Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery programs and never a Pick 5

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10350 Posts
Posted: December 29, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Ever notice on thsoe lottery programs they show on Discovery and TLC they've never shown a pick 5 winner?

They have shown people who have won some nice prizes on scratchers, one recently aired one (was a repeat or an update) showed a woman in Virginia who hit a scratcher for $500,000.

I know the Illinois Little Lotto has been over a million a couple of times or more, and I'm sure other pick 5s have too.

I guess pick 5 just gets "no respect". 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: December 29, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Ever notice on thsoe lottery programs they show on Discovery and TLC they've never shown a pick 5 winner?

They have shown people who have won some nice prizes on scratchers, one recently aired one (was a repeat or an update) showed a woman in Virginia who hit a scratcher for $500,000.

I know the Illinois Little Lotto has been over a million a couple of times or more, and I'm sure other pick 5s have too.

I think its because, generally, the P5 jackpots are too small to be of interest to the media.  They (the media) always go for the "big bang" on anythng they show.

Like our local P5 right now is just over 100K -- that happens once in awhile, but it starts at 10K and keeps rolling if not hit. It will often get hit, it seems, when its less than 50K.  Once it gets to 100K it is almost always hit in a couple of days.  So the woman you mentioned winning 500K on a scratcher is a bigger story than a lot of P5 games.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
      Member #10720
      January 23, 2005
      933 Posts
      Posted: December 29, 2007, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Sometimes because there are stories behind the winners like people fighting over a ticket found in a trash bin or a defective ticket. I've seen stories online about Pick 5 winners, but also a Pick 5 win after taxes even a 500K win is just enough to buy a home and pay off a few bills.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: December 29, 2007, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes because there are stories behind the winners like people fighting over a ticket found in a trash bin or a defective ticket. I've seen stories online about Pick 5 winners, but also a Pick 5 win after taxes even a 500K win is just enough to buy a home and pay off a few bills.

Yeah, a half-million bucks (or even a million) before taxes, just isn't the life-changing event it used to be.  It's nice, and it would, like you say, pay off some bills. But you can't retire on it, and it just makes things a bit easier for the person if they play it right. Therefore, its not much of a story from the media's standpoint.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: December 29, 2007, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Pick5 games seldom payout a prize of $500,000 or more.  Ohio's Rolling Cash5 have winners usually every week but the jackpots seldom get over $300,000 and stories about those size prizes aren't very interesting except to the winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2007, 9:04 am - IP Logged

If someone were to win a p5 regularly, even a few times a year, it would get some attention.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7308 Posts
              Posted: December 30, 2007, 10:13 am - IP Logged

If someone were to win a p5 regularly, even a few times a year, it would get some attention.

West Virginia has a 6/25 game that pays $25,000 for matching all 6 numbers and last summer one person had 7 winning tickets.

A few years ago an Ohioan had over 50 tickets on the same combination in the Buckeye 5 and that made the news because the top prize was $100,000, the aggregate payoff was $1 million, and there was another winning ticket. The Ohio Lottery did the right thing and paid the one player $100,000 and gave $1,000,000 to the player with the 50 winning tickets. 

NASHVILLE, TENN
                United States
                Member #33372
                February 20, 2006
                1044 Posts
                Posted: December 30, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, a half-million bucks (or even a million) before taxes, just isn't the life-changing event it used to be.  It's nice, and it would, like you say, pay off some bills. But you can't retire on it, and it just makes things a bit easier for the person if they play it right. Therefore, its not much of a story from the media's standpoint.

I think that depends on how old one is.  $500,000 win would do me the rest of my life.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5120 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2008, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Pick5 games seldom payout a prize of $500,000 or more.  Ohio's Rolling Cash5 have winners usually every week but the jackpots seldom get over $300,000 and stories about those size prizes aren't very interesting except to the winners.

support>>>>>>>

PICK-5    >>>>>>>!

GAME'$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO