Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Percentages of persons...

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bashley572.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Pick the percentage that you think you will fall into.

10% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
20% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
30% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
40% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
50% [ 10 ]  [22.73%]
60% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
70% [ 1 ]  [2.27%]
80% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
90% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
100% [ 15 ]  [34.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2008, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

10% means that you don't really care if you win, and just play for fun. But do hope that you do hit the JP.

And 100% means just that. You evaporate brain cells while you try to figure out how to beat the odds, and that you have no doubt that you will win eventually. And I mean for sure.....

There is no right answer. Just a demographics survey of the lovely people here on the LP. I would also ask the shy who normally wouldn't respond to polls, to make an effort for this. More data, the better...lol

Thanx.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2008, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

I voted 20%, would have voted higher but that 80 / 20 rule...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2008, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Never heard of that 80/20 rule.

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

There's even books a out it now, but basically it goes something like this:

In any given sales organization, 20% of the people bring in 80% of the income

The top 20% of the people make 80% of the money

In any given apartment complex with a pool, 20% of the residents use the pool 80% of the time...

It appllies in all fields, it's incredible.

I'd even venture to say that on discussion boards 20% of the members make 80% of the posts.... 

This is from the first hit on Yahoo, it's also called The Pareto Principle (from about.com):

How the 80/20 rule can help you be more effective

In 1906, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto created a mathematical formula to describe the unequal distribution of wealth in his country, observing that twenty percent of the people owned eighty percent of the wealth. In the late 1940s, Dr. Joseph M. Juran inaccurately attributed the 80/20 Rule to Pareto, calling it Pareto's Principle. While it may be misnamed, Pareto's Principle or Pareto's Law as it is sometimes called, can be a very effective tool to help you manage effectively.

Where It Came From

After Pareto made his observation and created his formula, many others observed similar phenomena in their own areas of expertise. Quality Management pioneer, Dr. Joseph Juran, working in the US in the 1930s and 40s recognized a universal principle he called the "vital few and trivial many" and reduced it to writing. In an early work, a lack of precision on Juran's part made it appear that he was applying Pareto's observations about economics to a broader body of work. The name Pareto's Principle stuck, probably because it sounded better than Juran's Principle.

As a result, Dr. Juran's observation of the "vital few and trivial many", the principle that 20 percent of something always are responsible for 80 percent of the results, became known as Pareto's Principle or the 80/20 Rule. You can read his own description of the events in the Juran Institute article titled Juran's Non-Pareto Principle.   

What It Means

The 80/20 Rule means that in anything a few (20 percent) are vital and many(80 percent) are trivial. In Pareto's case it meant 20 percent of the people owned 80 percent of the wealth. In Juran's initial work he identified 20 percent of the defects causing 80 percent of the problems. Project Managers know that 20 percent of the work (the first 10 percent and the last 10 percent) consume 80 percent of your time and resources. You can apply the 80/20 Rule to almost anything, from the science of management to the physical world.

You know 20 percent of you stock takes up 80 percent of your warehouse space and that 80 percent of your stock comes from 20 percent of your suppliers. Also 80 percent of your sales will come from 20 percent of your sales staff. 20 percent of your staff will cause 80 percent of your problems, but another 20 percent of your staff will provide 80 percent of your production. It works both ways.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2008, 12:36 am - IP Logged

20% of Pac's harem is going to spend 80% of his jackpotJester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2008, 1:08 am - IP Logged

20% of Pac's harem is going to spend 80% of his jackpotJester

That's ok, I always agreed with the rock band AC/DC. One of their song lyric part was..."Love me for my money".

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2008, 1:36 am - IP Logged

In the lottery, the percentage is a heck of a lot lower than 20%!   It's a small fraction of 1%.   I mean, if you add up all the PB tickets and then pick 1 winner out of millions....well.    Even in a small jackpot game like Fantasy-5, which often has multiple winners, if only 500,000 tickets are sold that day, 1/2 of 1% would be 2,500 winners, instead of 1 or 2.  I don't have enough zeros on my calculator!  LOL  Let's see 3 : 500,000 =  .000006

I don't think Pac was asking that question anyway, Coin Toss.  I thought he was asking for a percentage of obsession, that is, how caught up are you in winning the lottery.  What percentage of your life does winning the lottery consume and devour? When you eat, drink, sleep or make love, how much does the lottery influence you? 

Scared 

Oh, no!  I forgot to play my numbers tonight. 

But honey, it's our wedding night.

Okay.  Is there a convenient store on the way to the chapel?

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2008, 10:41 am - IP Logged

"Oh, no!  I forgot to play my numbers tonight. 

Okay.  Is there a convenient store on the way to the chapel?"

DVD alternative ending:

"Oh no, I forgot to play my numbers tonight"

"Me too, let's go get them in before the drawing"

And then they knew this was truly a match made in heaven! 

DVD alternative ending II:

"Oh no, I forgot to play my numbers tonight."

"Me, too, but what are your numbers?"

"2 12 19 26 33 40"

"Hey, those are my numbers."

"No, they're mine."

And thus the first divorce case based on the "custody" of lottery numbers came into being.

As a side nite, this caused quite a stir on LP when a thread went up about it and everyone was split just about 50 / 50 on who should get custody of the numbers, and is there such a thing as custody of the numbers.

As another side note, as the case dragged on, one of the lawyers played those numbers, hit Powerball, and was last believed to be in Switzerland.

Lep

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2008, 10:59 am - IP Logged

I voted 90% because of the 90/10 rule that rules any other rule...I win 100% and give at a minimum 10% to God and I'll easily be able to live and bless others with the remaining 90%.  Actually, as to what you really were getting at...I no longer obsess over the lottery, but I do make sure that I have a play for EVERY PB and MM drawing.   It has been said in my organization that just by showing up you beat 50% of all the others...so by me having a draw in for every drawing, I know I have the potential to succeed over those who do not.  So that puts me at 50%.  Add another 10% for the occasional additional pick...another 10% just because I feel my time will come someday SOON...and another 20% for the luck factor and that puts me at 90%.  Just having fun with this.  BTW if u aren't having fun buying tickets, STOP.  Also if you are like that old English gentleman (I could have used other terms to describe him but I respect his decision as foolish as it was) who refused to claim his winnings, please do NOT play to begin with if you don't know what you would do with the winnings.  At least give someone else the chance to win it, invest it, blow it, make a complete fool of themselves, or do great things anonymously...whatever, just let someone who wants to stake their name or trust to the winnings as it brings no one joy to see those winnings just go back to the state as unclaimed.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                    West Side of Sunny Florida
                    United States
                    Member #55048
                    September 8, 2007
                    3371 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2008, 11:19 am - IP Logged

"Oh, no!  I forgot to play my numbers tonight. 

Okay.  Is there a convenient store on the way to the chapel?"

DVD alternative ending:

"Oh no, I forgot to play my numbers tonight"

"Me too, let's go get them in before the drawing"

And then they knew this was truly a match made in heaven! 

DVD alternative ending II:

"Oh no, I forgot to play my numbers tonight."

"Me, too, but what are your numbers?"

"2 12 19 26 33 40"

"Hey, those are my numbers."

"No, they're mine."

And thus the first divorce case based on the "custody" of lottery numbers came into being.

As a side nite, this caused quite a stir on LP when a thread went up about it and everyone was split just about 50 / 50 on who should get custody of the numbers, and is there such a thing as custody of the numbers.

As another side note, as the case dragged on, one of the lawyers played those numbers, hit Powerball, and was last believed to be in Switzerland.

THAT's GREAT!!!!

Green laugh

Money won is twice as good as money earned!