Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How does that scam go?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 9 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
spy153's avatar - maren

United States
Member #28409
December 15, 2005
1198 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2008, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

You know those scams where they say you won so many milllions of dollars and all you have to do is send them the 24000 to get it ?  How do those work, exactly?  I have a friend who has received one of those letters with a check.  What would happen if they cashed the check but didn't send it to the people?  Wouldn't that be beating them at their own game?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2008, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

They check they send is a bad check.  It'll bounce in a couple weeks.  So if you didn't send it to the people, you still could be out bank fees if yours charges you for depositing a bad check, which I hear some are starting to do.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
      Member #28409
      December 15, 2005
      1198 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2008, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

so who do we report these people to?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19904 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2008, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

The check is no good.  The banks won't cash it unless you have a checking account and once the check doesn't clear, it's charged against your account with over draft fees. 

Some people use the bad check to scam a trusting friend by having a friend with a checking account cash it for them and then their friend get stuck covering the bad check.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2008, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

...ex-friend gets stuck.Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51295 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2008, 6:57 am - IP Logged

so who do we report these people to?

If it came thru the mail (Mail Fraud): US Postal Service.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2008, 7:57 am - IP Logged

Thank you all very much.  U.S. Postal Service it is. 

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51295 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2008, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

For Additional Info: Click Link!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2008, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Raven62 !butterfly hugs

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4586 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2008, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

On a side note: Recently went to my post office and there in LARGE print was a warning notice about lottery scams and how to report the incident. Made for an interesting read whilst waiting in line and it helped to read the examples they had listed. Then over at the bank they had a poster with the same guidelines about check cashing scams and how not to be a victim. I must say, I was proud to see so many notices to get the word out. The bank and the post office are definitely taking a pro active role to get the word out. 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      700 Posts
                      Posted: January 12, 2008, 11:15 am - IP Logged

On a side note: Recently went to my post office and there in LARGE print was a warning notice about lottery scams and how to report the incident. Made for an interesting read whilst waiting in line and it helped to read the examples they had listed. Then over at the bank they had a poster with the same guidelines about check cashing scams and how not to be a victim. I must say, I was proud to see so many notices to get the word out. The bank and the post office are definitely taking a pro active role to get the word out. 

Western Union is getting proactive because some of the scammers use Western Union money transfer services in their scams.  At a couple of local grocery stores providing these services, there are signs at the counter warning about sending money to people you don't know, for online auctions, to claim prizes, etc.  Hopefully people about to fall for this will see the signs and not go through with it.

As for getting money back for those who do fall for it, the chances of it are usually slim to none.  The money often goes overseas and once it's picked up, it's untraceable.  I did see an episode of "People's Court" where a man sued a long time friend because she asked him to cash one of these checks on his account and give her the cash and when the check turned out to be bad, other checks he'd written on the account all bounced.  His friend instead of sending the money to claim the prize, bought new appliances and stuff for her kids with the money and the judge caught her on that and ended up ruling against her, so the man got his money back.

In another case, a check cashing store sued a regular customer who cashed one of these checks and had wired the money as part of a Secret Shopper scam.  The judge basically told the man he had been scammed and ordered him to pay back the store.

In most cases though, the victims won't ever see their money.  It's a red flag when you have to pay to collect a prize and I don't know why people fall for this time and again.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"