Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: "My numbers"

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 9 years ago by lottolaughs.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Is there really such a thing as "my numbers"?

MY numbers are MY numbers! [ 10 ]  [35.71%]
Of course- and I dare aynone else to use them [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
If anyone hits with mine, they cut me in [ 1 ]  [3.57%]
We're not talking intellectual property [ 8 ]  [28.57%]
Think so? Prove it! [ 5 ]  [17.86%]
My set is copyrighted! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Only if you use Roman numerals [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
My numbers, my music, my Dodgers, etc... [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2008, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

What do you say? Is there really any such thing as "my numbers"? (your numbers).

Is it just like someone saying "I'm listening to my music", or when a sports fan says, "My Yankees, (Dodgers, Cowboys, Steeleers, whatever...)

If you have a favorite set of numbers that you play and someone else hits usiing them you'd just have to share the jackpot, nothing you could do about it.

So why do so many people say "my numbers"?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2008, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Good question, except you didn't leave a choice for the "no" answer.  How about "numbers, schmumbers. I just want a big wad of moolah!"

I guess it's like saying "this is our song" when you know that if it was really "your song" then the recording artist would be unknown!  However, sometimes those 6 numbers are yours alone for that evening.  But numbers belong to the universe. 

"The Nobel Prize in mathematics was awarded to a California professor who has discovered a new number! The number is bleen, which he claims belongs between 6 and 7."  - George Carlin

Even when you say "my house" it's usually the bank's house.   

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of losing
    And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
    To think I did all that
    And may I say, not in a shy way,
    "Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10344 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2008, 1:03 am - IP Logged

"I've tracked, I've laughed and cried

I've had "almosts", my share of losing

And now, QP jackpots aside, I find it not so amusing

To think, I've tried all that

And may I say, not in a shy way

Well I don't want to win

Unless I do it my way!" 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2008, 1:17 am - IP Logged

My numbers are my numbers doesn't mean i have proprietary rights to them it means i have a collection of numbers i might like to play. Be them pick 3/4 or 5 games and mega or powerball. Anyone is welcome to play them. Some people might like my numbers and some people might not.
        I have a frend he likes 2928 and plays it every day. I think the number is not a good number to be stuck on cause it hardly ever comes out straight. I tell him many times why not find another number to play along with it. Or drop it he says if he drops it, it will come out. I tend to agree with what he says about that so in other words thats his number anyone is welcome to play it. My numbers is like a colloquial term it really doesn't mean anything other than a person has certain numbers they might be stuck on, like to play, or play all the time..

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2008, 8:22 am - IP Logged

My numbers are my numbers doesn't mean i have proprietary rights to them it means i have a collection of numbers i might like to play. Be them pick 3/4 or 5 games and mega or powerball. Anyone is welcome to play them. Some people might like my numbers and some people might not.
          I have a frend he likes 2928 and plays it every day. I think the number is not a good number to be stuck on cause it hardly ever comes out straight. I tell him many times why not find another number to play along with it. Or drop it he says if he drops it, it will come out. I tend to agree with what he says about that so in other words thats his number anyone is welcome to play it. My numbers is like a colloquial term it really doesn't mean anything other than a person has certain numbers they might be stuck on, like to play, or play all the time..

Yes, they are my numbas. In the big scheme like four4me says it is the combo of number like a combination on a lock in the lotto games, you can really check if they are yours if they have never hit anywhere else on the search feature here on LP, cause if they hit before they've been used. The p3/p4 are shared by the limitation of available numbers 000-999 and 0000-9999, raffles are your numbas cause theoretically each is unique. Colloquial is correct as four4me says.

Good topic.

White Bounce

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2008, 8:55 am - IP Logged

What do you say? Is there really any such thing as "my numbers"? (your numbers).

Is it just like someone saying "I'm listening to my music", or when a sports fan says, "My Yankees, (Dodgers, Cowboys, Steeleers, whatever...)

If you have a favorite set of numbers that you play and someone else hits usiing them you'd just have to share the jackpot, nothing you could do about it.

So why do so many people say "my numbers"?

"So why do so many people say "my numbers"?"

Because we are surrounded by numbers and people put greater significant on numbers that have special meaning to them. My license plate has a 4 digit double-double number and though I rarely play it in the Pick-4, if it does hit I'll probably say "my number hit and I didn't play it" because of human nature.

One of my pet peeves is when people claim ownership of a number and believe they "gave" it to you and expect compensation if you hit.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2008, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I want to add that the most important thing is whether or not the lottery would consider them your numbers.  The answer is no. 

"But your Honor. I'm 48 & my birthday is June 18, 1949  See? And my wife is 52 and her birthday is Jan 28, 1953  So for Lotto I've bet  1-6-18-28-49-53 for 15 years every week.  I told my neighbor and look what he did. He stole my numbers and now I have to split my $3 million Lotto jackpot."

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2008, 11:44 am - IP Logged

To add to my numbas lots of people might play numbas like their SS# their drivers license number, phone, tag, etc in the colloquial sense they are their numbers since they are their numbas.

derek7's avatar - speedykat
                  IL
                  United States
                  Member #34578
                  March 4, 2006
                  198 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2008, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Maybe it is just easier to say MY NUMBERS instead of longer MY FAVORITE NUMBERS... or MY USUALLY LUCKY NUMBERS... 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2008, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

I've never thought I owned any numbers or any set of numbers. I just play the numbers I pick and that's it. No owning of any kind going on.  It would be silly if someone actually thought they had a right to a certain set of numbers. 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49642 Posts
                      Posted: January 4, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I play My Numbers and you play Your Numbers: they may or may not be the same, but most likeky they are different.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10344 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

""But your Honor. I'm 48 & my birthday is June 18, 1949  See? And my wife is 52 and her birthday is Jan 28, 1953  So for Lotto I've bet  1-6-18-28-49-53 for 15 years every week.  I told my neighbor and look what he did. He stole my numbers and now I have to split my $3 million Lotto jackpot.""

And let's add:

Your Honor:

Hey, that's my wife and my birthdays and those are my numbers!

(Tune: You Take the High Road) 

Well you play your quick picks

and I'll play my system

so what if ye jackpot before me...

'cause I'm really warped

and millions or not

winnin' with a quick pick

would bore me

Lep

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: January 4, 2008, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I list "My Numbers" on the prediction board.. Everyone is welcome to play them.  When we win, we shall all meet and celebrate.  I am one that does not mind sharing, as long as you pay to play.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: January 4, 2008, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I list "My Numbers" on the prediction board.. Everyone is welcome to play them.  When we win, we shall all meet and celebrate.  I am one that does not mind sharing, as long as you pay to play.

You must be a better person than I.   I like to share and I've given money to total strangers, but if I honestly thought (and I don't) that an angel left the magic 6 Lotto numbers under my pillow one night, I would never publish them here.  I'm not saying anyone would even believe me, but I know enough people in the real world with whom I'd share my money, that there would be hardly be enough left for me, so I definitely wouldn't want to split the jackpot with 20 strangers I've never met.  Sure, sometimes I feel as if some of the people here are my family and really do care about them, but the reality is that any jerk can sign onto the internet.   If I won millions of dollars, I know many great charities that need the money.

Anyway, the reason I don't predict is that, for me, they are wild guesses, but I understand the fun & challenge people here have when they do it on the board.

pittsburgh
                              United States
                              Member #51040
                              March 25, 2007
                              457 Posts
                              Posted: January 4, 2008, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

well i dont play jackpot games so im not worried about splitting nothing with noone. i post on 3 digit mostly, i want everyone to play , u dont owe me nothing, if u win 500 on my number i bet you i got atleast 10 times that. and if u give me ur number i hope u got 10 times what i got on it because thats all im putting on it is 1 buck unless i like it to then i might get carried away!