15877
                          May 22, 2005
                          8472 Posts
                          Posted: December 29, 2007, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Neglected and abused children

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: December 29, 2007, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

none. i give my money to people in poor countries. too much goes to bureaucracy, very little gets into the hands that need it.

Manage how they spend what you donate.

If you want to help children receive surgery for disfigured faces, or have braces/dental work.. Find a dentist/surgeon and pay them... Keep the money going to the cause.

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: December 29, 2007, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Although this is off-topic, I just thought if it when I read this post.  Many of us travel by air for one reason or another and get frequent flyer miles that we'll never use.  You can usually donate your miles to Make-A-Wish and Children's Miracle Network.  Just something I thought I'd mention, because some people who fly once in a while told me they never knew they could donate their miles.  

that is interesting to know.. Thanks for sharing..