Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No Privacy For FL Jackpot Winner

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2008, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

First, I was going to post this in the Jackpot Games forum, but read on and you will see why I chose Lottery Discussion.

Now, even as I write this, I'm thinking "Be careful. This is the internet. You don't want to draw a map to your front door by saying you know exactly where this man lives."  So imagine winning 1/2 of a very large state lottery jackpot and seeing your address in the paper.

The article in the Fort Myers News-Press did not say where in Bonita Springs this man lives, although if he doesn't have an unlisted telephone number, I suppose anyone would be able to locate him.  However, it's clear that the winner desired to remain anonymous and did not want a lot of publicity.

"Communications Manager Alfred Bea said Wu chose to reveal only the information that is required by law: name, age and city of residence."

So why did the Naples Daily News and the Bonita Daily News (same company) not only say what street Mr. Wu and his family live on, but also describe the home in detail? 

"The white, single-level Michigan Street house had a fishing boat about 17-feet long on a trailer outside."

I mean, why don't they just publish his personal routine like "He goes out for a walk every day at 5." Since this is public information, I know the man can't sue the newspaper, but it's apparent to me that reporters have no respect for a person's privacy. 

Here is the article:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/dec/26/bonita-man-claims-136m-lottery-winnings/ 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2008, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I agree, really lame on the part of the newpaper to reveal that much.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2008, 1:12 am - IP Logged

www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2007/06/20/lottery-plot.html

It's only a matter of time before a lottery winner gets killed in a state that doesn't protect the anonymity of it's winners. Lotteries want players to know that the prizes are won by real people but that needs to be balanced with winners not getting killed. If Lotteries were really intrested in assuring the games are not rigged then they can have mechanical ball drawings that are televised.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2008, 6:12 am - IP Logged

I know what you mean. Once I won 80 bucks on a box hit, and I saw my kisser posted all over town. In gas stations, bathrooms, and supermarkets.

There is a law suit pending as we speak. (Or as I write this...I should say).

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2659 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2008, 7:47 am - IP Logged

I know what you mean. Once I won 80 bucks on a box hit, and I saw my kisser posted all over town. In gas stations, bathrooms, and supermarkets.

There is a law suit pending as we speak. (Or as I write this...I should say).

geeeze H Xmas pacattack05...U'v got to be jerking our collective chain a wee bit ..... a lawsuit over $80 ........

one of these days all states will let the winners have thar privacy but I doubt it'll be in our lifetime Frown

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2008, 10:32 am - IP Logged

For $80........... That's crazy.  Why would they post your photo all over town for $80?  Crazy!  I would sue too.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

For $80........... That's crazy.  Why would they post your photo all over town for $80?  Crazy!  I would sue too.

In their claim, they said they wanted people to know that they had a winner in that store.

United States
                Member #4121
                March 23, 2004
                817 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

In their claim, they said they wanted people to know that they had a winner in that store.

I can't believe they even took a photo of you for 80 bucks. In NY they just photo copy the winning minus the winning codes.  So sorry that it happened to you.  Has anyone asked you for money?

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I can't believe they even took a photo of you for 80 bucks. In NY they just photo copy the winning minus the winning codes.  So sorry that it happened to you.  Has anyone asked you for money?

I've had thousands of letters from ordinary people, to organizations asking for money. I've had to change my phone number many times, and have moved 5 times so far.

It's just totally unbearable.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Pac writes:

"I've had to change my phone number many times, and have moved 5 times so far."

Isn't that to hide from the police and the IRS?  

Yes, I think Pac is joking around.  He likes to pick on me when I write a blog or start a new thread. 

Anyway, since Pac's profile shows he lives in Bonita Springs, I wonder if he's already visited Mr. Wu for a loan. 

LOL

I can't say I feel sorry for Mr. Wu since he is so stinking, filthy rich now.  However, I do hope he and his family will be safe.  I completely agree with dvdiva that it will take a death for the lottery to get wise.  However, sometimes I don't even think that would make much of a difference. Reporters can be unscrupulous in their methods to obtain information. But I do wish they'd let winners remain anonymous or at least make it difficult to get their personal info.  I mean, anyone can be found whether you win the lottery or not.  I just think they shouldn't make it so easy for every nutcase out there.

United States
                      Member #4121
                      March 23, 2004
                      817 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I've had thousands of letters from ordinary people, to organizations asking for money. I've had to change my phone number many times, and have moved 5 times so far.

It's just totally unbearable.

LOL you had me there for a moment.  LOL

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

LOL you had me there for a moment.  LOL

Blue Angel                            Surrender

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2008, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

"I've had to change my phone number many times, and have moved 5 times so far."

Isn't that to hide from the police and the IRS?  

That's besides the point.

Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            699 Posts
                            Posted: January 12, 2008, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Hmmm...

Here in Louisiana if a store sells a big winner, they usually put up a banner that says they sold a winning ticket.  The stores don't usually take pictures or anything like that for small prizes.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2008, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Hmmm...

Here in Louisiana if a store sells a big winner, they usually put up a banner that says they sold a winning ticket.  The stores don't usually take pictures or anything like that for small prizes.

I once got a free QP and my picture was all over the local papers. One of them was on the front page.